Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

white
    2001 Z28

enclosed trailers

I am looking at several 24' x 8.5' enclosed trailers. I have a 01 Z28 and am curious how hard it is going to be to get in and out of the car in this size of trailer. Anyone who has experience with this please provide feed back. I do have the option of going with a open trailer as well but i like the idea of being able to store items from the garage in there during the winter so i have more room to work.
    2001 Camaro Z28 - AFR210 V2 Heads, JPH Cam, Fast 102mm intake, TS 100mm MAF, NW 102 TB, FTP 104mm lid, kooks 1 3/4 Long tubes, custom Y pipe w/dump, BMR LCA,TQ. Arm,PH bar, lca bracket,k member, Upper/Lower A arms, AFCO shocks
    11.20@120MPH
    459 RWHP and 410 RWTQ

2009 Stryker Blue Pontiac G8 GT

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Funny you should ask...

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Here is the thread with the info on our trailer: http://www.ls1.com/forums/f79/trailer-shopping-147946/

We bought it last year and absolutely love it. It is a 100 mile run from our house down to the track and this has made life so much easier. Let me know if you have any questions.

white
    2001 Z28

Is the driver escape door on the side worth while? I have looked at several that had a ramp setup so you could utilize the full 8.5 feet and not just the area between the wheels.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

More pics:

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The door is nice for light and air, but I can't really use it with the Trans Am. The opening is too high and positioned too far forward to be of real use.

white
    2001 Z28

That is a very nice and clean setup. I guess i will save the money not opt for the side door. I have seen some nice used ones around my area but people still want new price for them.

red
    95 Z28

You guys with very mildly modified street cars in enclosed trailers are funny.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I'm working on it...

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by chevuman260 View Post
    That is a very nice and clean setup. I guess i will save the money not opt for the side door. I have seen some nice used ones around my area but people still want new price for them.

It really depends on the sill height and location of the door. I do not regret including it on our trailer. My biggest priority was that the trailer had to be aluminum. Every single steel trailer in our area is rusting by the time it is 2-3 years old. The powdercoating cracks at the edges, moisture gets in and then it falls off in sheets. Only steel on our trailer is confined to the fittings, axles, and hitch.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Jeff you're missing 3 important things

Tool box
    Cooler
    Gas Grill

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    More pics:

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size
    I happen to see an illegal gasoline container. If you get pulled over, they'll find it. Been there, done that one, and got scolded by the DOT.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Jeff you're missing 3 important things

Tool box
    Cooler
    Gas Grill

I haul the toolbox in the back of the 'Burb, we keep the cooler at the other house, and they have some tasty eats at the track... or we just go to the house. All is good.

Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    I happen to see an illegal gasoline container. If you get pulled over, they'll find it. Been there, done that one, and got scolded by the DOT.

Not sure what you mean. It is an approved container for gasoline. What am I supposed to have?

White
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by chevuman260 View Post
    I am looking at several 24' x 8.5' enclosed trailers. I have a 01 Z28 and am curious how hard it is going to be to get in and out of the car in this size of trailer. Anyone who has experience with this please provide feed back. I do have the option of going with a open trailer as well but i like the idea of being able to store items from the garage in there during the winter so i have more room to work.
    Mine doesn't have the side door, so I pop the t-top and slide it over & step out of the car, then put the t-top back in. Pretty easy !

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ That's a great idea. I always use the winch to load and unload our car, but if it ever dies and I have to drive it on, I may try that.

white
    2001 Z28

Not a bad idea. Going to look at a trailer today but it does not have the driver escape door unfortunately. Anyone know anything about cargo craft trailers?

White
    '10 ZR1

Not sure what you mean. It is an approved container for gasoline. What am I supposed to have?
    For transport within an enclosed trailer, a gas can should be made out of steel, and needs to have one of those "safety lids" on it - the type where you need to pull a lever to open the safety lid, and when you release the lever, the lid closes.

The other part is that it must be secured so that it cannot move. I'm not exactly sure if having your gas can in that metal box is good enough, or not.

Jus' sayin' - we almost got fined.

Here's a couple shots of my 28 footer. With a car stored in there you can see the extra room the long trailer provides.

I wouldn't go any smaller than a 24' trailer personally. You need to keep the car away from the back door at least a foot to compensate for any movement, and you need at least some room up front to get under there when you tie it down. I like the additional room up front with the 28' so I can get the car in and myself and friends can pull out the lawn chairs up front and get out of any nasty weather that might occur while at an event.

The rear is a dovetail floor inside with a very low hinged door,,,,so it's a piece of cake to get any low hung car in the trailer. I've had NHRA Pro Stock cars in mine that are literally an inch off the ground, goes right in.

Last edited by Firebirdjones; 08-29-2012 at 07:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    You guys with very mildly modified street cars in enclosed trailers are funny.

Except when you have to haul around $100k street cars it's a little different

^^ That's a great idea. I always use the winch to load and unload our car, but if it ever dies and I have to drive it on, I may try that.
    Yup Winch is the way to go, don't have to climb in and out of the car,,,and if the car breaks you can still get it in there without grabbing 5 guys from the pits to put their grubby hands all over it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information