Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

midnight blue
    2000 Pontiac ram air ws-6

Employer attendance policy... lol

just when I thought I seen it all. I just gotta vent.

So We were once again under a winter storm warning. I of course as I do every day plan on showing up for work. I had perfect attendance (something I take pride in.) We have had some bad winter days this year, but I made it in every single time, on time with the exception of today.

I left in plenty of time, early in fact just to make sure I'd make it. The 4x4 has not let me down yet.

So big surprise. Major accidents on the hwy. The hwy is at a standstill. I pull out my evil Kienvel book of tricks to get around the madness any way I can.
    With mere minutes to spare it became clear that I was going to be a few minutes late.

Now I could have just called it a day, turned around and got paid for the day while relaxing at home but not me no. I figured with numerous people getting stuck in the traffic that they would excuse it as they have before when we had severe weather.

Big surprise they are not excusing it. In fact I guess a month ago their was a massive wreck on hwy and over 100 people were late and they did not excuse them either.

Perfect attendance gone.... Motivation Gone..... In fact I am just pissed off. You would think your employer would appreciate the fact that you busted you ass to show-up to help make everyone some money but they show you just how well value their employees.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Were you the one complaining about how shitty your company was in another thread not too long ago?
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

He was and this is another one of those situations you can thank all the other shitty employees you work with causing. Its gotten to the point that there are no excused/excuses for absences in alot of companies. Its so easy for people to sue and file grievances that alot of companies have become super strict with things like this to make sure all their t's are crossed and I's dotted. So that if they fire you down the line you dont have a way to come after them. Hell my company wont take a doctors note. Its a absence regardless of why. Thank the litigious society you live in nowadays for crap like this. Also a side effect of unions. Since they have to have so much documentation to fire someone they will take it any way they can. My father was a postmaster so I got to here all about this one quite a bit when it came to the postal worker unions.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

midnight blue
    2000 Pontiac ram air ws-6

im not talking lazy people clocking in late all the time. im talking about a random act of god shutting down the hwy making it impossible for people to show up on time.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Just do like I do.........get a cot, sleep where you work, never late anymore. Who cares about family?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

You said you were only minutes late...so if you had left even earlier you would have been on time lol. Not impossible, but impossible if you only give yourself X amount of time. Better to be extra early than slightly late.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    You said you were only minutes late...so if you had left even earlier you would have been on time lol. Not impossible, but impossible if you only give yourself X amount of time. Better to be extra early than slightly late.
    He said he left early. I guess 35th expects you to leave 2 hours ahead of time to be sure you are on time lol. There is no way to know how much extra time you will need. Sometimes weather and shitty drivers make it very hard for you to be on time. My company is pretty understanding unless it happens all the time.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Just stating it isn't impossible. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, it does. OP has already stated in the past how unhappy he is with his company so this isn't surprising to me. I was just late to a function earlier this week lol. A coworker said he'd pick me up at 4:15 and he showed up at 4:40. We were 25 min late to the cocktail hr. I should have just left without him. I ended up getting reamed for it by my boss. I called and apologized... he knew why I was late. I'm not blaming my coworker though. I had a choice and I decided to wait for my ride. Companies expect these things out of their workers. Sucks, but that is how it is.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

you would have been better off just saying that you couldnt make it in...I never call out of work, but I also dont risk my life or other people's life by trying to get to work in bad conditions...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Yea, I've had to unfortunately being I travel for a living. This winter has not made it easy by any means.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post
    you would have been better off just saying that you couldnt make it in...I never call out of work, but I also dont risk my life or other people's life by trying to get to work in bad conditions...
    Driving in the midwest in winter isn't the same as driving in southern states. It has to be done if you want to keep your job. It snows all the time, if you were to call in everytime it snowed more than a few inches well you would be calling in almost weekly. Plus we are better prepared than many other areas. We have dozens in some area hundreds of plows/salters, huge stockpiles of salt etc. Driving in snowy conditions is part of living here.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Driving in the midwest in winter isn't the same as driving in southern states. It has to be done if you want to keep your job. It snows all the time, if you were to call in everytime it snowed more than a few inches well you would be calling in almost weekly. Plus we are better prepared than many other areas. We have dozens in some area hundreds of plows/salters, huge stockpiles of salt etc. Driving in snowy conditions is part of living here.
    im not saying that you cant go to work...and I drive in snow with no issues on a regular basis. I frequent West Virginia, Virginia, and the Smokies in Western North Carolina where they get 8-18 inches on a fairly regular basis. Its also not flat like most places...so its harder to drive in.

He made it sound like his normal drive turned into hours which implies a little more than an inch or two of snow...
    Last edited by theorangeguy; 03-13-2014 at 07:29 AM.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Just talked to an attorney who was late to a hearing due to a pile up on the highway and the road being closed. The Judge fined him $1,500... so it's not just Knightryda's company that has no leniency. I agree that its a shitty employer policy to not take into consideration real life circumstances when docking an employee, especially when they have a perfect attendance history.

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Just talked to an attorney who was late to a hearing due to a pile up on the highway and the road being closed. The Judge fined him $1,500... so it's not just Knightryda's company that has no leniency. I agree that its a shitty employer policy to not take into consideration real life circumstances when docking an employee, especially when they have a perfect attendance history.
    My company does not dock employees for not being able to make it in to work in inclement weather - never have, never will. Some people make it in, others do not. Some people have a 10 foot drift in front of their driveways to get out in to the street, others do not. Every situation is not the same - we are lenient.

'89 Turbo Trans Am Pace Car (Mom's car now)

'68 Camaro - 572 coming soon

'67 Nova - 406 SBC, PG

'10 ZR1

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

Did you consider giving them a courtesy call saying I'm gonna be a few minutes late.due to an accident?

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    Did you consider giving them a courtesy call saying I'm gonna be a few minutes late.due to an accident?
    My guys always do that - and it's expected at the same token.

Arctic White, red/gray

Depends how late I am going to be. 5min not a big deal, 15-20plus I call. Depends on the job though too. Call center employees have to there on time.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Since everyone has a phone on them at all times these days, making a call while stuck in traffic, weather issue, or whatever the reason is, is a courtesy when you know you will be late for an appointment. It's a necessity when you know you'll be late for work.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

If it ever snows on a workday where I live I'm taking the day off, lighting the fireplace and calling in to let them know I won't be there...

FWIW, it's sunny and 72 in San Diego today...

Arctic White, red/gray

I would too since you guys probably down own a single plow or salter lol.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information