Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blue
    09 Nissan Altima

Emissions Standards

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090519/...us_obama_autos

What do you guys think about the new emissions standards the gov't is going to enact? I think it's the end of American Muscle as we know it...

LPM
    2000 Camaro SS

Unhappy

It's going to be the end of the North American car industry, at least as we knew it.

The UAW will be one of the big losers.

Kind of ironic.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

i think it's the forced change that is needed. the car companies have known for decades that this would be coming but they've done very little over the last 20 years to seriously increase fuel economy in all their vehicles. rather they have relied on small cars to meet standards.

i'm sure that there will still be car models that will be very powerful so i'm not overly concerned about it.

as far as the uaw is concerned. if this is the nail in the coffin that kills them then that's just fine by me.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Quote Originally Posted by 1MileCrash View Post
    i think it's the forced change that is needed. the car companies have known for decades that this would be coming but they've done very little over the last 20 years to seriously increase fuel economy in all their vehicles. rather they have relied on small cars to meet standards.

i'm sure that there will still be car models that will be very powerful so i'm not overly concerned about it.

as far as the uaw is concerned. if this is the nail in the coffin that kills them then that's just fine by me.
    Key words.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Forced change we can believe in.....

It's 1970 all over again.

Blue
    1984 Camaro

I dont think that american cars have all that much to worry about in terms of emmissions - you can clean up just about any gas vehicle to put out ulev emissions.

But the fuel economy thing is going to kill because every amaerican car weighs over 3600lbs and are getting larger every generation; not even talking about SUVS or trucks.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Huryk View Post
    I dont think that american cars have all that much to worry about in terms of emmissions - you can clean up just about any gas vehicle to put out ulev emissions.

But the fuel economy thing is going to kill because every amaerican car weighs over 3600lbs and are getting larger every generation; not even talking about SUVS or trucks.
    agreed. automakers need to find a way to put their vehicles on a diet. course that's not going to be an easy task when air bags are required (although side curtain airbags are not a federal requirement) and other things like crumple zones and side braces add extra weight. they need to figure something out though.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I was watching some on that this morning. They say it will raise the cost of a new car $1,300. But, also say it may be as high as $7000 per vehicle. That is quite a bit imo...

What we will have are a bunch of tiny cars that get better gas mileage but are not near as safe to drive

Nothing I would buy. I can't do putt putt cars.

Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    I was watching some on that this morning. They say it will raise the cost of a new car $1,300. But, also say it may be as high as $7000 per vehicle. That is quite a bit imo...

What we will have are a bunch of tiny cars that get better gas mileage but are not near as safe to drive

that is why i am sticking to old school ass muscle from now on, no new cars for this guy

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

thank you comrade obama.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    thank you comrade obama.
    Henceforth to be known as Comrade Chairman Obamao, leader of The Peoples Democratic Republic of Amerika.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Nope. I'm keeping my car. Nothing out there entices me.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post

just a side point on that. smaller cars being not as safe...isn't that relative to the size of the vehicles that they are hitting or being hit by for the most part. i mean...a silverado has a lot more mass and inertia than an aveo so obviously if the silverado hit the aveo it would do more damage than if that aveo hit say a smart twofour.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

just a side point on that. smaller cars being not as safe...isn't that relative to the size of the vehicles that they are hitting or being hit by for the most part. i mean...a silverado has a lot more mass and inertia than an aveo so obviously if the silverado hit the aveo it would do more damage than if that aveo hit say a smart twofour.
    the last time I checked telephone poles, overpass pillars, guard rails, and trees have all stayed pretty much the same size over the years.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Smarts SCARE THE FK OUTTA ME. I'd be petrified to go on a highway in one of those things. I saw one on the highway last summer cut off a semi. I sped up and passed both the Smart and the semi in case there was a wreck.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Smarts SCARE THE FK OUTTA ME. I'd be petrified to go on a highway in one of those things. I saw one on the highway last summer cut off a semi. I sped up and passed both the Smart and the semi in case there was a wreck.
    just saw a crash test with one of those. They're rigid as hell and even after a head on you can still close the doors on it. Great if you want to drive the car away....not so great if you're the lucky bean rattling around inside that can. There's really not much in the way of crumple zones because you're sitting in the crumple zones. I predict the sale of caskets and prosthetic legs will rise along side the increase in smart car sales.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    just saw a crash test with one of those. They're rigid as hell and even after a head on you can still close the doors on it. Great if you want to drive the car away....not so great if you're the lucky bean rattling around inside that can. There's really not much in the way of crumple zones because you're sitting in the crumple zones. I predict the sale of caskets and prosthetic legs will rise along side the increase in smart car sales.

White
    '10 ZR1

X1,000,000

my sentiments to a "T"

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    the last time I checked telephone poles, overpass pillars, guard rails, and trees have all stayed pretty much the same size over the years.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Henceforth to be known as Comrade Chairman Obamao, leader of The Peoples Democratic Republic of Amerika.
    100% agreed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information