Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2001 WS6

eczema? or fiberglass

For a few weeks now i've had some itching on my hands. A few red bumps, dry skin. it's on my middle finger knuckle on my left, and my right pinky and other knuckles on my right. I've put alcohol and hydrogen peroxide on it, and it tingles and stings. I had cut a hole in the front of the vette bumper for a supporting air mod, and it's fiberglass. i used a dremel, but with no gloves. Could it be fiberglass stuck in my hands? if so, how long before it goes away. If not...anyone know what this is? no one in my fam has eczema

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I am thinking ya got fiberglass in your hands. I have never dealt with fiberglass without gloves though. I have always been told to wear gloves when dealing with it.

Black
    2001 WS6

well honestly it was more fiberglass dust, from the dremel cutting the hole in the bumper. anyone know what to do to get it out?

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Looks to me like you've got some dry skin there. I'd start using some lotion and while you're at it, do something with those cuticles

Seriously, lotion applied a couple times a day may help

It may also be an allergic reaction. Maybe take some Benadryl if lotion doesn't help. Or, go to the Doctor
    Last edited by KahanaReef; 04-08-2010 at 02:59 PM.

NBM
    99 TA

Looks like contact dermatitis. Get some hydrocortisone cream (or any other corticosteroid cr you might have) and apply it twice a day. Don't use too much because it will thin your skin if its constantly applied and it looks like you already have some dry skin.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    Looks to me like you've got some dry skin there
    Pretty much my thought as well.

And I play a doctor on the internets.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

When you pop the little blisters, does liquid come out? Looking at the pictures it looks like my hands did when I was getting a bad case of eczema. I went to a dermatologist and got a prescription strength steroid cream. Applying twice a day it went away in a few days.

NBM
    99 TA

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    When you pop the little blisters, does liquid come out? Looking at the pictures it looks like my hands did when I was getting a bad case of eczema. I went to a dermatologist and got a prescription strength steroid cream. Applying twice a day it went away in a few days.
    doesnt need to be vesicles to be eczema...eczema is just an allergic rxn. But yes you could go to the dr. and pay the co-pay as well as the prescription to get triamcinolone or just use some hydrocortisone like I mentioned earlier. It will just take a day or two longer to heal....not trying to argue, just trying to save him a couple bucks.
    I feel bad when pts come in and really all they needed was OTC meds.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by peterlawl84 View Post
    doesnt need to be vesicles to be eczema...eczema is just an allergic rxn. But yes you could go to the dr. and pay the co-pay as well as the prescription to get triamcinolone or just use some hydrocortisone like I mentioned earlier. It will just take a day or two longer to heal....not trying to argue, just trying to save him a couple bucks.
    I feel bad when pts come in and really all they needed was OTC meds.
    No it doesn't need to be. However, the eczema I had was dyshidrotic eczema which is characterized by vessicles. The pictures he posted look like what I had therefore I posted my experience with dyshidrotic eczema and what I did to resolve the issue.

I tried over the counter hydrocortisone cream for a few weeks with no results and only increased pain on my hands and fingers and intense itching. A couple bucks for my copay and RX were well worth it for me to get rid of the problem.

Are we really going to get in a pissing match over eczema on a car message board?

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

I get those when my hands are dirty and im sweating. Or sometimes when its real hot out and i have to wear gloves when working on a car or something. when you pop those suckers lil ooze comes out. I think its like heat rash or something. It always goes away on its own for me.

NBM
    99 TA

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    No it doesn't need to be. However, the eczema I had was dyshidrotic eczema which is characterized by vessicles. The pictures he posted look like what I had therefore I posted my experience with dyshidrotic eczema and what I did to resolve the issue.

I tried over the counter hydrocortisone cream for a few weeks with no results and only increased pain on my hands and fingers and intense itching. A couple bucks for my copay and RX were well worth it for me to get rid of the problem.

Are we really going to get in a pissing match over eczema on a car message board?
    Like I said, Im not trying to get in a pissing match. Just giving my opinion...yes of course if the patient is already in the office, I'll give him some triamcinolone cr so he won't have to return. But it wouldn't hurt him to use OTC first, then if it still isnt healed go to the dr. Its a waste of time and money when I have to write an entire note when it could of been handled without coming in. (like I said, not trying to get into a pissing match, just hate when half the day is spent on minor issues)

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Cut off said hand and bingo.....problem solved
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

I get what looks like the same thing. I asked the doc last time I was in and he said excema (at least what he thinks I have). Got a script for "Fluocinonide 0.05% cream TEV" (that's what is says on the box). It works but I didn't keep it up (supposed to be 2X daily for 2 weeks) but I stopped after it went away.

Yup, it came back so I'm doing it again....

Black
    2001 WS6

the weird thing is i havent gotten dry skin like this before. Could it be the time of year? I've got this cream i could use.. its called skin md. so ill try that, and some neo sporin. Would eczema sting from hydrogen peroxide?

NBM
    99 TA

Quote Originally Posted by Ramairgod84 View Post
    the weird thing is i havent gotten dry skin like this before. Could it be the time of year? I've got this cream i could use.. its called skin md. so ill try that, and some neo sporin. Would eczema sting from hydrogen peroxide?
    I haven't used Skin MD before, but from googling it, looks like its just a lotion/moisturizer. This would work for the dryness, but you also have an irritation (the bumps). For this you need something to decrease the inflammation reaction ("steroid cream"). OTC preparation is hydrocortisone cream (cortisone). Prescription preparations normally used are triamcinolone or flunisolide (the former being more common where I've worked). These will help with any itchiness as well. The neosporin is an antibiotic, so it helps heal cuts faster by killing any bacteria that might be present, but does not stop the inflammatory process.
    Given the fact that you say this is the first time and ezcema generally begins in childhood/adolescence and flare ups occur throughout life, its more likely a contact dermatitis (ie: irritation from the fiberglass or something else).
    I would recommend some sort of steroid cream in the morning and at night before bed and you can use the skin md during the day occasionally if your hands feel too dry.
    Hope this info helps some. And no, im not trying to be an internet dr...its what I plan on doing for my career (for those that think Im trying to pick a fight on here)
    Last edited by peterlawl84; 04-08-2010 at 08:18 PM.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    Looks to me like you've got some dry skin there. I'd start using some lotion
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Pretty much my thought as well.
    These.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    And I play a doctor on the internets.
    This too.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Any type or irritation that you aggravate by scratching will burn when you use rubbing alcohol or peroxide.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

There's a first time for everything.

This past winter was the first time I've ever needed chapstick in my life.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Scabies......EEEEWWW!!

Black
    99 Z28

Dealt with fiberglass many many times. That looks like what happens for a few days after if you aren't mindful about what you're doing with it. You get particles of it in your pores and your skin gets irritated. It itches like hell for a few days and then it gets better. Benadryl or eucerine calming stuff is good or polysporin (NOT NEOSPORIN) is good and will help get it back to normal.

Something that helps when you're dealing with fiberglass, is rinse your hands/arms with cold water. It seems to tighten the pores a bit.

Scratching is a bad idea of course but you may get some blistering around there.

Oddly, the only other time I get things like this are when I am at the in-laws house and deal with their pugs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information