Wish I had an LS1. kickflippin1's Avatar

Exclamation Dream Theater drummer Mike Portnoy leaves the band.....

It was announced yesterday on Dream Theaters website, but I was just informed today by a close friend of mine.

I am a fan of Dream Theaters music, but I have to say I haven't really liked much of their stuff since Train of Thought. A few songs here and there on various albums afterward.

That being said, I am a HUGE fan of Avenged Sevenfold, and since their original drummer, Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan passed away in December 2009, Mike Portnoy has stepped up to fill in. He recorded The Revs' drum parts that he had already written, but was unable to record before he passed away, and is currently touring with A7X in the U.S., and will be heading over to the UK and Europe throughout 2010. I was pretty stoked when I heard that Portnoy was going to be recording the drum parts for "Nightmare", and I'm even more excited that he is exiting Dream Theater to venture on to other projects, and hopefully play a lot more with A7X.

Thoughts, anyone? Any fans of Dream Theater that agree or disagree with the decision?

Statement from Mike Portnoy:

I am about to write something I never imagined I'd ever write: After 25 years, I have decided to leave Dream Theater....the band I founded, led and truly loved for a quarter of a century.
    To many people this will come as a complete shock, and will also likely be misunderstood by some, but please believe me that it is not a hasty decision...it is something I have struggled with for the last year or so....

After having had such amazing experiences playing with Hail, Transatlantic and Avenged Sevenfold this past year, I have sadly come to the conclusion that I have recently had more fun and better personal relations with these other projects than I have for a while now in Dream Theater... Please don't misinterpret me, I love the DT guys dearly and have a long history, friendship and bond that runs incredibly deep with them...it's just that I think we are in serious need of a little break... Dream Theater was always my baby...and I nurtured that baby every single day and waking moment of my life since 1985...24/7, 365...never taking time off from DT's never-ending responsibilites (even when the band was "off" between cycles)...working overtime and way beyond the call of duty that most sane people ever would do for a band...

But I've come to the conclusion that the DT machine was starting to burn me out...and I really needed a break from the band in order to save my relationship with the other members and keep my DT spirit hungry and inspired. We have been on an endless write/record/tour cycle for almost 20 years now (of which I have overseen EVERY aspect without a break) and while a few months apart from each other here & there over the years has been much needed and helpful, I honestly hoped the band could simply agree with me to taking a bit of a "hiatus" to recharge our batteries and "save me from ourselves"...

Sadly, in discussing this with the guys, they determined they do not share my feelings and have decided to continue without me rather than take a breather...I even offered to do some occasional work throughout 2011 against my initial wishes, but it was not to be... While it truly hurts for me to even think of a Dream Theater without Mike Portnoy (hell, my father named the band!!), I do not want to stand in their way...so I have decided to sacrifice myself and simply leave the band so as to not hold them back against their wishes....

Strangely enough, I just read an interview that I recently did that asked me about the future of DT and I talked about "always following your heart and being true to yourself"...sadly I must say that at this particular moment, my heart is not with Dream Theater...and I would simply be "going through the motions", and would honestly NOT be true to myself if I stayed for the sake of obligation without taking the break I felt I needed. I wish the guys the best and hope the music and legacy we created together is enjoyed by fans for decades to come...I am proud of every album we made, every song we wrote and every show we played.... I'm sorry to all the disappointed DT fans around the world...I really tried to salvage the situation and make it work...I honestly just wanted a break (not a split)...but happiness cannot be forced, it needs to come from within....

You DT fans are the greatest fans in the world and as you all know, I have always busted my ass for you guys and I hope that you will stay with me on my future musical journey, wherever it may lead me....(and as you all know my work ethic, there will surely be no shortage of future MP projects!)

Sadly...
    Your fearless ex-leader and drummer,
    MP

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Wow! DT without MP is like GM without Chevrolet.

I 1st saw DT play back in the early 90's when Images and Words came out. Been a fan ever since.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Saw him open for Tool several years back on one of his side projects. Cant remember the name anymore.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

wow never saw that coming... that is really fucked up

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Thats the equivalent of Tool losing Maynard......

Yes I just smacked myself for even talking like that.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I'm not really a huge Dream Theater fan so I guess it doesn't matter to me, but I just know he is a good drummer and got to see him on tour this summer.

I can see why he made his decision though.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

well this shit sucks... they just had a new cd come out not to long ago...

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

dream theater without Mike Portnoy is like Pantera without dime...
    it should not exist.

he is the best drummer on the planet!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    well this shit sucks... they just had a new cd come out not to long ago...
    They are also slated to start recording a new one in January, without him.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Dream Theater is still a band?

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Dream Theater is still a band?
    25 years.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I knew they were a band 25 years ago...

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I knew they were a band 25 years ago...
    Lol. I have quite a few of their albums. I have only known of them since 2003, when i first heard The Glass Prison.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I've always meant to check em out, just never bought any of their shit.

Thread Information