Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dream House

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Dream House

1823 Windside Drive, West Bloomfield, MI For Sale | Trulia.com

Yep. Unfortunately, this is gonna be a little out of my price range lol, I usually see comparable houses in this location for double or more......

Anyway what's the pro's and con's to living on the water? I love water sports so i would be in love with this. Anybody here live on the water?

Post your dreams houses............

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Can't say I'm crazy about that house. A toilet in front of a door? What the hell is that about? Plus a 1 car garage? No way man. My opinion is bigger is not better when it comes to houses. A huge house with just you in it...you won't be able to maintain it. You'll find you won't use half of it either. More property, more property taxes. Living on the water - bugs, especially mosquitoes. You'll have to deal with an influx of people during the summer months unless it's a private lake. Houses are always way more expensive than what they're actually worth because they're on the water. Pros....access to the water for boating, tubing, fishing, swimming, etc.

Do you currently own a boat? If not, they're money pits. Jet skis might be a different story. Don't own one.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Can't say I'm crazy about that house. A toilet in front of a door? What the hell is that about? Plus a 1 car garage? No way man. My opinion is bigger is not better when it comes to houses. A huge house with just you in it...you won't be able to maintain it. You'll find you won't use half of it either. More property, more property taxes. Living on the water - bugs, especially mosquitoes. You'll have to deal with an influx of people during the summer months unless it's a private lake. Houses are always way more expensive than what they're actually worth because they're on the water. Pros....access to the water for boating, tubing, fishing, swimming, etc.

Do you currently own a boat? If not, they're money pits. Jet skis might be a different story. Don't own one.
    I do....you must of missed my boat thread, and i hope to get some skis soon, the garage is a 2 car. BTW that's what maids are for lol...........bigger is not always better?
    hahahah ok................remember this is the "dream house" my dream isn't gonna be practical lol
    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion
    I tried reading that article but it had too many words.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

If we're not being practical, then I'll take this lake house:

http://www.homedit.com/dream-lake-house-in-nevada/

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Dream Lake House in Nevada
    lol WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

red
    95 Z28

I could probably compromise my lifestyle enough to live in this shack:

this post is meant as a joke and in no way should it be interpreted as a serious or meaningful reply. The author of this post cannot be held liable for any damages, both emotional and physical, that may be incurred from the reading of this post. By acknowledging this disclaimer you hereby release the author from any and all liability

2010 Tahoe Z71
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V

I'm still confounded by this "boats are money pits" thing. I've owned boats for over 10 years, and my dad owned boats for my entire life. None were the slightest bit problematic. The only explanation I can think of is that that saying refers to the guys that find a boat for $500 with the intentions of fixing it up. No shit it's going to be expensive. Same as with fixing up old cars. The truth is, if you go out and buy a new boat or nice used boat, just as you would a car, there's no reason to expect it to be any less reliable than the comparable car.

Sorry, just had to rant about something i've never understood.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

I look at dream houses sometimes. Mine have about 2500 square feet and a garage of equal size. They also need about 200 acres. If I am paying 750k+ I don't want to see my neighbors..... or hear them.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Blakbird24 View Post
    I'm still confounded by this "boats are money pits" thing. I've owned boats for over 10 years, and my dad owned boats for my entire life. None were the slightest bit problematic. The only explanation I can think of is that that saying refers to the guys that find a boat for $500 with the intentions of fixing it up. No shit it's going to be expensive. Same as with fixing up old cars. The truth is, if you go out and buy a new boat or nice used boat, just as you would a car, there's no reason to expect it to be any less reliable than the comparable car.

Sorry, just had to rant about something i've never understood.
    It's expensive to own one is what I was referring to, not so much sinking money into one to get it to work or enjoy. I'm not sure how much you use your boat, or what size it is for that matter, but you can easily spend a few hundred dollars every weekend just in gas alone if you're having fun out on the lake all weekend.

The average person, even with a good job isn't going to be going out and spending 30+ grand (or a lot more depending on what size and options you want) on a new lake boat, so yes, most will buy used and need to fix things here and there. For example, our boat required a few new lights...and the speedometer didn't work. Everything else was pretty much perfect. If you ever priced anything for a boat you know it's all absurdly expensive, regardless of what it is.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Dream Lake House in Nevada
    File this under "Doesn't anybody proofread anymore?

From the article: "Made out of glass, concrete and steal"... I wonder what they "stole" to make it out of???

Arctic White, red/gray

It's expensive to own one is what I was referring to, not so much sinking money into one to get it to work or enjoy. I'm not sure how much you use your boat, or what size it is for that matter, but you can easily spend a few hundred dollars every weekend just in gas alone if you're having fun out on the lake all weekend.

The average person, even with a good job isn't going to be going out and spending 30+ grand (or a lot more depending on what size and options you want) on a new lake boat, so yes, most will buy used and need to fix things here and there. For example, our boat required a few new lights...and the speedometer didn't work. Everything else was pretty much perfect. If you ever priced anything for a boat you know it's all absurdly expensive, regardless of what it is.
    Everything is a little different on a boat. Being on water and what not things need to be engineered differently in most cases. That makes them more expensive as most people need a car... not so much a boat. I agree though I get sticker shock when I look at new boat engines. I can literally have a 2, 3 or 4 small blocks built for the price of a new marine engine. Even more so now that most are 4 stroke which makes them even more pricey. A new Honda 115hp is 11-15k depending on area and model.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 12-21-2015 at 08:21 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Boat motors are at least 1/2 to 2/3rds the cost of a boat. My Dad's pontoon boat has sat since Spring because his motor grenade after he took it to a shop for service. They did an oil change, plugs, etc. Next day in the middle of crossing a lake to get to one of his fishing hole's.....boom. He had to pay someone $300 to tow him back to the doc. Never knew there were ppl that do that sort of business, let alone raping ppl in price. And of course when he took it to the shop they washed their hands but offer a slightly reduce labor rate if they fix it. Kinda hard to do when the block is cracked.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Boat motors are at least 1/2 to 2/3rds the cost of a boat. My Dad's pontoon boat has sat since Spring because his motor grenade after he took it to a shop for service. They did an oil change, plugs, etc. Next day in the middle of crossing a lake to get to one of his fishing hole's.....boom. He had to pay someone $300 to tow him back to the doc. Never knew there were ppl that do that sort of business, let alone raping ppl in price. And of course when he took it to the shop they washed their hands but offer a slightly reduce labor rate if they fix it. Kinda hard to do when the block is cracked.
    That sucks, it must have been a lake with no one on it as most boaters will tow you back to shore free of charge. There are services in WI that tow vehicles out of lakes. They bring out a specialized light weight tube chassis vehicle with huge tires or treads that displace the weight over a large area and pull stuff off the ice. They charge 1,000 dollars every time they have to use the vehicle. But it beats the DNR giving you thousands in fines for polluting the lake.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 12-21-2015 at 11:24 AM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I understand why the cost is high. I'm not complaining about it. I'm just informing.

Arctic White, red/gray

I understand why the cost is high. I'm not complaining about it. I'm just informing.
    I try not to but I think 15k for a 115hp outboard is insane. But I'm also cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Murder after Midnight View Post
    1823 Windside Drive, West Bloomfield, MI For Sale | Trulia.com

Yep. Unfortunately, this is gonna be a little out of my price range lol, I usually see comparable houses in this location for double or more......

Anyway what's the pro's and con's to living on the water? I love water sports so i would be in love with this. Anybody here live on the water?

Post your dreams houses............
    That's on the wrong side of the country for me, too cold over there, even though I grew up in Cinci, we still got some of that snow off those lakes up there and it wasn't fun. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near the water up there either, nasty snow blows in from the north. Pretty in the summer time, which is short lived, that's about it.

My idea of a dream house is a big garage with a lift and a paint booth where I can work and not be bothered, all located in a warm dry climate. Did that, I'm happy.

Only place I think I might be happier would be a house over on the new proposed Lake Havasu drag strip community DRAG STRIP
    All I need to do is pick up my house and garage and move it over there Then again, they are also currently building a dragstrip 5 minutes from my current house, so I may be golden after all.

Arctic White, red/gray

The lake weather goes both ways. Sometimes it dumps lake effect weather on you and sometimes it sucks the storms out over it and you get far less of a storm than those a few miles away or more. It also keeps you cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    I try not to but I think 15k for a 115hp outboard is insane. But I'm also cheap.
    why are they so much to rebuild?

Arctic White, red/gray

That 11-15k price is brand new. But for 15k I can buy an entire Honda car with 115hp engine. Like I said marine engines are expensive. They are built well though and made to run at constant high rpms. They are also engineered for the water. Sealed up, water injections, water cooled headers etc.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 12-21-2015 at 12:30 PM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by Murder after Midnight View Post
    why are they so much to rebuild?
    This is why...

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Everything is a little different on a boat. Being on water and what not things need to be engineered differently in most cases. That makes them more expensive as most people need a car... not so much a boat.

Boat motors need to be seal and in some cases have water pass through for propulsion.

Also because they can charge that much....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information