Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

98 Formula
    06 duramax

dreading this.....

My neighbors are in their 70's. They have a son that's probably in his 40's I would guess. They're all really nice people that would do anything for you. My neighbors asked me a while back if I would do the brakes on their sons truck for him. I said I would and then forgot about it and he never came by or anything. He stopped over today. I guess his brakes are completely shot.....he said they're grinding real bad and he has to put the truck in neutral to get it to stop. I can't imagine what I'm going to find when I take the wheels off this thing. Sounds like it's in bad shape. I hate working on stuff that's been abused but I'll do it because I said I would and they would do anything for me.
    He's also disabled ( hit a deer on a motorcycle a few years ago) and on disability so it's not like I'm even going to make much money off of it. I doubt I'll charge him anything really. His mom/dad offer tons of stuff to us all the time and never accept money for it. It's like my father in law told me one time in the middle of a nightmare brake job for my sister in law....."no good deed goes unpunished".
    I'm gonna open this POS up and spend a couple days beating and replacing shit would be my best guess.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I understand, I get that ever time my niece has a problem with her POS. I've raised her the last 4 yrs so she feels like my daughter but at the same time I have to let her learn how to do stuff & have the hardships of being an adult now.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yep......my kids will work on their own shit for sure. At least my boy will.....I wouldn't force Chloe to do it but I have a feeling she will want to do it....that's just how she is. This guy nor his parents are physically able to do it and I'm not sure when the last time you went to a brake shop is but a brake job is insanely expensive these days. I'm sure he doesn't get a bunch of money on disability. I guess I'll just call this one of those neighborly things. I have no doubt they'll return the favor at some point.

red
    95 Z28

Eh, you may be ok just throwing rotors and pads on it. If this is a truck with an integral front hub or has drums on the rear, have fun with the tons of other shit that might need replaced.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    Eh, you may be ok just throwing rotors and pads on it. If this is a truck with an integral front hub or has drums on the rear, have fun with the tons of other shit that might need replaced.
    that's what I'm dreading......I believe it's an early 2000's silverado 2500hd. I've never looked at it real close when it's over there.

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

If its a 4wd the rotors just slide on and off. I think 2wds are the same

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

I dont know whats really to dread, I mean it won't be fun but recently did the brakes on a 1990 1500 that hadn't had new brakes in almost 100kmiles, it was a stick plow truck and was compelte rust. Took me 2-3 hours to do the rear drums, shoes and just replaced the springs and clips and about 2 hours to do the front rotors and pads. Lots of WD40, a brass hammer and a torch.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

hey atleast you dont have asshole neighbors and you actually like them.. id do it for my neighbors if they were that cool and had problems..

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    I dont know whats really to dread, I mean it won't be fun but recently did the brakes on a 1990 1500 that hadn't had new brakes in almost 100kmiles, it was a stick plow truck and was compelte rust. Took me 2-3 hours to do the rear drums, shoes and just replaced the springs and clips and about 2 hours to do the front rotors and pads. Lots of WD40, a brass hammer and a torch.
    I used to have pictures of a brake job I did for a girl my wife works with. Supposed to be just an easy pad replacement. Took the front wheels off and the passenger inside pad was completely missing.....the piston was what was stopping the car. Not exactly what I spend my days waiting to do.......fix someone else's stuff because they put it off waaaay too long. If this guy is having to shift into neutral to get the truck to stop because the motor at idle will push through the brakes what kinda shape do you reckon those are gonna be in? It's not gonna be a couple hours worth of work.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatikgixxer View Post
    hey atleast you dont have asshole neighbors and you actually like them.. id do it for my neighbors if they were that cool and had problems..
    yeah....it could be worse for sure. Like I said....they're good people. They have another son that's a nice guy too.....I'm actually going to his place on Wed. to shoot with him for a while and sight in some guns. None of the brothers get along with the disabled one though....family stuff so I stay out of it and don't ask. He's never been anything but nice to me so as long as it stays that way I'm good with that.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

IMHO a brake job is one of the easiest things to do no matter what you find behind the wheels..

At least you're not helping change an engine or trany or both, (been there done that) for free..

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

We also have elderly neighbors and try to do what we can for them -- nicest people in the world. Hope all goes well with the project.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    IMHO a brake job is one of the easiest things to do no matter what you find behind the wheels..

At least you're not helping change an engine or trany or both, (been there done that) for free..
    IMO a brake job is one of the shittiest things to do right up there with exhaust work.

99 Formula

post pics , get this bitch done

Gray/ White

I bet you need to make some new steel lines for this one in addition to everything else it'll need

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    IMO a brake job is one of the shittiest things to do right up there with exhaust work.
    I like doing exhaust work..

It's all about the right tools imho..
    Last edited by Smittro; 11-22-2011 at 05:55 AM.

Gray/ White

On a lift its all easy to do. On your back certain things like exhaust work suck ass

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Brakes don't bother me a bit. Realy haven't had to do all that much exhaust work through the years. I don't count bolting on a new system as exhaust work.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    On a lift its all easy to do. On your back certain things like exhaust work suck ass
    agreed....I also notice the older I get the more it sucks to work on the ground.

Gray/ White

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    agreed....I also notice the older I get the more it sucks to work on the ground.
    I hate working on the ground. Work spoils me with lifts

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information