Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

Drag Racing on the street

Well last night I got caught, yes I'm a dumbass, I might play around from time to time but I had a retard in a red LS1 camaro pull up next to me on the 4-lane here in Knoxville so we hit it from about 35 to about 70 and let out. Of course I was the one pulled over, luckily the cop was cool about it but he had to give me a ticket for Drag Racing. It had the block " Other " checked with Drag Racing 55-10-502 written below it. He told me I could just pay the ticket or go to court. I plan on paying this but after reading the law in Tennessee I think I'm screwed. It's a class B misdemeanor, what exactly is that? Damnit I'm stupid, I just put these brand new 315 BFG's and the TT2's on the car so I was out riding around seeing how they handled and rode. I wonder how hefty of a fine this will be? Maybe I should go to court and tell the judge what happened and get a Defensive Drivers Course or something. Damn I'm pissed at myself. I've got class A CDL's too, shit, shit, shit!!

55-10-502. Penalty.

Drag racing is hereby declared to be a Class B misdemeanor, and any person or persons who operate a motor vehicle or motor vehicles upon the public highways of this state, or while on the premises of any shopping center, trailer park, any apartment house complex, or any other premises generally frequented by the public at large, or who is a participant therein, for the purpose of "drag racing" commits a Class B misdemeanor unless such premises are properly licensed for such purpose. [Acts 1959, ch. 115, § 2; T.C.A., § 59-1041; Acts 1986, ch. 842, § 14; 1989, ch. 591, § 112.]

55-10-503. Additional penalties - Restricted licenses - Revocation of license.

(a) (1) In addition to the punishment hereinbefore prescribed, the department shall revoke, for a period of one (1) year, the driver license of any person or persons convicted of "drag racing."

(2) Notwithstanding subdivision (a)(1), the trial judge has the discretion to allow the continued use of a restricted motor vehicle operator's license or order the issuance of a restricted motor vehicle operator's license to a person convicted of drag racing for the first time to the same extent, for the same purposes, under the same conditions and in the same manner as is authorized in § 55-10-403(d) for persons convicted for the first time of driving under the influence of an intoxicant.

(b) In addition to the punishment hereinbefore prescribed, the department shall permanently revoke the driver license of any person or persons convicted of "drag racing" for the second time within a ten-year period, and such person or persons shall not thereafter be entitled to drive or operate a motor vehicle upon any public highway of this state.

1 BAD ASS BOWTIE StangKiller615's Avatar

Black on Black
    2001 Camaro SS

I thought you was a cop??

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

Now Officers on here, from what I've read they have three different codes for this, a 55-10-501 is listed as Drag Racing, a 55-10-502 is what he wrote is listed as the most minor penalty and 55-10-503 has additional penalties. Am I correct on this? So if he wrote a 55-10-503 then it would have been a more major offense correct?

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by StangKiller615 View Post
    I thought you was a cop??
    Yes on the Military side, not a civilian cop though! Lot's of difference, I do Logistics for the DOD fulltime. I'm a Field MP in the Army Reserves

1 BAD ASS BOWTIE StangKiller615's Avatar

Black on Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 98-LS1 View Post
    Yes on the Military side, not a civilian cop though! Lot's of difference, I do Logistics for the DOD fulltime. I'm a Field MP in the Army Reserves
    Do you know anyone who could have the ticket thrown out? What happen to the other guy you were racing?

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

He kept on going, wasn't man enough to face the consequences. I do know a few Knoxville city cops so I'm going to call one of them tonight and get some advise. I think it's just going to be a hefty fine but if I can take a DDC and get it dropped from my insurance then I will.

My advice: HIRE AN ATTORNEY!!!!

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

the military ID didnt save you?

Future Super Trooper Mr. CarelessAndImprudent's Avatar
    '69 Camaro

drop the dough for a lawyer

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss View Post
    the military ID didnt save you?
    Not one bit, I've got military tags too. Guess that doesn't make me special Hell I'm just going to pay the ticket and be done with it, my insurance in going to rape me anyway so instead of dealing with the court, a lawyer and all that other B.S. I'll just pay the fine and drive slow. How long does it take for a ticket to drop from your driving record? Isn't it two years?

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

Get a lawyer. I think it can be up to 5 years for a ticket to drop off. If the lawyer can save you a few hundred bucks per year on your insurance you should get a lawyer.
    2002 Street ET Champion New England Dragway
    1999 Street ET Champion Oxford Dragway
    My Blog is here: http://www.downtime.com

1970 Fbody

Definetly get a lawyer. Just having a lawyer will reduce it down to something you can live with.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

wifey ain't gonna like this.... that sucks so badly, man.

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    wifey ain't gonna like this.... that sucks so badly, man.

I know, I called and told her, ( she's still staying with her sister ), and she was pissed off but it just a stupid mistake. All I can say is that kid in that red camaro better hope I never find him. I might just go to court and see what he says, maybe he'll be leniant on me if I tell him what happened and explain my full time job to him. I travel too much to afford losing my license. Damnit I'm still mad about that, man I've been driving like 10 miles under the speed limit since Wednesday night.

Black
    99 Z28

Lawyer

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

Not one bit, I've got military tags too. Guess that doesn't make me special Hell I'm just going to pay the ticket and be done with it, my insurance in going to rape me anyway so instead of dealing with the court, a lawyer and all that other B.S. I'll just pay the fine and drive slow. How long does it take for a ticket to drop from your driving record? Isn't it two years?
    it should make you special, i have more respect for service men / women than i do for police

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss View Post
    it should make you special, i have more respect for service men / women than i do for police

Thanks!

1970 Fbody

If you are going to just pay the ticket why even make this post? The best way to handle it is with an attorney, however if you are just giving up, at least take the time to go to court and plead temporary stupidity to the judge and see what he can do. Explain this won't look good in terms of promotion in the service or getting on with a police department in the near future and you will pay any fine to avoid the points. Might get lucky and have a judge who believes that being in the service should have some benefits.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

So who won the race?

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

Let me re-phrase my last post, I'm going to court and talk to the judge, tell him what happened and pay whatever fines I may receive in hope that maybe he will let me off with a lesser charge or a three month probation period. There. I was asking what the punishment was for a class B misdemeanor and for opinions. I don't really think an Attorney or lawyer is neccessary for this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information