Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

White
    1995 Camaro Z28

Dose age matter?

After reading this: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122600

I got a little mad about how younger people are looked down at because of the actions of a few idiots. Im 16 and my first car is a z28, and I didn't get it because it has a v8 and is a coupe like most teen do. I got it because I really like the car, also unlike most other teens I know alot about it, I know what it can do and what it cant do. And lastly I'm not cocky, and I dont show it off like most kids do.

Example: At my school, there is some spoiled kid who "claims" that he has a Shelby Mustang gt(the new one) when I went to go do some car talk I told him that I had a z28 myself. All of a sudden, "My car will smoke that piece of crap!" Naturally I don't go off on him and ask ok how much hp dose it have? He said like 550. I almost dropped dead laughing, and as it turns out its a v6 with a cheap $10 shelby sticker that wasn't put on properly.

So,

Firstly. Do you think that it is a appropriate car for someone my age?

Secondly: How do you feel overall about the whole teen - car thing?

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Generally I think its best for a teen to worry about learning how to drive safely in traffic, road hazards and the many obstacles you face while driving as opposed to performance. I had to wait to get my fast car and bought and built it myself, had i had access to such a car at 17, i might not be making this post.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Age matters.

Regardless of your intentions, with age comes maturity and experience.

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

This goes back to ANY inanimate object....

A Bulldozer cannot kill a person.

A gun CANNOT kill a person.

Niether can a Car.

Only the person operating either one, can be irresponsible.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by FORD RECOVERY EXPERT View Post
    This goes back to Guns....

A gun CANNOT kill a person.

Niether can a Car.

Only the person operating either one, can be irresponsible.

But when something goes wrong a teens lack of driving experience often is what makes an accident happen or become worse then it needed to be. Its dangerous enough operating a regular car, they dont need to worry about driving a fast car when they have minimal time behind the wheel period.

You guys ever notice how there seems to be at least 3 "i wrecked my baby" threads a year? RARELY is it someone thats 25 and up. Even rarer is 30s and up. Why? experience. what to do when that tail kicks out. Avoidance, by not womping on it when theres wet leaves on the ground. Not speeding just to impress a girl. Its all stuff that happens, and i sure as shit could have made a thread " i crashed my hot rod" had i gotten one as a teen.

Of course I fully expect a few people in here that got their first v8 at 5 yrs old and are expert test drivers for Lamborghini.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    Of course I fully expect a few people in here that got their first v8 at 5 yrs old and are expert test drivers for Lamborghini.
    sup

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    sup
    LOL

White
    1995 Camaro Z28

Completely agree about the experience factor, but you have to under stand I started driving when I was 13, in a 1994 civic. Now that might not account for anything, but I do know what can go wrong. Hell I have had my tail kick out when I was on nearly bald tires. luckily my dad was there to tell me what to do when that happens. Also I have never went more than 20 mph over the limit. Hell I even spent over 6 hours practicing how to park my car in a old parking lot. What I'm saying is that sure, most people who wreak their cars are young, but not ALL of them. I agree that with age comes experience, but with youth comes opportunity, opportunity to gain experience, and crashing isnt the only way to gain experience.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

There is a reason our insurance cost more until we get to 25. There is an auto x at great america this weekend to improve your "safe driving"

White
    02 WS6

Age doesn't matter. Experience does. However, experience typically comes w/ age. Having said that, I've known a lot of 50 year old morons!

2011 Prius

I don't think anyone should have a performance car as there first vehicle, a good cheap safe car, while learning the basics and other idiots habits is the best. Driver error or others error is not always the cost of a wreck, there's mechanical and natural. Not all can be avoided, but can be made allot better of an outcome, if you know what your doing with experience.

White
    1995 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SHines-IT View Post
    I don't think anyone should have a performance car as there first vehicle, a good cheap safe car, while learning the basics and other idiots habits is the best. Driver error or others error is not always the cost of a wreck, there's mechanical and natural. Not all can be avoided, but can be made allot better of an outcome, if you know what your doing with experience.
    Crashed your T/A I see? That sucks

silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

at 16 i knew it all, at 34 i know it all.... at 64 i will know i used to know NOTHING.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by krese View Post
    at 16 i knew it all, at 34 i know it all.... at 64 i will know i used to know NOTHING.
    thats exactly what im getting at. im 27 now but remember the kids that i would hangout with that had ls1's as like first cars right around 01-02 ish and they would drive like total maniacs like they were pro fuckin drivers. One kid finished off 2 WS6's!

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I believe a car of this nature should not be a first car to anyone. Start with a cheap piece of crap and learn that, then step up to a better car, then to a great car. I started with a 86 Ford LTD, then a 82 T/A 305, and then the car I have now. I do believe there are some responsible younger people but experience is the key. To each their own tho....
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    Start with a cheap piece of crap and learn that,
    That's what I'm doing.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

You can say i have such and such experience for this long but it doesnt count for everything. As much as some say age doesnt it does, we have all been there. I started driving my dads truck when i was 14 but that didnt make me a safer driver at 17. While yeah i was a better driver then most kids my age, it actually caused me to do worse crap b/c I thought I had the experience to handle it. With age comes experience but that can start any time. What you cant gain overnight is maturity. If someone from ages 16-18 hell even 19,20 comes to me and says they never did anything stupid in there sportscar then im calling bullshit and 99.99% of the time I will be right. You can say whatever you want but most of the time you get behind the wheel of a high powered sports car and that goes out the window.

2011 Prius

Quote Originally Posted by manarth5103 View Post
    Crashed your T/A I see? That sucks
    Yes, it was mechanical error. It took everything I had to keep from going into the other lane (opposite traffic) or a light pole... But with no way to get the power to the floor and going side ways, I think I fared out pretty well... Putting it on its roof.

Look at my thread RIP...

Also one thing I forgot to mention in there... Before I felt it go side ways, I herd a load grind then pop, then like a hope in the rear tires... You can even see the hope in the skid marks... That's when the car went side ways.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Age matters.

15'll get you 20.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    Age matters.

15'll get you 20.
    That's why you kill'em after

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information