Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Does anybody else seriously wear out grills?

Last week I bought another Char-Broil Commercial Series grill. They are dual-fuel, which means they easily convert to natural gas from LP. All you do is remove the orifices and hook up the gas line.

Our last Commercial Series gave us about four years of good use. I replaced the burners and flavorizer bars, but held off on new grill surfaces. Sure enough, the bottom of the fire box fell out soon thereafter! Lowe's sells these for $300, fully assembled, and I think they are a great deal. We honestly use the grill at least two times a week, year round. I've had more expensive ones, including Weber, but never got more than about four years with any of them. Now Char-Broil Commercial have SS burners and are guaranteed for life (burners only). They seem to be the best bang for the buck and the cooking surface grate seems superior in quality to what I was seeing on the Weber. I've heard to stay away from the "infrared" gimmick that is being pushed (too hard to clean).

I finally got to use it on Sunday. Bought some nice sirloins from the butcher and fired it up. Guess which one was mine?

Old (left) and new (right)

New one

First steaks

First fire of the season

The fire made my daughter sleepy!
    Last edited by jad628; 11-24-2009 at 04:57 AM.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

well... i guess it's more of the weather that wear mien out... but i have worn out the knobs and starters on my grills a few times... mine last me about 5 years... do you do the 1 flip method for your steaks???

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    well... i guess it's more of the weather that wear mien out... but i have worn out the knobs and starters on my grills a few times... mine last me about 5 years... do you do the 1 flip method for your steaks???

I keep it covered, but not under a roof.

As far as the steaks go, I sear both sides quickly at a high heat - 500°F or so - and then reduce it to 300-ish and flip it twice. I like medium, but my wife and son like them more well done. I baste them with a mixture of A1 marinade and some other "key" ingredients.

On T-giving, we are having a bunch of folks at our house. Gonna do the standard fare including a couple of huge turkeys (oven-roasted), but instead of ham, I am going to smoke a couple of pork tenderloins on the grill. Using a rub of brown sugar, onion, garlic, paprika, pepper, and salt. Using both hickory and applewood for the smoke. Wrap them in bacon too. It only takes about fifteen minutes to do them on the grill, but it's surprising how tasty they get. Overcooking them is what dries them out.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post

As far as the steaks go, I sear both sides quickly at a high heat - 500°F or so - and then reduce it to 300-ish and flip it twice. I like medium, but my wife and son like them more well done. I baste them with a mixture of A1 marinade and some other "key" ingredients.

On T-giving, we are having a bunch of folks at our house. Gonna do the standard fare including a couple of huge turkeys (oven-roasted), but instead of ham, I am going to smoke a couple of pork tenderloins on the grill. Using a rub of brown sugar, onion, garlic, paprika, pepper, and salt. Using both hickory and applewood for the smoke. Wrap them in bacon too. It only takes about fifteen minutes to do them on the grill, but it's surprising how tasty they get. Overcooking them is what dries them out.

i usually have mine covered unless i'm lazy... speaking of... i need to clean theinside of mine... i usually do my steaks between are/medium rare... i cook one side @ 300 for 2-3 mins... then i flip and cook the other side 2-3 mins... then i'll let it sit for about 5 mins before i eat it... i usually just use a combo of a1, worcestershire sauce, mccormick broiled steak seasoning salt, and a little milk...

i'm friggin starving now...

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Thank you!!! Ive had so mant dry ass tenderloins....this goes with anymeat......grow some balls, dont cook it so long, and youll be fine.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    Thank you!!! Ive had so mant dry ass tenderloins....this goes with anymeat......grow some balls, dont cook it so long, and youll be fine.
    I tend to listen to those who know what they are talking about, and especially with pork tenderloin, there are some hard and fast rules. First, remove that silverish membrane BEFORE you cook. Brining/marinading will work, but not always the best choice. A good rub thirty minutes or so before you cook will help get that nice exterior "crust" which helps seal in the juices. A little vegetable oil and a couple of strips of bacon wrapped around them add flavor AND juiciness. Cooking at a higher heat but for less time helps to seal in the juice. I've always heard to treat a pork tenderloin as a four-sided cooking issue. About 3-4 minutes per side, check for an internal temperature of 145-150°F, then take it off and let it sit near the heat source for about 5-10 more minutes. it continues to cook during that time. Slice it 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.

Good eatin'!!!

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

i usually have mine covered unless i'm lazy... speaking of... i need to clean theinside of mine... i usually do my steaks between are/medium rare... i cook one side @ 300 for 2-3 mins... then i flip and cook the other side 2-3 mins... then i'll let it sit for about 5 mins before i eat it... i usually just use a combo of a1, worcestershire sauce, mccormick broiled steak seasoning salt, and a little milk...

i'm friggin starving now...
    That steak and a baked potato was all I had that day, and I ate it around 12:30. I went to bed that night around 10:30 and I still wasn't hungry!

I am now though..........

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Oh, and for steaks, I learned a LOT by eating at Angelo's Steak & Pasta in Myrtle Beach, SC. I order the "Big Daddy" NY Strip, and it comes out to you on a hot platter still sizzling and popping. It is about 2.5 inches thick, but at a medium selection, it comes out almost rare. If you leave it on the platter for another five minutes, it cooks to a medium right in front of you. Searing a steak at high heat on both sides, then letting it continue to cook internally off the heat source for 5-10 minutes or so makes for an exceptionally juicy and flavorful cut of meat.
    Best $32.95 I ever spent (and still do every chance I get).

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Oh, and for steaks, I learned a LOT by eating at Angelo's Steak & Pasta in Myrtle Beach, SC. I order the "Big Daddy" NY Strip, and it comes out to you on a hot platter still sizzling and popping. It is about 2.5 inches thick, but at a medium selection, it comes out almost rare. If you leave it on the platter for another five minutes, it cooks to a medium right in front of you. Searing a steak at high heat on both sides, then letting it continue to cook internally off the heat source for 5-10 minutes or so makes for an exceptionally juicy and flavorful cut of meat.
    Best $32.95 I ever spent (and still do every chance I get).

that is why i let my steaks sit for a good 5 mins or so... also letting the steak sit for a little lets the fluids seep back in the steak giving it more flavor... also makes for less of a mess on the plate...

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I learned a lot eating @ Dicks' in Myrtle Beach . But I like my steak without all the bullstuff on it. Just a medium steak period. With mashed taters and butter, lil parsley, chives on top for a side..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    I learned a lot eating @ Dicks' in Myrtle Beach . But I like my steak without all the bullstuff on it. Just a medium steak period. With mashed taters and butter, lil parsley, chives on top for a side..
    that depends on the type of steak... if i'm lazy i'll eat a steak with no seasoning or marinade...

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Try Angelo's once. I guarantee you that steak is worth it. Nothing "fancy" on it either, but you do have a choice of potato OR spaghetti as a side (kinda unique).

I've never went to Dick's. I'm not big on being insulted for the sake of humor, and I know I'd get wore out in there.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

that depends on the type of steak... if i'm lazy i'll eat a steak with no seasoning or marinade...
    i just hate all that shit on a steak..

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

i just hate all that shit on a steak..
    my seasoning and rubs usually seep into the steak...

on a side note... since i've lost my char grill from moving a bunch of times i toss some coal in my gas grill and grill stuff that way some times... makes a friggin mess...

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

weber kettle charcoal grill.... still grilling strong after 15+years.... no rust, or paint peel. just the mess of ashes.. lol

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Glad you didn't forget the "@" sign in that sentence

I agree with some others here. I like the natural flavor of a steak. There is no need to cover that up with any type of sauce.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Glad you didn't forget the "@" sign in that sentence

I agree with some others here. I like the natural flavor of a steak. There is no need to cover that up with any type of sauce.

again... it depends on the type of steak... some steaks don't have much taste...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

again... it depends on the type of steak... some steaks don't have much taste...
    I agree with you on that as I have had a few steaks in my day that were pretty drab. I have also had some steaks that were cooked too long and dried out, which something like A1 goes well with.

My favorite is a Porterhouse though, which almost always has good taste.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I agree with you on that as I have had a few steaks in my day that were pretty drab. I have also had some steaks that were cooked too long and dried out, which something like A1 goes well with.

My favorite is a Porterhouse though, which almost always has good taste.
    Porterhouse is always the best.... if you can find a 2" thick, little butter, green pepper...perfect taste.

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by ibanez7 View Post
    weber kettle charcoal grill.... still grilling strong after 15+years.... no rust, or paint peel. just the mess of ashes.. lol
    I'm with this guy but my grill is about 4 years old.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information