98 Formula
    06 duramax

dodge version of vats..anyone know about it?

The wifes 05 durango is having a security issue just like vats on our cars. Anyone know how similar it is to GM's version and if it can be bypassed? I checked out a durango board but not much help there. I'm gonna take one of her keys apart tonight and see if it's chipped like ours inside the cover. The truck starts then immediately dies and dodge has a red light that indicates it didn't pass the security code so I know that's what is going on. Just have to see about bypassing it now.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Orion, was the battery replaced in the truck?

My stratus has it... but I know little about it. But I saw they sell keys on ebay that can be programmed alot cheaper than the dealer does. Maybe try moparts.com and see if anyone there can help, but its more for older stuff... but alot of tech guys in there.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Our '98 Durango had an issue that may have been in part anti-theft related. Started by the gauges all going out even though it woud still start. Then, it would start and die right away. Played with it for 3 weeks, before I found something called a "computer reset" while searching for an answer -- Disconnected the battery and then held the key in the "start" position for 15 seconds. Reconnected the battery and our Durango immediately started and hasn't had a problem since. Note that I had disconnected the battery several times during the course of diagnosing the problem with no effect until I performed the reset procedure.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I know the Dodges shut down after 5 seconds after a battery replacement.

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    The wifes 05 durango is having a security issue just like vats on our cars. Anyone know how similar it is to GM's version and if it can be bypassed? I checked out a durango board but not much help there. I'm gonna take one of her keys apart tonight and see if it's chipped like ours inside the cover. The truck starts then immediately dies and dodge has a red light that indicates it didn't pass the security code so I know that's what is going on. Just have to see about bypassing it now.
    If you have a spare key to the truck try that. Years ago when the 300Ms were new I did a key for one at the hard ware store I was working at. We didn't seel the transpoder keys(let alone knew about them) and it did same exact thing. You'll be able to rev it but once it settles to idle it shuts off.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

no battery change recently, did one about a year and a half ago. Just kinda started up out of the blue. Has done it with both keys now. I'm not sure how the dodge system works. Some work off resistance and some just have to have the key within a certain distance of the truck. I think the dodge is the later if I recall correctly. I'm going to go over the owners manual again because that's where I'm thinking I read something about it at one time.
    One thing that has been going on is the IAC has been acting up. I had to pull it twice over the summer and clean the iac motor. I don't see how that would have anything to do with the security light though. If it's possible I'll just bypass it.

Blue
    09 Nissan Altima

try out www.dakota-durango.com and ask some of those guys. they might know of a way around it.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by chiller2484 View Post
    try out www.dakota-durango.com and ask some of those guys. they might know of a way around it.
    I did some searches there yesterday and wasn't a lot of help. I plan on going back there this evening and searching some more and seeing what I can find. It's only done it twice. Yesterday and one time before about a month ago. I drove it last night and this morning and everything is fine. Very intermittent. Not really much of a problem yet but I'm just getting a game plan together for when it does become a problem.

Thread Information