Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do you think the dealer will let me test drive T/A

Well im 18, and i graduate school in 2 weeks. My dad said when i graduate he will co-sign for me so he said to shop around and find a T/A i can afford. (i can afford pretyy much any i want) So my question is, me being 18 years old, do you think the dealer would let me drive a T/A without my dad?

Quote Originally Posted by blk-ws6 View Post
    Well im 18, and i graduate school in 2 weeks. My dad said when i graduate he will co-sign for me so he said to shop around and find a T/A i can afford. (i can afford pretyy much any i want) So my question is, me being 18 years old, do you think the dealer would let me drive a T/A without my dad?
    If they go with you i wouldn't see why not. If they don't i wouldn't buy the car.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

I wouldn't buy a car without test driving it.

That being said, don't expect many dealers to let a high schooler drive a 300hp car.

red with black stripes
    2002 Trans Am WS6

the dealer will ride with you if you are interested in the car

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    I wouldn't buy a car without test driving it.

That being said, don't expect many dealers to let a high schooler drive a 300hp car.
    Ya i pretty much figured that.. although i learned to drive in a 2 gen trans am with 500 hp and an 04 gto.. i guess they dont know that though lol. Hell if they did it would probably be bad for me haha

They will let you take it out with them along... They are in the business of selling cars.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Ya i pretty much figured that.. although i learned to drive in a 2 gen trans am with 500 hp and an 04 gto.. i guess they dont know that though lol. Hell if they did it would probably be bad for me haha
    Well if that's the case then i'm sure your dad knows you're going to drive the T/A like it's meant to be driven....might as well bring him on the test run.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

Depends on the salesmen...how do you intend on paying? Cash or financing via dealer or loan via bank. If your paying cash straight up, bring a big wadfull with you. When I bought mine it was first time ever driving a manual car, wich I said up front, but one wave of the cash and they let me try it. Private seller though not a dealer granted.

well, im looking at some that would be around 20k... but i dont have any payments so i can finance it and have it payed off in year year and a half before i move out. o and its not that i dont want to bring my dad, hes busy and told me to shop around for one that i like and want then call him when im ready to get it.

3-Time F-Body Offender doozjamann's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Nhra Firebird View Post
    They will let you take it out with them along... They are in the business of selling cars.

Very true. Keep the radio off and listen to the engine. tire noise all that good stuff. Make sure you don't buy a POS.

Red
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V

now if a 18 year old rolled up in a very nice clean car like the one pictured on the left, would a dealership let him test drive a new g8, or in the near future, a new camaro?

I'd like to drive them just for sh!ts and giggles, theres no way I'm sinking 30K in debt.

NBM
    99 TA

most stealerships where i live practically make you sign the papers before letting you test drive a car like that. If you want to test drive a brand new escalade or a chev truck no big deal, but a 6+ year old WS6 trans-am... forget about it

makes no sense to me

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

i drove my 99 in 01, like i stole it and i was 18 then... they'll let ya drive it if you got a valid license and an insurance card w your name on it.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleLs1 View Post
    most stealerships where i live practically make you sign the papers before letting you test drive a car like that. If you want to test drive a brand new escalade or a chev truck no big deal, but a 6+ year old WS6 trans-am... forget about it

makes no sense to me
    I was 19 When i bought my formula, and the dealership let me and my friend take it out. I was pretty shocked when they let 2 teens take it out without them going along. I bought 4 other cars from them since then, and they aways have been pretty good to me.

NBM
    99 TA

Quote Originally Posted by Nhra Firebird View Post
    I was 19 When i bought my formula, and the dealership let me and my friend take it out. I was pretty shocked when they let 2 teens take it out without them going along. I bought 4 other cars from them since then, and they aways have been pretty good to me.
    I drove up to a dealer about 3-4 yrs ago, there was a black 02 ws6 sitting there, i pulled up in my 99 TA.. told the guy i was looking to trade up to a newer car with less miles, they still wouldn't let me take it out...

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

if you act professional, and looking to seriously buy a car, and you let them know that your there to buy a car, and not out for some joy ride theyll let you...and if you let them know you will have the money to drive it, that will also work.. i used to be a car salesman for a chrysler, dodge, jeep dealership. we just look for the people that look well represented, and cleaner type, not the grungy type, and just dont act like a punk ass kid

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

i test drove a 98 formula at 18 ..car was brand new.....by myself!! i beat teh shit outta that car for the 10 min i had it...lol......any dealer should DEFINITLY let u test drive ANY used car u like even if it is with a salesmen in the car......there usually less likely to let u test drive brand new cars

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

depends on the dealer. they'll probably make you fill in some paper work and get the loan approved before letting you drive it-at that point, they're just covering their asses.

Love buying generic GM's Nastyfoot's Avatar

Black, Black
    2011 "Generic" Gasser

If you have a license (and I'm sure you do) then you can test drive it. It's not like it's Porche or high dollar car like that. The salesman will probably ride along.18 or 68, your money is just as green.

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

well, im looking at some that would be around 20k... but i dont have any payments so i can finance it and have it payed off in year year and a half before i move out. o and its not that i dont want to bring my dad, hes busy and told me to shop around for one that i like and want then call him when im ready to get it.
    20K for a car that is a minimum of six years old with a very high insurance rate (based on your age)? Please take our Dad with you... There is no way I would spend that much on that type of vehicle, of that vintage, especially from a dealer, if it was to be used as a daily driver.

You can purchase a real nice car, much newer, and probably with lower miles, better gas mileage, lower insurance rates, and better ride for that type of money. Don't get me wrong, I love TAs, but you should be looking at spending half that amount for something appropriate for daily driving in my opinion (even TAs)...
    2002 Street ET Champion New England Dragway
    1999 Street ET Champion Oxford Dragway
    My Blog is here: http://www.downtime.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information