View Poll Results: Do nurses have more knowledge than doctors?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 22.09%
  • No

67 77.91%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Do nurses have more knowledge than doctors?

According to one chap on this board, "most nurses have more knowledge than alot of doctors, ALOT have gone to school almost as long as a doctor they just do not have the title. Im sure if you talked to a well trained nurse she could tell your more about the medication you would be taking than a doctor."

Do you agree with this?

04 GTO QuickSilver
    95 MarkVIII wifey white

Yes actually I do believe this.
    04/A4 Quicksilver
    Magnflow catback-Resonator delete
    K&N drop in
    SAP front Grills and 05 hood
    Limo tinted windows-Gets me pulled over alot
    Diablosport Predator (RWTD) tune.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Yes x2... only thing Doctor is interest in is selling you some new pill and making that $$$$$

DisCrete
    Quote Originally Posted by apache View Post
    According to one chap on this board, "most nurses have more knowledge than alot of doctors, ALOT have gone to school almost as long as a doctor they just do not have the title. Im sure if you talked to a well trained nurse she could tell your more about the medication you would be taking than a doctor."

Do you agree with this?
    Can't say I do....

Unlike a nurse, they can't perform brain surgery... can they? I'd much rather trust them with antibiotics than cutting open my melon, and hoping they get the tumor out, and not my brain.

04 GTO QuickSilver
    95 MarkVIII wifey white

And I have been through the mill with more than my fair share of Hospitals ie: 2 back (disc) surgeries and 2 hernia repair surgeries.
    I can also say that nurses do care about you more vs doc.s

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Quote Originally Posted by DisCrete View Post
    Can't say I do....

Unlike a nurse, they can't perform brain surgery... can they? I'd much rather trust them with antibiotics than cutting open my melon, and hoping they get the tumor out, and not my brain.
    I dont want to sound like a smart ass .. But Doctors dont do surgery, Surgeons do....

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I hope that docs can't go to a 2year tech school to get a degree like nurses can. It depends on the level of the nursing degree. Some nurses know alot and other don't know more than a CNA. I know CNA's that know more than nurses. I certainly wouldn't say that all docs know more than all nurses, but I think that most do. It's like saying all male drivers are better than female drivers.

Black/Red
    2005 GTO

A friend of mine is a nurse an RN and she would never claim to know more than a doctor.

The specific quote in the original post does not surprise me. Nurses have many fewer patients than doctors and routinely dispense medication.

I don't want this to come across as my putting down nurses, because I think they are a valuable part of the medical field, but they do the things that doctors can't be bothered to do. As such I would expect them to know more about the things they do repeatedly every day than a doctor that may not have dispensed medicine since medical school.

Do nurses know more? I'd say no, but what they do know is different than doctors.

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I sure hope that docs can't go to a 2 year tech school for a degree like nurses can. It also depends on the level of their degree with experience and continuing education. Sure some of the old timer docs are out of touch and forgot alot of things and what not. I know CNA's that know just as much as some nurses. I know alot of really cocky nurses that think they are the shit just because they are called a nurse and overstep their boundries and screw shit up and blame it on the docs also. Last time I checked we called surgeons doctor so they are also docs with a different degree. Basically saying all docs are better than all nurses is like saying all male drivers are better than all female drivers. Most may be, but not in all cases.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Regardless of how much "knowledge" they have, they each have different jobs to do.

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Quote Originally Posted by gwballin View Post
    A friend of mine is a nurse an RN and she would never claim to know more than a doctor.

The specific quote in the original post does not surprise me. Nurses have many fewer patients than doctors and routinely dispense medication.

I don't want this to come across as my putting down nurses, because I think they are a valuable part of the medical field, but they do the things that doctors can't be bothered to do. As such I would expect them to know more about the things they do repeatedly every day than a doctor that may not have dispensed medicine since medical school.

Do nurses know more? I'd say no, but what they do know is different than doctors.
    I agree with what you are saying, but to clarify the medication part...

If you are talking dispensing medicine in a hospital it is done by doctor orders with machines that only allow certain medications to be giving out. I sure hope a nurse can give meds from a prefilled machine that gives out only what is ordered for that time. Pharmacy staff is what you are dependent on when the machines are filled. If you never saw a med machine they are like a large ATM that gives drugs and not money. Nurses are only allowed to give certain other medications.

Quote Originally Posted by apache View Post

Do you agree with this?
    This is my quote he is doing in attempting to up me in the political section. If anyone has ever delt with hospitals they will know alot of nursing staff have the knowledge.

The sandy vagina bug must be going around BTW i also wonder who's troll apached is...hmmm
    Last edited by Bigrus; 10-12-2006 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GOT1GOAT View Post
    And I have been through the mill with more than my fair share of Hospitals ie: 2 back (disc) surgeries and 2 hernia repair surgeries.
    I can also say that nurses do care about you more vs doc.s
    Agreed alot of nurses also have been in the field long enough to know more than doctors out of school. Honestly how could a nurse not pick up all the knowledge that they see on a daily basis?

It like the difference between a shop boy and a master mechanic. Who would you rather have work on your car.
    Both are a vital piece of the operation though

Quote Originally Posted by onyx_rock View Post
    It like the difference between a shop boy and a master mechanic. Who would you rather have work on your car.
    Both are a vital piece of the operation though
    thats still not a real fair comparison. would an RN thats been in the nursing field for 20+ years be considered "a shop boy" ? As far as the question about nurses knowing as much about the medications as the doctor i can definitely believe that but the doctor still has way more book knowledge than most nurses. my wife is an LPN and she would never begin to claim that she knows more than a doctor or any other nurse for that matter. i do agree that nurses have more compassion in general than a doctor and tend to handle things with more understanding. just my .02
    Click for full size

RNs' are respectable enough but all of the LPNs' i have ran across are pretty idiotic and think they have been through medical school

1 BAD ASS BOWTIE StangKiller615's Avatar

Black on Black
    2001 Camaro SS

No, doctors go to school much longer than nurses.

Quote Originally Posted by StangKiller615 View Post
    According to BigRus, ALOT of nurses have gone to school almost as long as a doctor they just do not have the title. That's kind of like saying the guys who work in quick lube bays generally know more or are just as knowledgeable as licensed mechanics. They just "don't have the title". What eva.

LeMans
    2005 Corvette 2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    Regardless of how much "knowledge" they have, they each have different jobs to do.

Though I will agree that nurses have a broader knowledge span.

And ummm, not all doctors do brain surgery

Sometimes I think Im smarter than my vet most days. He thought dolphins didnt have blow holes

LeMans
    2005 Corvette 2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by StangKiller615 View Post

More schooling means smarter?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information