Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Do any of you workout?

Just joined a local gym and had a meeting with my trainer. She advised that I drink Whey Protein Isolate twice a day (about 25 grams per serving). The problem is that I dont know if it will be enough to build muscle. I dont want to win a worlds strongest man competition but I want to increase my muscle mass and get cuts on arms, legs, chest etc... All my friends use creatine but I heard 2 problems with it.
    1) You gain a lot of water weight from it
    2) Once you stop your muscle's will shrink. You wont be able to lift as much so your basically building "fake" muscles.

If I keep using only why protein, how fast can I see results if I lift Mon-Fri, and take Sat and Sun off? I just dont know if whey alone is going to be enough to build muscle. Sorry to ask here, I didnt want to make another account on the other forums.

silver
    2002 ws6

as long as you continue lifting you wont lose muscle after quitting a supplement. muscle is muscle but you may lose a little water.

Ray Charles blue

Creatine made me bloated and have water-muscles and I gained pretty much nothing for power on it.

H-drol and E-stane and you will see some results. I put on 12 lbs of muscle in 3 weeks. The first week I didnt see anything then 3 weeks after that (4-weeks total I guess) I was 12 lbs heavier. Make sure and get yourself some tribulus and take that daily just for good health. Might not be bad to get some fish oil....etc

The issue with the protien is that too much and you will just shit it out. Clean up your diet and you wont need any "shakes". I dont put a lot of stock in "trainers" because most of them are weak as hell. It depends what you want to do though. Look good or be strong. Most lean people are not very strong and that is the truth. They are called beach muscles.

You dont need to work out every day either. The issue you will have is if you try to do chest one day and then legs the next. When you do legs you may want to take the next day off because you use so much energy and drain yourself. Mon/wed/fri is enough to get all your body parts in and it shouldnt take you more than 1 hour on any of those days unless its legs. Do cardio on those days and the off days and maybe 1 day on the weekend and use the other day to let your body rest completely.

Its not rocket science, you can find a work out on-line and get just as much out of working out as using a PT.

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

the only supplement i take is jack'd or hemorage just so i have enough energy to work out for a while

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

i've started working out a little bit again over the last couple months. i'm not taking any whey protein or anything like that. just running for 30 minutes and then lifting weights for 30 min about 3 times a week as my schedule allows me to.

i haven't lost any weight but i wasn't really going for that. i feel healthier cardio wise and i can feel that i am toning what muscle i had and building a bit as well.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    Just joined a local gym and had a meeting with my trainer. She advised that I drink Whey Protein Isolate twice a day (about 25 grams per serving). The problem is that I dont know if it will be enough to build muscle. I dont want to win a worlds strongest man competition but I want to increase my muscle mass and get cuts on arms, legs, chest etc... All my friends use creatine but I heard 2 problems with it.
    2) Once you stop your muscle's will shrink. You wont be able to lift as much so your basically building "fake" muscles.

If I keep using only why protein, how fast can I see results if I lift Mon-Fri, and take Sat and Sun off? I just dont know if whey alone is going to be enough to build muscle. Sorry to ask here, I didnt want to make another account on the other forums.
    Don't use the whey as a main protein source get that from food. Whey is absorbed really quick so it's good as a pre or post workout protein...or as a filler between meals. When lifting the recommended intake is 1 to 1.5g protein per lb of body weight spread throughout the day...don't down 200g's in a sitting or you'll just shit it out. Also make sure you eat enough carbs to maintain energy and to keep your body from using protein as an energy source.

IMO your workout schedule needs to suit your personal needs so everyones is different. Someone that sits behind a desk all day and someone that tosses cinder blocks are going to have different workout needs.

Stanger knows a lot about supplements and working out i'm sure he'll post soon.

blue
    1999 TransAm

25 g x 2 (50 g) will help you grow/maintain muscle... protein is essential for muscle development, and w/out supplementing protein it's damn near impossible to get enough through conventional meals - unless you eat multiple steak dinners per day! there are several "rules of thumb" i've heard from trainers, fitness magazines, etc - but about 1.5 g protein per pound of body weight (total protein intake, so could include contributions from meals) should be plenty sufficient for most people looking to develop/maintain muscle. personally i think this is a bit high, unless you're really getting serious about lifting.

for me i'm down to one shake per night, that seems to work well.. best times for protein intake (1st thing in morning/breakfast, after workout, before bed).. i generally do before bed, since i have dinner not long after working out in the evening. the human body tends to metabolize ("eats") muscle more readily than fat during periods of idle activity, especially when you are sleeping (an 8 hour fast). having a shake prior to sleeping staves this off, and feeds your muscles when they are primed for it.

Black
    99 Z28

oh geez.... finally a thread that the EliminatorZ28/Elvis guy can contribute to... and he's banned.
    Last edited by DrMilhouse; 04-14-2011 at 08:04 PM.

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

like others have stated you won't build muscle working out every day unless all you're doing is working out, eating, and sleeping. 3-4 times a week is plenty. I made that mistake when I started a couple years ago, too much working out got me nowhere. It's also important how you work out as well. If you're looking to gain mass/strength you need to constantly push the maximum amount of weight you can do on whatever exercises you do every week, and then rest that muscle for the rest of the week. ONce you get to the strength level you want and just want to maintain the muscle you have you don't have to do more weight every week.

If you're looking for that "beach look/ripped look" you need to constantly push youself in the amounts of reps that you do, once you can do an excess of 20-25 reps on something go up in weight. Then on the weekends when you're resting always make sure you do cardio, this is important, otherwise you'll have a hard time gaining defintion.

I've kept to this mentality for a couple years now and it's worked well for me, I sit at a constant weight of 180-185 with under 8% BF.

edit: only supplements I use are whey(once a day) and fish oil
    Last edited by LeadFarmer; 04-14-2011 at 08:09 PM.

Sunset metallic orange
    '01 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post

OP, if your looking to gain it's all about eating.... Fact thats it!!! But it has to be done right. First try to start incorporating 5-6 meals a day that equal out to 3500-4k calories (good calories too). Your best bet is to go Paleo/Primal its the healthiest way of eating and lifestyle. Look it up in short it's eatin nothing but meats/produce/ & nuts.

And just my .02$. forget about all that supplement shit!!! Honestly..... first you won't get anything out of it, if you don't eat clean for the first month anyway. Second if your looking to gain size make homemade shakes for instance you could try my personalized recipe takes about 5mins. to make too. I know I'm not the only one who has conjured something like this up, but heres mine;

Shake 1
    •some chopped ice if you like it more slushy
    •1 large banana or 2 small ones
    •1/2 cup of straight oats (not that package shit)
    •3/4 cup of eggwhites liquid
    (its appox. bout 4 eggs)
    •I like chocolate so I like to use 2 Tbsp exact, of Ovaltine= vitamins (-:
    •2 Tbsp of "natural" PB (or that expensive ass power butter)
    •6-8oz of silk milk or milk (but in the Paleo/Primal lifestyle stay away from dairy&grains)

& there ya have it "56gms" of homemade protein w/o the 56 dollars of synthetic powder. like I said that's just me. don't get me wrong it " will " deffinately help with more protein intake if you use it with this shake but just "a" scoop instead of using the Ovaltine.

also try this (I like to add oats to this as well)

Shake2;
    •2 small bananas
    •6-8oz of OJ
    •3/4 cup of eggwhites liquids
    • your choice if you wanna add oats 1/2cup
    this is only roughly 38gms w/o the oats with it's roughly 47gms

and one more thing for your vitamins look into getting;
    • multi vit.
    • fish oils
    • garlic pills
    • vit. C 1000mg (twice) bc when you train tour immune system goes down
    • vit D will just help with more growth

I hope my post has been of some useful information to you.

Strength & Honor brother!!!
    The sound of your piss hitting the urinal.......yea it sounds feminine!

Blue GMC Canyon
    trans ams gone now

I've been on P90X for a month now and it's been an excellent program for me. A lot of resistance training and cardio. Keep up with a clean diet, keep proteien around 1 to 1.5 g per lb of body weight and also keep carbs around the same ratio of your wanting size. They help with energy and fill muscles with more glycogen since glyco is stored inside muscles. Drink water too. Water will help fill up the glyco in the muscles. If you start putting on body fat then just back off the carbs for a little bit. As stated above get your calories up also. Just stay focused and disciplined and you'll start putting muscle on quickly. Good luck bro

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
    as long as you continue lifting you wont lose muscle after quitting a supplement. muscle is muscle but you may lose a little water.
    well said.

the best way to avoid water retention is to keep yourself hydrated btw

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post
    Don't use the whey as a main protein source get that from food. Whey is absorbed really quick so it's good as a pre or post workout protein...or as a filler between meals. When lifting the recommended intake is 1 to 1.5g protein per lb of body weight spread throughout the day...don't down 200g's in a sitting or you'll just shit it out. Also make sure you eat enough carbs to maintain energy and to keep your body from using protein as an energy source.

IMO your workout schedule needs to suit your personal needs so everyones is different. Someone that sits behind a desk all day and someone that tosses cinder blocks are going to have different workout needs.

Stanger knows a lot about supplements and working out i'm sure he'll post soon.
    You basically covered protein very well and basic for him.

I think the OP misinterprets what a protein shake actually does. People drink whey because its loaded with BCAAs and your body absorbs it really quickly. However, its only a supplement to your daily protein intake. You need to get about 1 gram per pound of bodyweight a day if you wanna put on size.

Your trainer didnt give you bad advice was just to vague about it. I would do no more then 2 shakes a day and get the rest from food. Why do I say 2 shakes a day? Because anymore then that and it gets expensive

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

You should try to get all your protein and other things from food. Your body will only process so much protein depending on your bodyweight in a 4-6 hour period. So if you eat a meal with 20-30g's of it then drink a shake within 4 hours of that meal you will just shit it out. Space out your intake in around 4 hour intervals.
    Last edited by Packy; 04-15-2011 at 04:49 AM.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Creatine is my favorite supplement I've ever used. You just got understand it, and how it works. People seem to think that its sole function is this massive shuttling of water into your cells. Yes it does hydrate cells, and you want that, it expands the cells and makes them more responsive to nutrients which aid in hypertrophy. It will also help you with that full look. However you dont arbitrarily lose muscle while off it, the gains you make arent "fake". The main function of creatine is the generation of ATP. Creatine phosphate generates ATP which is where explosive feats of strength with fast twitch muscle fibers comes from. Sprinting, lifting, throwing, punching, fucking, anything like that utilizes the krebs cycle. In addition to energy and muscle gains, scientists are also finding its good for brain function and is an antioxidant.

I'll never stop using creatine.

ALso you dont need to "cycle" it, you dont need to "load" it. THats all bs that people made up. 5 grams a day and you are good to go. I've been using it for over 10 yrs. No problems, perfect blood work, very low cholelsterol.

Impounded

silver
    02 modified z28

Creatine is naturally produced in your body. You do not have to take creatine as a supplement to help produce muscles. Creatine is in everything such as fish, meat and poultry.

I had a problem passing a physical for a job I wanted due to high creatine levels and I never took the supplement creatine. To pass the physical I had to stop training and eating what I mentioned above for a week so my creatine level to be lowered.
    Creatine is produced in every physical movement you make.

I have been training for about 24 years and I have what I have today. I started out at 165 when I was a kid using every muscle building protein in the world. Waste of money as I figured out thousand of dollars later. As a result of the first ten years or so my muscle mass gain was minimum from so called protein builders/food. The following ten years or so I did the four meals a day with better results. My muscle mass results from food was better than protein supplements. You want huge muscles...steroids is the medicine for that. Not big meals. A division of the three meals.

As a result I weigh 214 benching 225 two sets of 23 reps and four sets of 12-15 reps of behind the neck pull ups for chest and back. Arms I do a combo of things but never go over 9 sets. Dips for triceps 4 sets of 25 reps. I'm 42 yoa now. I Train to maintain now. I do legs also. But not a fan of leg exercises. I train to maintain now. If you want big arms....twice a week. Weekends are rest days.
    When I was younger I did the 2 hrs in the gym. Yuk, what a waste of time for me. Genetics plays a part in it also.

In my opinion supplements are a joke. Eat the right foods and you will get what you want. Set a goal on what you want to look like and go from there.
    Last edited by odinsonthor; 04-15-2011 at 05:50 AM.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by odinsonthor View Post
    Creatine is naturally produced in your body. You do not have to take creatine as a supplement to help produce muscles. Creatine is in everything such as fish, meat and poultry.

I had a problem passing a physical for a job I wanted due to high creatine levels and I never took the supplement creatine. To pass the physical I had to stop training and eating what I mentioned above for a week so my creatine level to be lowered.
    Creatine is produced in every physical movement you make.

I have been training for about 24 years and I have what I have today. I started out at 165 when I was a kid using every muscle building protein in the world. Waste of money as I figured out thousand of dollars later. As a result of the first ten years or so my muscle mass gain was minimum from so called protein builders/food. The following ten years or so I did the four meals a day with better results. My muscle mass results from food was better than protein supplements. You want huge muscles...steroids is the medicine for that. Not big meals. A division of the three meals.

As a result I weigh 214 benching 225 two sets of 23 reps and four sets of 12-15 reps of behind the neck pull ups for chest and back. Arms I do a combo of things but never go over 9 sets. Dips for triceps 4 sets of 25 reps. I'm 42 yoa now. I Train to maintain now. I do legs also. But not a fan of leg exercises. I train to maintain now. If you want big arms....twice a week. Weekends are rest days.
    When I was younger I did the 2 hrs in the gym. Yuk, what a waste of time for me. Genetics plays a part in it also.

In my opinion supplements are a joke. Eat the right foods and you will get what you want. Set a goal on what you want to look like and go from there.
    If you are happy with where you are at, thats fine. But theres much flaw in this post.

THeres no mention of caloric intake when you say you were using protein shakes a long time ago. So by those standards if you were in calorie deficit, of course you didnt grow. You aren't gonna just drink a shake and get huge, and everybody should know that. You drink shakes to SUPPLEMENT your protein requirements throughout the day.

You are never gonna build mass unless you hit all the macronutrients your body requires to feed the muscles from the training you do.

While your body does produce small amounts of creatine a day, and there is creatine in food, you have to eat about 5 lbs of steak per day to net 5 grams of creatine per day. 5gs is the amount that most people observe size and strength improvement.

Big arms dont happen so much on a result of any one kind of training so much as caloric intake and weight gain. Hence why you are much likely to see 19-21 inch arms on a guy that weighs 230 as opposed to 180. Even then arms is more genetics then it is anything else.

To sum it up, in order to get big you need to find out what your calories should be for the day, and eat them accordingly. Then lift heavy. Then rest. Supplements will help you in your journey if you choose to use them.

Yes, nothing works like steroids. Steroids combined with diet nets best results.

Ray Charles blue

Quote Originally Posted by 1MileCrash View Post
    i've started working out a little bit again over the last couple months. i'm not taking any whey protein or anything like that. just running for 30 minutes and then lifting weights for 30 min about 3 times a week as my schedule allows me to.

i haven't lost any weight but i wasn't really going for that. i feel healthier cardio wise and i can feel that i am toning what muscle i had and building a bit as well.
    Body composition. You might get slightly smaller and actually be heavier. Fat is not as heavy as muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by DrMilhouse View Post
    oh geez.... finally a thread that the EliminatorZ28/Elvis guy can contribute to... and he's banned.
    He would just say use some steroids. hahah

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    If you are happy with where you are at, thats fine. But theres much flaw in this post.

THeres no mention of caloric intake when you say you were using protein shakes a long time ago. So by those standards if you were in calorie deficit, of course you didnt grow. You aren't gonna just drink a shake and get huge, and everybody should know that. You drink shakes to SUPPLEMENT your protein requirements throughout the day.

You are never gonna build mass unless you hit all the macronutrients your body requires to feed the muscles from the training you do.

While your body does produce small amounts of creatine a day, and there is creatine in food, you have to eat about 5 lbs of steak per day to net 5 grams of creatine per day. 5gs is the amount that most people observe size and strength improvement.

Big arms dont happen so much on a result of any one kind of training so much as caloric intake and weight gain. Hence why you are much likely to see 19-21 inch arms on a guy that weighs 230 as opposed to 180. Even then arms is more genetics then it is anything else.

To sum it up, in order to get big you need to find out what your calories should be for the day, and eat them accordingly. Then lift heavy. Then rest. Supplements will help you in your journey if you choose to use them.

Yes, nothing works like steroids. Steroids combined with diet nets best results.
    Good post. Each persons body is different and will react differently to what you put in it. Some stuff works better for me than my buddy and reverse.

I didnt get shit out of creatine but my friend does. Also, my body responded well to a few other supplaments where as his didnt.

I am 6'1" and about 210 on the average and if I work out a lot I will lose some lbs and then pack them on. It all depends on the type of work out you do. I am thinking of trying to cut to 190 but my natural body weight is where I am at now so it is a big struggle to get under 200 lbs. I can do it and have done it but I lose so much power its unreal. I may look good and look ripped but I feel weak and cant put up near what I could before.....although I can run further I just dont have the power.

I need to do a couple week detox on mybody which will get me down in the low 190s.

Impounded

silver
    02 modified z28

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post

You again have misread what I wrote. My statement was,"[B] I have been training for about 24 years and I have what I have today. I started out at 165 when I was a kid using every muscle building protein in the world. Waste of money as I figured out thousand of dollars later. As a result of the first ten years or so my muscle mass gain was minimum from so called protein builders/food.
    Last edited by odinsonthor; 04-15-2011 at 12:49 PM.

Ray Charles blue

One thing. Take a look at all these post work out mixes and then compare the ingredients to chocolate milk.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information