Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dishwashers

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Dishwashers

My wife and I have a "difference of opinion" on what makes dishes clean.

Wife says that the dishes need to be "sanitized" after each use and that only a dishwasher can get the water hot enough to get them properly cleaned. I say it wastes water and electricity.

I come from a law enforcement background and have studied forensic science. I know how delicate evidence is, and also just how easily microbes and other tiny remnants are not only left behind by everything, but also easily wiped/washed away.

I say, even if you "sanitize," there are still dust mites and bacteria in the air and all over the place that will get on the dishes after they come out of the dishwasher. But as long as there is no food source for the germs, they cannot multiply and colonize. She doesn't believe me.

How does everyone else's dishes get done?

(Ours go in the dishwasher anyway, since that is her "domain").

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

We had a dishwasher. Until she called me one day and said she doesn't believe the dishwasher cleans them as good as a hand scrubbing. I told her I hate dishes more than any other household chore and that is why we have a dishwasher. By the time I got home she had sold the dish washer and added one of our extra cabinets we had in its place. I was pretty pissed. So I have been on a boycott of dishes ever since. Which sometimes makes her pissed. But now that she is laid off it isn't an issue. I just put them away now. She does use extremely hot water.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 02-05-2015 at 06:25 AM.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

I scrub plates before I put them in the dishwasher because I dont like food being flung around everywhere inside of it...I know some people will take a plate that had all kinds of junk on it and just toss it in the dishwasher...that drives me insane.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Dishwasher? What's that? Lol. I hate doing dishes, but have no place for one in my kitchen so I've washed them all by hand going on 15 years now.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post
    I scrub plates before I put them in the dishwasher because I dont like food being flung around everywhere inside of it...I know some people will take a plate that had all kinds of junk on it and just toss it in the dishwasher...that drives me insane.
    ^This! Pre-cleaning the dishes prior to having them washed in the dish washer also prolongs the life of the machine and it won't smell of decaying food...
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    ^This! Pre-cleaning the dishes prior to having them washed in the dish washer also prolongs the life of the machine and it won't smell of decaying food...
    my mother in law doesnt pre clean anything and then they complain that the cups that sit above the plates always have sh*t in them when they take them out...she blames it on the dishwasher.......common sense says that if you pressure wash something dirty and the jet is pointed UP that means the shit it blows off the plate is also going to go UP and it is going to get lodged in the stuff that is above it.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

My first job was as a dishwasher in a Country Club that could hold 3000 ppl if all of the banquet halls were full and another 200 if the bar and restaurant were full as well. We pre-cleaned everything with hot water and then ran through an industrial washer. Food burns, get's sticky, even grease/oil will stay on dishes. When I do dishes I always do first the drinking cups, silverware, then plates and lastly the cooking pans that are greasy that way the grease/oil doesn't transfer to the other dishes. Always with hot water.

Like Pat & Jim said, prolongs the life of the dishwasher and keeps the smells from building up.

I also have an old model of dishwashers in addition to the machine. It's called kids. They thoroughly enjoy doing them....(sarc)

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    My wife and I have a "difference of opinion" on what makes dishes clean.

Wife says that the dishes need to be "sanitized" after each use and that only a dishwasher can get the water hot enough to get them properly cleaned. I say it wastes water and electricity.

I come from a law enforcement background and have studied forensic science. I know how delicate evidence is, and also just how easily microbes and other tiny remnants are not only left behind by everything, but also easily wiped/washed away.

I say, even if you "sanitize," there are still dust mites and bacteria in the air and all over the place that will get on the dishes after they come out of the dishwasher. But as long as there is no food source for the germs, they cannot multiply and colonize. She doesn't believe me.

How does everyone else's dishes get done?

(Ours go in the dishwasher anyway, since that is her "domain").
    Growing up, my Dad was of the same opinion, and don't forget gas, too I was chief dishwasher in my house growing up and I hated that I wasn't allowed to use the dishwasher. But, it's kind of stuck with me. Even after I moved out and had my own dishwasher, I still filled up the sink with soapy water I never use the dishwasher. Sometimes if we have company I'll opt to throw dishes in there, or around the holidays I'll use it as a drying rack when doing a ton of cooking throughout the day. I do run it a couple of times a year though.

So count me in as one that thinks that the dishwasher is the most unnecessary appliance in my kitchen. I do think it's important to use clean new sponges often though. I rotate them from the kitchen sink to the bathrooms or under the kitchen sink regularly. My kitchen sink sponge is to be used only on the dishes and kitchen counters.
    Last edited by KahanaReef; 02-05-2015 at 10:06 AM.

Arctic White, red/gray

Well then count me as one of the ones who considers a dishwasher to be one of the more necessary appliances in my kitchen. Except now I don't have one in my kitchen. That is the worst chore ever. It might not be as bad if the kitchen sink was 12 inches higher. It sucks to be tall and hunched over scrubbing.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I hate doing dishes and laundry. Always have. My two least desirable chores for sure

Arctic White, red/gray

Laundry isn't so bad, but definately not great either. It just takes forever to fold it all. But at least I can hang out in the living room with the kids or whatever while I do it.

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Laundry isn't so bad, but definately not great either. It just takes forever to fold it all. But at least I can hang out in the living room with the kids or whatever while I do it.
    I dont let anybody else wash my clothes lol been burned enough times to not let people mess with my clothes...

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post
    I dont let anybody else wash my clothes lol been burned enough times to not let people mess with my clothes...
    When I say laundry isn't so bad... what I really meant is I haven't washed any clothes in the past 5 years other than my hunting clothes.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

we take turns (me & wife), the kids are responsible for their own with exception to my daughter, she's learning how to now so there is still some parental overseeing on how she does them. I don't need a laundry room full of soap bubbles, etc.....

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    we take turns (me & wife), the kids are responsible for their own with exception to my daughter, she's learning how to now so there is still some parental overseeing on how she does them. I don't need a laundry room full of soap bubbles, etc.....
    I started doing mine in 5th grade and its been that way since then. Let my wife wash my clothes one time and that'll never happen again...love her to death but holy f*ck she cant wash clothes...

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

My earliest memory of having to do my own laundry is about 12 yrs old.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    My earliest memory of having to do my own laundry is about 12 yrs old.
    Not gonna lie I never really did laundry until I was 18 and moved out. There is nothing like the way mom did laundry.

Now my wife on the other hand had parents who decided to get addicted to drug when she was 7-8. She learned to cook, do laundry etc real fast. They both went to jail when she was 10 or 11. She is very good at taking care of anything houshold related.

Black / White

Not gonna lie I never really did laundry until I was 18 and moved out. There is nothing like the way mom did laundry.

Now my wife on the other hand had parents who decided to get addicted to drug when she was 7-8. She learned to cook, do laundry etc real fast. They both went to jail when she was 10 or 11. She is very good at taking care of anything houshold related.
    thats a raw deal on her end...I know some friends who went through some similar situations.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

That is extremely unfortunate. She sounds like a strong well rounded person in spite of it though.

When my son's activities started to get pretty expensive, mainly BMX and his constant want for new parts, etc... I added laundry to his chore list. He got paid a certain amount each week by way of doing chores on a list with varying payouts. If he wanted extra cash, he had to earn it. He started doing his own laundry around age 13 I think it was.

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    That is extremely unfortunate. She sounds like a strong well rounded person in spite of it though.

When my son's activities started to get pretty expensive, mainly BMX and his constant want for new parts, etc... I added laundry to his chore list. He got paid a certain amount each week by way of doing chores on a list with varying payouts. If he wanted extra cash, he had to earn it. He started doing his own laundry around age 13 I think it was.
    I never got an allowance lol what I did around the house was just expected with that said, I started working when I was 13. Got paid under the table until I was "legally allowed" to work.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information