Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Silver
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Digital Camera??

Looking for digital camera for my wife. She wants something simple she can fit in her purse. Im looking to spend around $150. Ive looked at Nikon and Cannon. Do you guys have any suggestions.

Black
    1995 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by Krazydan View Post
    Looking for digital camera for my wife. She wants something simple she can fit in her purse. Im looking to spend around $150. Ive looked at Nikon and Cannon. Do you guys have any suggestions.
    I got this at the Black Friday sale http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10727357 for $70 (plus $10 for the case & 1GB sd card) its now $100. I like it over my old camera, 10.2 mp and what I like is it has built in basic photoshop mode. You can select to take pictures in b/w, sephia, different shades of green/red/blue/ and even negative, and you can do the same for video mode! Its pretty simple point and shoot, although I need to to figure out how to take pictures in low light settings as it can become blurry but other than that I give it a 4/5. I also don't like its red...but for the price *shrug*. Haven't really compared other models but I like it for the features and price.

Silver

That looks pretty good. She wants a pink camera but red is close enough.

what about Kodak easy share?

I just got a Nikon Powershot S550. Got it at Circuit City, it was $199.99 then day after I bought it, Best Buy had it for $174.99 so got the price match + I had a spend $150 save $15 from Circuit, so used that, ended up getting it for $160 + tax. It seems to be pretty nice, 10 MP & 5X zoom I wanted the bigger zoom, but there was only like 3 to choose from w/ the 10 MP!
    2008 Lincoln MKZ - AWD
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT - Wifes car
    2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP - Sold
    2004 Pontiac GTO M6 - Sold

Silver

I have a canon rebel already now my wife wants a small camera so she can easily carry it in her purse.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I have a canon powershot a590is I bought this spring. Has a real knack for taking blurry shots and I personally think the zoom pictures suck on it. I would stay away from it if I had it to all do again.

None

I have had two different Fuji cameras... both were great!

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Krazydan View Post
    That looks pretty good. She wants a pink camera but red is close enough.

what about Kodak easy share?

This is a pretty good little camera. I keep one in my purse

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665339426

Nuclear Cat Will End All LS1Powerhouse's Avatar
    Edwardsville, IL (So. IL Univ. of Edwardsville)

Mystic Teal
    1999 Camaro Z28 - A4

Canon Powershot SD750 is what I have at the moment.. Great camera.. Easy to use.. Giant screen.. Rechargeable battery so you don't have to deal with the AA's.

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-came...?tag=mncol;lst

Did I mention I found it on the ground?
    Last edited by LS1Powerhouse; 12-07-2008 at 06:51 PM.

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

Above all else in cameras, look for something with good battery life.

My favorite feature about my moms $1000+ Digital SLR camera? That fucking battery will take 1000 pictures between recharges. Epic.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by B34M3R View Post
    Above all else in cameras, look for something with good battery life.

My favorite feature about my moms $1000+ Digital SLR camera? That fucking battery will take 1000 pictures between recharges. Epic.
    An SLR won't fit well in a purse though. I have to say that that little Sony I posted... It's battery last a very long time. And, it's nice and small. I also have a Sony F717 that I use and really need to upgrade to SLR now. But, the little Sony is my purse camera

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    An SLR won't fit well in a purse though. I have to say that that little Sony I posted... It's battery last a very long time. And, it's nice and small. I also have a Sony F717 that I use and really need to upgrade to SLR now. But, the little Sony is my purse camera
    Oh I know, you just can't beat having a camera on you at all times... luckily the camera on my phone is fucking kickass so I don't need one.

I was totally amazed by the battery life on that big sucker though.. its a Cannon 40D, and I honestly expected the shit load of electronic "stuff"(thats the scientific term... I looked it up) to suck the battery dry quickly... I've actually never had it die out on me... took over 1000 pictures in one week, and it still was going strong. You get what you pay for I suppose.

Oh, and if you are looking into an SLR... look at the Cannon EOS 40D... its just OUTSTANDING. If you can afford the price tag, it is worth every penny. I can pull fucking amazing shots out of crap lighting conditions(if you get an SLR, learn to adjust your shutter and ISO manually... you might find that you never need a flash again... well, for the most part). Oh, and make sure you get a nice anti-vibration lens too... 28-135mm is a great general purpose zoom...

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by B34M3R View Post
    Oh I know, you just can't beat having a camera on you at all times... luckily the camera on my phone is fucking kickass so I don't need one.

I was totally amazed by the battery life on that big sucker though.. its a Cannon 40D, and I honestly expected the shit load of electronic "stuff"(thats the scientific term... I looked it up) to suck the battery dry quickly... I've actually never had it die out on me... took over 1000 pictures in one week, and it still was going strong. You get what you pay for I suppose.

Oh, and if you are looking into an SLR... look at the Cannon EOS 40D... its just OUTSTANDING. If you can afford the price tag, it is worth every penny. I can pull fucking amazing shots out of crap lighting conditions(if you get an SLR, learn to adjust your shutter and ISO manually... you might find that you never need a flash again... well, for the most part). Oh, and make sure you get a nice anti-vibration lens too... 28-135mm is a great general purpose zoom...
    Thanks

I've just started looking at a few. But, yeah... they can get a bit pricey. I'll look into that one too though. I've been really happy with my Sony's over the years. I'll most likely get a lower priced one to start with though. I spent a ton on my other camera and all the lenses and other accessories. I really almost hate to upgrade. But, I suppose it's that time again

It's amazing how some of these batteries hold out anymore!

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Hmm, I just found one for $650. That's very doable. I'll put that one on my list to check out

http://www.fotoconnection.com/p71695...mera-body.html

1997 Grand Cherokee
    1999 Firebird.

You know that's just for the body right? If I were you, I'd get the 40D body and then buy a better lens than the 28-135mm that comes in the 40D kit (something like the 18-200mm). The 40D is GREAT but you may want to consider the XSi as well The same money or less than the 40D body for the XSi kit (18-55mm lens). The 40D has 10mp and the XSi has 12.2mp. I was thinking about upgrading my XSi to a 40D but evidently the camera I have has slightly better image quality. Here's a link to that thread:
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=607553
    Canon is THE way to go no matter what you get!! Of course you could always get a
    50D MKII!
    Check out these forums for ALOT of great info/advise on Canon cameras:
    (Be sure to check the buy/sell sections!! Good deals are easily found.)
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/
    Almost forgot.....most people seem to looooove B&H Photography for some reason. They have a really really good online reputation. Also, they sell lightly used equipment at great prices! Here's a link:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/catego...cessories.html
    Last edited by nitrox28; 12-07-2008 at 09:40 PM.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Thanks for the info. I'll be doing some comparisons to see what will fit my needs best. I'm in no hurry and want to make sure to learn a bit more about them.

Thanks for the links. That will be helpful

1997 Grand Cherokee
    1999 Firebird.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have bought the 40D over the XSi just for the frame rate and the ergonomics. The ISO is alot better on the 40D as well. I researched the shit out of this before I bought my XSi, but at the time time the 40D kit was $1500! (my xsi kit was $999) They have both come waaay down. GET AN SLR!!!!!!! You will not regret it! Granted, they are alot of money, but soooooo worth it!

Blue
    72 Chevelle, 2001 SS

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q408slimgroup/

Awesome site with great reviews. I'm a fan of panasonic due to the Leica lens'

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Yeah, I definitely do all the reviews before a big purchase. I like Cnet. I'll check the other link too. Thanks.

Shoot, when I bought my Sony F717 it was top of the line and the camera alone was almost $600. LOL, one of the best at the time. Now you can pick them up for chump change! It was a very good camera over the last 5 or more years. But, it's time for an upgrade.

I will look into all suggested for sure. I want it to last at least another 5 years

Silver

I have a Canon EOS 350D. I love that camera. Takes some badass pictures. I think Im gonna go with Nikon S210 http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=8828589

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information