Thread: diesel trucks

diesel trucks

im was looking into some diesel trucks, mainly f250 turbo diesel, and i noticed pretty much the ones that i find that would be in my price range have over 150k miles on em. i heard that a diesel can go forever though so what is considered high mileage for them?

Quote Originally Posted by skywalkrNCSU
    im was looking into some diesel trucks, mainly f250 turbo diesel, and i noticed pretty much the ones that i find that would be in my price range have over 150k miles on em. i heard that a diesel can go forever though so what is considered high mileage for them?
    250-300K is what most would look for a diesel to go easy

but when one does break it cost an ASSLOAD to fix

i would look to get one in the 75-80K range.......lotta life left in it

i agree. ive seen more than a few farmers here in SC with well over 400K miles on their powerstrokes with no major problems.

Arctic White
    2000 TransAm

I would NOT buy a Ford! I have numerous friends that made that mistake. I could tell you plenty of stories about the troubles they've had, and how Ford doesn't back up thier product. Bottom line, I'd buy a Cummins.

thats a never ending battle and im sure the Ford guys will say stay away from the Cummins.

Arctic White
    2000 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by whitelightnin99
    thats a never ending battle and im sure the Ford guys will say stay away from the Cummins.
    I work with hundreds of construction workers and most of them buy trucks. I see on a daily basis what happens to these trucks, and let me tell you, the Fords have 10X more troubles than the Dodges or GM's, but the worst part is the poor service they get from Ford when they take it in for work. I'll say it again DON'T BUY A FORD!

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

ford =

Quote Originally Posted by TMF
    I work with hundreds of construction workers and most of them buy trucks. I see on a daily basis what happens to these trucks, and let me tell you, the Fords have 10X more troubles than the Dodges or GM's, but the worst part is the poor service they get from Ford when they take it in for work. I'll say it again DON'T BUY A FORD!

I worked for a construction company in high school and during summers in college. I had the exact opposite experience. No problems with the fords....constant tranny problems in the dodges. Both engines are pretty good. Neither transmission is great. How long the truck will last depends on how bad it has been beat on.

08 HD FXSTB
    2010 F350

in 03 ford started using the 6.0. There have been large amounts of buybacks and warranty work on the 03 and 04s, the newer models are better but are still having some problems. The Cummins in the dodge will last a lot longer but the ford is a nicer truck in my opinion. I would buy either a dodge or a chevy over the 6.0

Black SVT & Silver WS6
    2003 SVT Cobra & 2002 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by TMF
    I would NOT buy a Ford! I have numerous friends that made that mistake. I could tell you plenty of stories about the troubles they've had, and how Ford doesn't back up thier product.

I agree. I have many friends in the exact same situation (one only had his King Ranch for only a week and it was already in the shop, he sold it after only owning it for a month). I’d go for a 2500 6.6 Duramax (or 3500 depending on the purpose). My old man has one that he uses to pull tractors, hay trailers, and cattle trailers. It’s great no problems what so ever. Put a hypertech programmer on there and a few other things, you can pull shit all day and never know it’s behind you.
    No replacement for displacement.

Click for full size

white
    2001 camaross

Quote Originally Posted by Corona-Extra
    I agree. I have many friends in the exact same situation (one only had his King Ranch for only a week and it was already in the shop, he sold it after only owning it for a month). I’d go for a 2500 6.6 Duramax (or 3500 depending on the purpose). My old man has one that he uses to pull tractors, hay trailers, and cattle trailers. It’s great no problems what so ever. Put a hypertech programmer on there and a few other things, you can pull shit all day and never know it’s behind you.
    I agree with him,
    my dads got one also and ill prolly get one in a few years its a great truck with tons of power and a strong allison transmission.

if you get a dodge get a standard...it is a diesel truck so who cares if you need to shift you are not going anywhere quick anyway

Quote Originally Posted by mdh100
    I worked for a construction company in high school and during summers in college. I had the exact opposite experience. No problems with the fords....constant tranny problems in the dodges. Both engines are pretty good. Neither transmission is great. How long the truck will last depends on how bad it has been beat on.

see what i mean. everybody has diff. opinions but i personally have a 2005 F250 6.0 4x4 with banks monster exhaust, superchips programmer, airaid intake and hasnt given any problems at all. it pulls anything like a champ and even on 37" tires it rides and drives great. everybody has a diff. opinion but all of my buddies have Cummins and they are great trucks as well.

Here's a link to a pic of mine:
    http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/gallery_ford.htm

Its on the third row from the top on the right
    Last edited by whitelightnin99; 03-23-2006 at 06:50 AM.

White
    1997 Mustang GT

The 6.0L has lots of problems; buy a 7.3L and you'll be good to go.

2007 GMC Sierra Duramax

My best friend owns and industrial hauling service, and he has about a dozen Power Strokes at any given time..

Some of them are good and some are bad. Usually they get the bugs worked out by 10k miles, and then they run forever.

He does have a lot of drivetrain problems, but he hauls extremely heavy loads on a daily basis. Once out of warranty, they are extremely expensive to fix.

It's his opinion that the Dodge is more reliable, but they don't have enough balls to pull the stuff he's pulling. And spare me the factory rating shit. These trucks are not hauling bass boats, hay and horse trailers. He's hauling 20k lbs or more on these trucks all the time, and the one Dodge he bought a few years ago couldn't keep up. He also hires contract drivers who own Dodges, and they have trouble too.

He doesn't want to spend the money on the GM diesels. He did have a 454 dually once that would pull anything, but it needed it's own fuel tanker once you strapped a load on it.. He had a Ford V10 once, and it was a colassal pile of shit.

2007 GMC Sierra Duramax

Also I am in the oilfield industry, and nobody uses Dodges, because the trucks themselves are pieces of shit and fall apart.

Most run Fords, followed by Chevys. Bascially whatever they can get a deal on.

38TopGun
    Plain and simple....the 7.3PSD is bulletproof. The 6.0PSD is a walk away from truck...the Cummins is a great motor HOWEVER the Dodge trannys stink.

07 CBR1000RR

Hey now I drive a Ford 6.0L PSD and I have 21,000mi and no problems. One guy I met when I was getting fuel and he has 350,000mi on a 03 Ford 6.0L PSD same injectors,tranny,turbo . Yes I agree the 7.3L PSD is a good motor but they have had a there share of problems(check out dieselstop.com if you dont believe me) same with Chevy and even heard some Dodge guys too. If you want to Mod your diesel like turbo,injectors,water/meth than don't do it to a 6.0L without headstuds. BTW I have heard rumors on some diesel sites a guy has a 03 Ford 6.0L PSD with 450,000mi now thats a a$$ load of Mi.

07 CBR1000RR

Double post

07 CBR1000RR

Quote Originally Posted by mdh100

Thread Information