Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

decisions to make for my future in the navy

So guys i have been in the navy for over 6 years now. I am going on shore duty in february. By the time my tour is up there i will be in for 10 years and i can get out or stay in. I am going to finish my degree while on shore duty, but i have seriously been considering going for the 20 years. Retiring at 38 sounds awesome. Now here is where the decision comes in.

I love what a chief is and represents. When i think of all the services nothing is more bad ass than a chief in the enlisted ranks. I know i would make an awesome chief, hell i know i am a good leader and i am very good at what i do. Do i shoot to be a chief and retire.

Or i also considered putting in my officer package for STA-21 which the navy pays me for 3 years to go to school and complete my degree. It would be super easy since i have alot of schooling done and i won't be having an overloaded schedule. I get more if i retire as an officer. Plus i get my degree an easier way instead of having to work and go to night school. Hell it would be easy and i could start working torwards my masters as an officer and possible throw in my JAG package, retire as an officer and practice law when i get out.

I am leaning torwards an officer more but i have more respect for the chief and a love for the rank. When in doubt ask the chief, so it is a tough one for me.

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

First off... you've already been in 10 and you are still remotely considering going for the 20? Hell yes, do it. Best financial decision you could make for yourself.

Second... well... once again financially... becoming an officer is a much better idea... now and after you retire. I'd go for it.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

um officer route plus JAG on top of that (ie fast promotion) you'll be making serious money plus having a lot of education under your belt, go that route

Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

word

Having been that guy that had an opportunity to go to officer candidate school and warrant officer candidate school and I turned it down. I will say that I regret not doing one of the two. I have been in 21 years now and while I loved being an NCO I really wish I would of gone to at least warrant officer school. The choice is yours really and I will say that I'm happy with what I accomplished but I wonder what I could of done if I had taken that opportunity.

The Herpes of LS1.com Modulistic's Avatar

gray
    07 duramax

navy. psh.

coast guard is where its at

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

Quote Originally Posted by Modulistic View Post
    navy. psh.

coast guard is where its at

Old: 00 WS6, 02 Z06, 79TA
    11 F350 CC 6.7L

become an officer. Almost everyone you ask what they would like to have done differently will tell you they wish they had finished there degree and became an officer.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

stay the 20... right now with our current economy getting a job will be difficult... i don't see the economy making a miraculous turn around in 10 years to be booming with jobs and shit like that...

1958 chevy pickup 283
    02 gmc z71 5.3L white

whats your current rank??

White
    02 WS6

To each his own. I've personally had many people try to get me to go the commissioned side. Personally, I know it's not for me. It doesn't even matter what service you're in, the officer ranks get very political. It's not for me. I have a brain-to-mouth filter problem, and I don't sugar coat things. For me, that's more suited to the SNCO side of things. As an officer, you can't really do that until you're a full bird (captain in the navy).

Of course, money is a big deal, and you can make a lot of it as an officer.

Just weigh your decision carefully, and decide what is best for you.

dale

Well you need to talk to your command career counselor to find out what you qualify for in the STA-21 program. This program is made of many different officer canadate programs with each needing different levels of collage. Some do not require collage. So that is your first step. Also job security is not as good as an officer. They get sucked in by the political game. Best bet is start talking to officers. Be selective on what officers you are talking with. I would spend most time talking with the LCDR's, preferably the departmant heads. I dont know what field you are currently in or what type of command you are stationed with so that is the best general advice I could give you. And most importantly inform your chain of command on your interenst and intensions. They can help you in areas you didnt even think of asking about.
    CHIEF
    99 Z28
    U.S. NAVY
    P-3 ORION
    FLIGHT ENGINEER
    ***IBNFE***
    FLY NAVY

Thread Information