Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

Decisions decisions... oh how i hate em

So i've been on a kick lately over how much I miss my Mark VIII LSC. I can't stop thinking about how much fun that car was. How comfy it was, how fast it was (for a luxury car), how great its factory stereo was, how durable it was.... pretty much everything about that car.

Yes there were jobs that were a serious pain in the ass. But there probably isn't another car in the world that I know more about. Before my Hawk the Mark series was IT for me. I even knew one of the engineers that helped design that car!!!! (he was a member at one of the forums)

Anyway. I'm starting to feel like not having a Mark VIII is like a void in my life. I know it's just a car but like most everyone else around here, cars are what we are passionate about. Now I love my Saturn and the rational part of my mind tells me that dumping a Saturn where parts are cheap and plentiful for a limited production luxury car that's just as old is a HUGE mistake. I love how tossable my little SC2 is and for a 13 year old sub compact it never fails to impress me how well GM built it.

The other side of me sheds a tear whenever I see a mark on the road or think about my old car. That part of me originally planned on having an F-body to augment my Lincoln. Satisfy my hunger for performance while remaining pampered in luxury the rest of the time. That part of me didn't care that the Mark wasn't the prettiest car on the road. I was proud to be seen in that beluga whale and never shy about showing it off.

I've reached a point where I feel I am capable of going either way on this subject. For a cost of roughly 2k I can get myself back into a Mark VIII with less miles than my old one had and roughly the same miles as my Hawk. This is of course dependent on selling my saturn for a fair price. On the one hand I'd be back in a luxo cruiser, i'd fill that void and I'd be able to put this whole thing out of my mind.

On the other hand... I like the fact that BOTH of my cars are stick and having a tiny car in NY is always a plus (a Mark VIII is actually LONGER than a Navigator) and I genuinely like my Saturn. I think i'd be a bit sad to see it go. It goes without saying that I DON'T miss the 60+ dollar fillups that the Lincoln used to put me through when gas peaked LOL

I should really be just hoarding money but the cars are out there. I've been looking and finding quite a few nice deals. It's far too tempting right now with the cash in hand to make this happen.

Below is a pic of what i'm talking about, this is EXACTLY the car I used to own. Mine was lowered (easy to do with air suspension) and had tinted windows. Other than that... This IS the car I once had, options color combo year everything..... what does everyone else think? Am I just being over nostalgic over nothing? Would getting one ruin my memories of ownership? Is it a "you only live once" situation where I'd regret not getting one while they are still serviceable? I hate parting with my money and cars in general(The Saturn) but with this Lincoln I really just don't know.

Last edited by LSCyaL8R; 10-22-2010 at 07:53 PM.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

you never know if you're going to end up with a lemon used. Or new. 2k for a lincoln was including selling the saturn right?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

oh yes the Saturn would have to go. No way I can drive three cars lol. Therein lies one of the biggest parts of the dilema. The Saturn was a one owner garaged 36k mile car when I got it and has treated me well despite being close to 14 years old now. only thing it needs is new coils since i keep getting the cam sensor check engine light. Saturns don't have cam sensors... they time the pulses on the wires to get the signal and when the back of the coils corrode... which they do... you get the light. no biggie. get some accel coils from summit to go with my Magnecor wires and it should be all set for the foreseeable future

slap your mama red
    1998 trans am

i say let it go. it was what it was back when you had it. Stop living in the past and look for a newer car possibaly too take its place. And by new i dont mean new but something that is different and you like. IMO

Liquid Red
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT

As cool as the Mark VIII's are, I would keep the Saturn. I've driven many Mark VIII's and while they are fast for a luxury car and very comfy, the money you may have to put into it, especially the air suspension, may be more than the car is worth.

As fun as the Mark is to drive, I would keep the Saturn. It seems to have proven reliable since you got it, why risk putting money into something that you don't know the history of?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

I'm not worried about the repairs on a Mark. I did the whole air suspension system on my last one. the pump a special release valve the lines and the front struts for something like 600 dollars. I did a fuel pump... heck i even had to do a half shaft on the rear. Of course mine had been to hell and back before i got it and had 126,503 on the clock the day i picked it up.... it had 126,500 when i went to see it... but the owner drove it to the gym that night.... yes i remember all that lolol.

Black
    02 SS #8719

Too bad you're in NY I got a friend with one for sale cheap.
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/2009099977.html

2002 trans am ws6

aren't you worried about driving the Lincoln during winter? I know New York gets quite a bit of snow.

Black
    2001 Firebird TransAm WS6

that thing has an ugly ass

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

Quote Originally Posted by dav-02ws6-m6 View Post
    aren't you worried about driving the Lincoln during winter? I know New York gets quite a bit of snow.
    I drove that mark viii through 2 severe blizzards. both had around 2 feet of snow. NYC is pretty good about clearing the streets and the amount of road traffic we have tends to keep a lot of the roads at least driveable.... also... i live on a hill heh heh.... the car wasn't too bad in the snow

as for the Mark in SF.... i wouldn't touch a 95 with a 10 foot pole, no offense. I liked the 97-98 MUCH better. the 97 redesign had better exhaust, redesigned intake, OBD II, revalved suspension, LED turn signals in the mirrors, Puddle lamps in the mirrors, redesigned interior, HID headlights, that rear lamp is a BIG neon tube. It was MUCH better than the 95.. i should know... i drove one of those too

Epoxy Block atm
    '68 Firebird LS1

heavily modded i could see this car being a lot better looking.. i never liked the lights nor the rear lol. but lowered and all that (and non-stock wheels), i could see its potential. as for the saturn, you know i like that car, and it is a very, very practical little 4 banger to have, especially shuttling around ny.

honestly, this is only a call you can make, go with what your heart desires, and you usually always use your head when it comes to financial and practical decisions, so i know you'll make the best choice for you :)

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

I'm with you,I had a fully loaded 96 mark viii lsc blk on blk with the same chrome wheels as yours!miss mine too,but they are old (last year was 98) and parts are expensive,but if your cool with that they are not very expensive now,friend of mine who is a wholesaler had a low mileage 98 collectoe edition mark viii lsc in pearl white for sale for like 3 grand a few months ago.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Last edited by 02transamce; 10-23-2010 at 04:05 PM.

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Those are the optional factory chrome wheels from Lincoln available from 95-98
    Posted via Mobile Device

2002 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by lawless View Post

honestly, this is only a call you can make, go with what your heart desires, and you usually always use your head when it comes to financial and practical decisions, so i know you'll make the best choice for you
    there is no better feeling of getting something that you really desire.

White
    1999 Transam WS6

Quote Originally Posted by dav-02ws6-m6 View Post
    If I drive my bird on summer tires through NY winter.. Im sure the lincoln could manage

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Trac control and Blizzaks are your friends.

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Man,I love the south! What are blizzaks? Lol
    Posted via Mobile Device

i hate the south

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

my 96 Mark VIII LSC at panama city beach,fl.january 2001

sorry for the poor quality,this picture was originally taken with a cheap disposable camera in 2001,then scanned onto our computer in 2007.
    Last edited by 02transamce; 10-24-2010 at 03:41 PM.

Thread Information