pie
    free

Dean Hancock is a prick

The father of Josh Hancock filed suit Thursday, claiming a restaurant provided drinks to the St. Louis Cardinals relief pitcher even though he was intoxicated prior to the crash that killed him.

The suit, filed in St. Louis Circuit Court by Dean Hancock of Tupelo, Miss., does not specify damages. Mike Shannon's Restaurant, owned by the longtime Cardinals broadcaster who starred on three World Series teams in the 1960s, is a defendant in the case along with Shannon's daughter, Patricia Shannon Van Matre, the restaurant manager.

Other defendants include Eddie's Towing, the company whose flatbed tow truck was struck by Hancock's sport utility vehicle in the early hours of April 29; tow truck driver Jacob Edward Hargrove; and Justin Tolar, the driver whose stalled car on Interstate 64 was being assisted by Hargrove.

The Cardinals and Major League Baseball were not listed as defendants.

Authorities said the 29-year pitcher had a blood content of nearly twice the legal limit for alcohol in his system when he crashed into the back of the tow truck. He was also speeding, using a cell phone and wasn't wearing a seat belt, Police Chief Joe Mokwa said after the accident. Marijuana also was found in the SUV.

Mokwa said Hancock went to Shannon's not long after the Cardinals played a day game against the Chicago Cubs on April 28. The lawsuit claimed that Hancock was a regular at the restaurant bar and was there for more than 31/2 hours.

"It's understood that for the entire 31/2 hours that Josh Hancock was there that he was handed drinks," Keith Kantack, a lawyer for Dean Hancock, said. "It's our understanding that from the moment Josh Hancock entered Mike Shannon's that night that he was never without a drink."

A person answering phones at the restaurant declined comment. A message left with Van Matre was not returned.

The lawsuit claimed Tolar was negligent in allowing his Geo Prism to reach the point where it stalled on the highway, and for failing to move it out of the way of oncoming traffic. A police report said the Prism became stalled when it spun out after being cut off by another vehicle.

Police said Hargrove noticed the stalled vehicle and stopped to help. The report said he told officers he was there five to seven minutes before his truck was hit by Hancock's SUV. But Kantack said the tow truck may have been there up to 15 minutes, yet failed to get the stalled vehicle out of the way.

"Were the police contacted?" Kantack asked. "Why weren't flares put out? Why was the tow truck there for an exorbitant amount of time?"

Tolar did not have a listed telephone number. Calls to the towing company were met with a busy signal.

Kantack said others could be added later as defendants in the suit. He declined to speculate on whether the Cardinals or Major League Baseball could be added to the suit, but said the Hancock family has been "overwhelmed by the support and respect the Cardinals have shown since Josh's passing."

Dean Hancock said in a statement that the "facts and circumstances" of Josh's death "have caused great pain to all of Josh's family." As administrator of his son's estate, Dean Hancock said he has an obligation to represent the family on all issues, "including any legal actions necessary against those who contributed to the untimely and unnecessary death."
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?cnn=yes

I understand grieving for your son, but placing blame on others for his inability to make responsible decisions is ridiculous.

Black
    2004 Z06

Little known fact: Tupelo Mississippi is Elvis' Birthplace.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

thats pathetic...his son was an idiot and now hes trying to get as much out of his death as he can...what low life...suing a guy for haivng his car break down...

Yea I don't think this is right! Mike Shannon's is a great place to hang out & enjoy yourself. We were down there the next weekend & had a great time there, tankin' it up. I don't think he is doing it for the money, but still I think this makes you look like an ass esp when you have the tow truck driver & that driver of the car involved!
    2008 Lincoln MKZ - AWD
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT - Wifes car
    2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP - Sold
    2004 Pontiac GTO M6 - Sold

2nd last of the lt1s EVAR 94z28l's Avatar

purple pearl metalic
    1994 Z28 Camaro

he might not be doin it for the money but it sure looks like he is

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

Quote Originally Posted by eddierox View Post
    Little known fact: Tupelo Mississippi is Elvis' Birthplace.

black
    Twin Turbo C5 Stroker WS6

Blaming other people because your son was a druggie and a drunk asshole...Pitiful

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

this saddens me because dan was so cool afterward during press conferences. so were all the cardinals players.

whats pathetic is the way these people act as though someone was at fault. shit, early on, local news was trying to spin it like the tow truck driver somehow caused the accident! god for bid he was parked with flashing lights doing his job.

mike shannons isnt like a low grade tavern where everyone gets drunk, fights, and drives home. its an upscale establishment and they dont want drunken loudmouths in there. im fairly certain if they knew how drunk hancock was he wouldnt have been able to leave.
    its a sad story but his own fault nonetheless....

oh and the cards....this season....dont watch my team get slaughtered please. i wanna keep last season in mind.

BlackCherry
    Bad Ass 67 Camaro / 2010

I blame the lawyer mroe then the father.
    The father is grieving, and the lawyer is taking advantage of this.

More then likely, the lawyer is looking for settlements vice court, since the bar and towing company have insurance for issues like this.

It sounds like a bunch of crap, but at least I learned where Elvis was born!!

Impounded
    I was subpoena'd by Dean Hancock's lawyer too. Apparantly I threw a cigarette but out the car that was run over by Tolar's car, contributing to it being broken down.

Thread Information