Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2001 WS6

A day in the life of a future Air traveler...

This is what I think flying will be like in the not too distant future.

So today was the first day of vacation. I got to the airport at 5am, because now you have to arrive 5 hours in advance of your flight. I stand in line for an hour at the ticket counter. Finally I get to the ticket counter as they ask for identification. They now require 4 proofs of id. Passport, driver's liscense, fingerprint scan, and a digital scan of the chip you're implanted with at birth. They ask me if I have any baggage, as I have 1 bag to check. It's $100 for the first and only bag, which must be transparent now for security purposes. I head over to the first security checkpoint. After a half an hour of waiting in line, I get to the counter. You're required to turn in all personal effects: cell phone, necklaces, rings, any jewelery really. Any coats, footwear goes in as well, but not after they search your bags and send them through a scanner. Anything electronic must have the batteries removed. They take it and put it in a clear bomb proof crate and take it to the plane. Then you head over to a giant shower looking container, where a computer takes a scan of your body to make sure you dont have any chemicals on you. You then proceed to another half an hour-wait line for the regular metal detectors and patdowns. Yes, patdowns are required. After getting through, you arrive at an area where refreshments are available. There are pizza places, cafes. But, you have to leave any liquids/food behind at the next security checkpoint. You're left with a small sachel specifically for your flight documents and id. Thats checked and searched as well. From there you arrive at the gate. So I get to the gate, and an hour later the plane begins to board. I ask for a pillow, and the stewardess responds "That'll be $30 please.". So the flight goes on. Now a days only one person at a time is allowed to be up to use the bathroom, and are escored by a sky marshal, thats armed with a tazer. The rest of the time, you are to remain seated with your buckle on. The buckles are now electronically controlled by the stewardesses. You're not allowed to have blankets now either, as they cover up your crotch and potential danger. The stewardess brings the food around. Food now a days is a paste, which you eat with an end of a spoon like bowl device, as any kind of silverware is now prohibited. The only other option is a lunchables snack box. Each are $20. Listening to music now costs $5 a flight, and it's $10 to watch movies. Fat people get their own seats on the plane, and are spread about for weight distrobution. At the other end after the plane lands, its pretty much business as usual. You go to an area to pick up your personal belongings, and then off to the carousel to pick up your piece of luggage.

Silver
    2002 Trans AM

Quote Originally Posted by Ramairgod84 View Post
    This is what I think flying will be like in the not too distant future.

So today was the first day of vacation. I got to the airport at 5am, because now you have to arrive 5 hours in advance of your flight. I stand in line for an hour at the ticket counter. Finally I get to the ticket counter as they ask for identification. They now require 4 proofs of id. Passport, driver's liscense, fingerprint scan, and a digital scan of the chip you're implanted with at birth. They ask me if I have any baggage, as I have 1 bag to check. It's $100 for the first and only bag, which must be transparent now for security purposes. I head over to the first security checkpoint. After a half an hour of waiting in line, I get to the counter. You're required to turn in all personal effects: cell phone, necklaces, rings, any jewelery really. Any coats, footwear goes in as well, but not after they search your bags and send them through a scanner. Anything electronic must have the batteries removed. They take it and put it in a clear bomb proof crate and take it to the plane. Then you head over to a giant shower looking container, where a computer takes a scan of your body to make sure you dont have any chemicals on you. You then proceed to another half an hour-wait line for the regular metal detectors and patdowns. Yes, patdowns are required. After getting through, you arrive at an area where refreshments are available. There are pizza places, cafes. But, you have to leave any liquids/food behind at the next security checkpoint. You're left with a small sachel specifically for your flight documents and id. Thats checked and searched as well. From there you arrive at the gate. So I get to the gate, and an hour later the plane begins to board. I ask for a pillow, and the stewardess responds "That'll be $30 please.". So the flight goes on. Now a days only one person at a time is allowed to be up to use the bathroom, and are escored by a sky marshal, thats armed with a tazer. The rest of the time, you are to remain seated with your buckle on. The buckles are now electronically controlled by the stewardesses. You're not allowed to have blankets now either, as they cover up your crotch and potential danger. The stewardess brings the food around. Food now a days is a paste, which you eat with an end of a spoon like bowl device, as any kind of silverware is now prohibited. The only other option is a lunchables snack box. Each are $20. Listening to music now costs $5 a flight, and it's $10 to watch movies. Fat people get their own seats on the plane, and are spread about for weight distrobution. At the other end after the plane lands, its pretty much business as usual. You go to an area to pick up your personal belongings, and then off to the carousel to pick up your piece of luggage.
    sounds like thats how it is now.

Black
    99 SS

thats why its much easier to drive anywhere

2011 Prius

I check the weather, all is good. Drive down to the airport, show the id at the electronic gate. Drive up to the hanger, get out open doors. Pull vette inside, load shit properly in small aircraft. Have a small meal, piss, and what ever shit I need to do. Then well, do a pre-flight and go on my way.

Edit: Close hanger doors before I leave, that would be important.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by SHines-IT View Post
    I check the weather, all is good. Drive down to the airport, show the id at the electronic gate. Drive up to the hanger, get out open doors. Pull vette inside, load shit properly in small aircraft. Have a small meal, piss, and what ever shit I need to do. Then well, do a pre-flight and go on my way.

Edit: Close hanger doors before I leave, that would be important.
    that is my dad actually... lingenfelter vette and an ovation moonie plane...

Black
    2001 WS6

lol it must be nice to be able to fly yourself. I guess the rest of us will have to wait till we have flying cars...which...I kinda doubt we will...ever...

2011 Prius

lol it must be nice to be able to fly yourself. I guess the rest of us will have to wait till we have flying cars...which...I kinda doubt we will...ever...
    Lol, my stepdad airplane cost less then his truck, lol. Allot of people can have an airplane.

Black
    2001 WS6

But would you really want ALOT of people to have airplanes....?

2011 Prius

But would you really want ALOT of people to have airplanes....?
    With how strict the FAA is, I can care less. Because in order to fly, you have to pass your pilot license, not exactly hard or easy. Then strict FAA guideline for maintenance, these are not cars. I would get 50+ year old airplane, after I and my stepdad inspects it... Then fly it, no problem at all... Biggest problem, is when people think they have 500 hours, they know everything... They are morons and the ones who crash, I know guys with 10,000+ hours those guys are good. But they still say they need practice, lol.

PS: I am not a good pilot by all means, stay clear. Still learning.

You can get a nice aircraft, about $20,000-30,000.

PS2: Experimental aircraft, can be worked on by a non A&P Mechanic... I don't trust the average mechanic...

Black
    2001 WS6

Oh wow I didnt know they were that cheap. I just meant I wouldnt want some crazie getting behind the stick of one...plus add road rage..or..is it air rage to that mix and you could have some deadly scenarios

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Oh wow I didnt know they were that cheap. I just meant I wouldnt want some crazie getting behind the stick of one...plus add road rage..or..is it air rage to that mix and you could have some deadly scenarios
    there is no air rage... the ground will tell you what altitude to fly at and inform you of other aircraft... there are also proximity alert equipment that can be had as well...

planes = a shit load safer than driving...

2011 Prius

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    there is no air rage... the ground will tell you what altitude to fly at and inform you of other aircraft... there are also proximity alert equipment that can be had as well...

planes = a shit load safer than driving...
    Yep, how often do you see mid air collision? Almost never, and if so it's pilot error flying in conditions he has no business flying in.

2011 Prius

Let me show you some nice ones, give me about 30 mins. Also best part, you can finance these beast at low interest rate, for 20+ years.

Now, my family has a small fleet of single engine... I will someday like to own a twin engine, so I have thought about financing one... Maybe someday.

Black
    2001 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by SHines-IT View Post
    Yep, how often do you see mid air collision? Almost never, and if so it's pilot error flying in conditions he has no business flying in.
    True, but then again the skies aren't nearly as crowded as the streets.

2011 Prius

Play toy, but would be fin to fly around town in...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1946-...item4a9d4d0660

$20,000-30,000

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cessn...item2a038d456a

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Piper...item439c43dec2

This one is fairly new, I can see this going for $23,000+
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1980-...item4a9d6c7254

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1954-...item1c0ef435a7

Skyhawk, sweeeeeet!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-...item27ae1733dd

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1990-...item439c3dc780

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1979-...item2c526859b8

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1976-...item414b65c3ff

These are good planes that can be had for under $20,000... I just personally would not buy them. Because we have bigger and would be a waist for me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1973-...item3358beb0bd

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cessn...item2c526a4a8d

No, I did not read the adds carefully. But some I would consider looking at on a budget reading up on. Narrow down and get a qualified A/P mechanic to take along.

Black
    2001 WS6

I like the piper. I had nooooo idea those were so cheap, but then again taking into consideration maintenence costs, storage fees and fuel as well im sure it an get up there

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

True, but then again the skies aren't nearly as crowded as the streets.
    you'd be surprised though...

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

ah... my dads first plane was a skyhawk... then he got a cherokee pipe (i think)...

now he can cruise at 200+ knots...

2011 Prius

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    you'd be surprised though...
    Of the top of my head.

6,000 SQ Feet Hanger, $1,000 a month at our local Class D

That's huge as shit, I can easily rent space at $250 for airplanes this size. Still have plenty of room for other stuff. IE me and my junk.

Insurance for said hanger, is under $1,000 a year.

I forget what insurance is on the aircraft, but not much.

I can't argue maintenance, as my stepdad is an A/P Mechanic.

Fuell, at our airport. Self Service $3.64 Full Service $3.94. Hell buy by the bulk get it cheaper.

You can also rent a Piper Warrior for about $100+ an hour. After 200 hours and commercial ratings... Put it this way, the instructor who rents my parents aircraft, makes $35-40 an hour in his pocket, lol. My parents charge him $90-100 an hour depending on how many he books. I know operation cost on a warrior is under $60, I am pretty sure about that.

Also in car terms, the Warrior gets about 20 MPg.
    Last edited by SHines-IT; 12-30-2009 at 11:54 AM.

2011 Prius

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information