Thread: Daily visitor

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

Daily visitor

This little momless moose has been hanging out in my yard everyday for the last month. I took this pic out my back door and about 10 feet away.

Peeking over my 74 camaro.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Pet or moose burgers????

98 Formula
    06 duramax

maybe you can capture it and sell it and then use that money to buy a lawn mower

very cool.....wish we had those around here. Moose that is....we already have over grown yards.

black
    98 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Pet or moose burgers????
    my first thought

Epoxy Block atm
    '68 Firebird LS1

that's so cute. sad that it's mommyless though, wondering why it's so attached to your yard, must be munching on something that's keeping it around, or something.

Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    very cool.....wish we had those around here. Moose that is....we already have over grown yards.
    And here in GA we have plenty of Camaro yard ornaments.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Poor little guy. Or girl I think they stay with their Moms for at least a year. I have no idea how old that calf is though. Hard to tell but looks to be pretty young. I would say under a year and missing it's Mother.

That's sad.

Cool pictures though.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by CJREX View Post
    hahahahaha

yeah

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

Start feeding it and taming it. How boss would it be to get a video of yourself hand feeding a full grown like 1100 lbs bull moose.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

cool

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Quote Originally Posted by Smkn_TA View Post
    Start feeding it and taming it. How boss would it be to get a video of yourself hand feeding a full grown like 1100 lbs bull moose.
    I know you joke, but I think that is against the law. I read an article a while back about a guy who took in a baby deer whose mother had been hit by a car. He locked the fawn within a fenced in yard to protect it from predators. Some nosey neighbor reported him to the police and they made him stop doing it, he faced a massive fine for every day that he violated whatever law. Basically, the deer could stay in his yard if he chose, but not be 'forced' to stay so the guy had to leave the fence open.

Personally, I think it's f---ing lame that with all the ways we destroy nature, we're not allowed to protect a little bit of it here and there when opportunity arises.

But anyway, those are cute pictures. The most excitement I've had in my yard lately was a fledgeling bird hopping around the yard for a few days til he learned to fly...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Schmalgar View Post
    I know you joke, but I think that is against the law. I read an article a while back about a guy who took in a baby deer whose mother had been hit by a car. He locked the fawn within a fenced in yard to protect it from predators. Some nosey neighbor reported him to the police and they made him stop doing it, he faced a massive fine for every day that he violated whatever law. Basically, the deer could stay in his yard if he chose, but not be 'forced' to stay so the guy had to leave the fence open.

Personally, I think it's f---ing lame that with all the ways we destroy nature, we're not allowed to protect a little bit of it here and there when opportunity arises.

But anyway, those are cute pictures. The most excitement I've had in my yard lately was a fledgeling bird hopping around the yard for a few days til he learned to fly...
    I understand where you're coming from but the reality is we do more harm than good usually when we interfere with wildlife. It's normally best to just let nature take it's course. If you trap and feed this animal you just make it dependant on people and although you can't tell from the pics if that's a bull or cow but a mature bull can kill during the rut.....last thing you need hanging out in the back yard. Just let it run loose and it'll either learn to sustain itself using the tools and instincts it has or it becomes a food source for something else.

red
    69 Firebird

Cool pictures, thanks for sharing!

Moose and Deer are from the same family. Both are herbivorous.

I live in a major city. However, I have wet lands behind my house, and I'm at the edge of town. So, although seeing a deer isn't unheard of, it is very rare. About 1.5 years ago, one of my neighbors moved for job reasons. We both have fences between our massive ~1/4 acre of land and the wet lands behind us. His back fence had an opening in it.

For most of last summer, there were a few deer that would eat and rest in that back yard. That back yard is nicely protected by fences, and yet still has a few fast exit possibilities. Amazingly, The neighbors, and neighborhood kids all respected the deer and left them alone.

The point? Last year, my neighbor's back yard provided both a nice safe feed ground, and a safe resting place.

From the pictures, it seem like that moose has found the same thing in that area of that yard.
    The moose has a nice area to feed. It's protected by fences on the sides from sneak attacks. And, it has a few options if a fast exit is needed.

As others suggested. Leave the moose alone. Let it learn how to eat and look out for itself. Let it learn how to live as it should.

Most animals, including humans, look for good feeding grounds and safe areas. Eventually, the moose will expand it's eating and territory areas.

May the moose live well and have good luck!
    Last edited by NE-Firebird; 08-10-2010 at 10:50 PM.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

Have you named it yet? If you name it, it becomes yours, that's federal law, you can look it up.

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

Haha. No name yet. When they become dependant on people and they stop getting fed they get aggressive and have to be shot. Alaska moose which are the biggest, a full grown bull get up to around 1800lbs.
    We had one in the neighborhood a long time ago that people were feeding one winter that had to be shot. But all the meat from any moose hit (car/train, or shot like that goes to needy familys).
    It's not uncommon to see moose daily. Just to have one this little without a mom around, (born this spring), and visiting my yard this much. I just let it be and watch it. What's funny is that night I thought it was going to come into the garage because I had the garage door open and it was 5 feet from the open door, when I first saw it.

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

Quote Originally Posted by CJREX View Post
    This is my first car. I bought it out of high school in 96. Started restoring it back when I worked at a body shop. But I got addicted on these lsx's and late model stuff now. It's sold and I have the money, but the guy hasn't picked it up yet. Which is fine since I have a big yard and it's not in my way.

Thread Information