Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Curse of the red sports car?

I have never owned a red sports car, but the one i am looking at right now is bright red. So my question to those of you that do/have owned a red camaro or such, do you feel like your targeted more by cops as oppose to other cars, or is it all a hoax?!

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

I just bought a red Z last weekend. I'm sure I'll find out.

Black Vert
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1160

Jim how many Fbodies does one man need?

The Red Reaper 98Z28importslayer's Avatar

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 T-Top A4

What do you know i acutally have a perfect story for this lol ... I pull into Kroger gas station to get gas and i havent had my car out in the past 2 weeks days (had exhaust done and some painting). I pull up to the pump, park, go to the window and pay then return to my car and start pumping. This police officer which was a shorter, smaller blonde women approaches me. She tell's me that she receieved a call that i was speeding up and down this road which the speed limit is 45 and im on that road for mybe .3 miles. My house is about 2 miles from Kroger gas station, 1.2 of those miles is going through neighborhood. I said mam this is the first time i have taken my car out in the past 2 weeks from having work done to it ... she says well can i see your license, and i say no problem and show her my license. She tells me that i have a warning and i need to slow down. Keep in mind that she never saw me on that road which is .3 miles long, and i was parked for a good 3 or 4 minutes at the gas station pump. To answer your question YES i think red cars overall attract more attention wether it be cops, people standing on the side of the road or a kid swinging on a swing set. Far as cops go its a color that stands out and its a sports car which for them means more excuses to find a way to pull you over and write you a ticket. I wouldnt let cops judge what color your car should be, i knew this before hand and still bought my red camaro

for sure, im gettin it if at all possible.

01 ta red
    95 mustangV6

I think that is def true everytime I take mine out every cop that drives by bottle necks and turns around, my wife laughs about it and right now will not drive it for that reason. I have not gotten a ticket yet but I do get followed alot... that makes me laugh becouse I usually have my two year old twins in the back and wont speed with them in the car..

I heard red cars insurance is more than other colored cars. Not just F-Bodys, all red cars. Who knows maybe its just that fast of a color Any truth behind this?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Ha I was going down a two lane road tonight coming back from school, and I saw a cop in front, I was doing the limit- t-tops down Joe Satriani playing, and the cop slows down to meet me, I guess he was cool but he told me he was patrolling the area due to complaints. I smiled and nodded- he pulled into a corner where the students do hollywood stops at an intersection ( Good thing I saw him I was looking for a race tonight, caught a camaro in the other direction though_
    I'll get nailed one day....one day oh my car is white so your screwed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Ford_Sucks View Post
    I have never owned a red sports car, but the one i am looking at right now is bright red. So my question to those of you that do/have owned a red camaro or such, do you feel like your targeted more by cops as oppose to other cars, or is it all a hoax?!
    no. i have owned mine for a year now and have not been pulled over once. in this time I have never had a front license plate (cali) and I have run open manifolds and headers and never been pulled over and i speed...ALOT.

Cops and red cars

As a recently retired Cop I can truthfully say that Red attracts the eye on Cops just like everyone else,,,now if that red vehicle is roaring down the street going alot faster than the other vehicles then your chances are of course rapidly increasing to make your contribution to the city or state fund. Keep in mind that old style radar scans the traffic and will lock on to specific vehicles when its tone draws the Cops attention and he triggers the lock. New laser radar is like a rifle scope,,,look through the optics focus beam on specific vehicles and lock on violators. Some even take digital photos with date and time with drivers smiling face. Cops are like everyone else,,,there are great ones and not so great ones, but the rule of thumb as I routinely told the violators who ran their mouths on stops is "Your mouth directly controls my pen".
    Also keep in mind that these vehicles are often high up on the stolen list and also tend to have individuals that rack up a few warrants which will show up when they run your license plate,,,heck I was watching the news last night and they now have a scanner that scans plates as the patrolling officer does his normal duties!

red
    2002 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Ford_Sucks View Post
    no but for the most part I drive like a grandma because I don't want to attract their attention Don't get me wrong I still enjoy the car I just am a little more picky about where I do it.

red with black stripes
    2002 Trans Am WS6

i have owned mine for about 17 months and the cops really havent looked at me twice. i drive slower where the cops are normally at but they still dont follow me.

good stuff guys, all the more encouraging to get my bright red camaro.

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

It was deemed against the law to charge more for insurance based on car color

Bright Red
    99 Z28 M6, 03 Gixxer 1000

I've had my bright red Z since July of last year and have never been "targeted" because of the color. It didn't have any effect on my insurance either.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by NSSTG8TR98 View Post
    Jim how many Fbodies does one man need?
    Hey Jason. IMHO you can never have enough F-bodies. I only have 4 of them.

To be honest with you I bought the red one as a replacement DD for the black 3rd gen.
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 05-14-2008 at 02:18 PM. Reason: spelling

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

they dont' call it "pull-me-over-red" for nothing.

BRIGHT RED
    01 CAMARO SS

i always get the big stare down by cops, got pulled over one time for not havin a front plate, he slowed right down and stared down at my bumper as he drove on by then wiped it around and came after me. told him i had one at my house and i was just headed down to the shop (3km away from my house, so i give him the sob story about all the new vehicles that dont got any and he just give me a complience ticket. to answer ur question yes, i dont think he woulda noticed me if i wasnt bright red.

Stang Smoker

red
    1994 z28

i have a red Z and ive been pulled over once but its cuz i went 88 down 880 in cali (really around 96 but he got me for 88). Other than that I havent been really "targeted" by the police. Also, I drive without a front license plate too.

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am #693

Haha, I'm not sure if its just red in particular or not. Obviously from my avatar you can see mines a pewter TA, but I still get stare downs from cops all the time, and I usually anticipate them following me when I see one. Just last night I was going down a main road off the blvd.(its a nice long open road near a private airstrip), had just made a turn. There was a cop behind some other car going the opposite way that I was going before I made the turn. Im like, alright, he's probably going to be creeping down here right as that light turns and hes gonna try to nail me, so I do the speeding limit, turn up the radio to listen to a tune, and sure enough he came down that 45 MPH road atleast doing 60-70 MPH and as soon as he passed me he got off it. Didn't even take mind to the one other car infront of me that was also speeding with him, hell its just another Accord right? I've actually heard a cop say to my buddy when he got a speeding ticket that Civics around here could smoke it, I almost laughed out loud. I don't get it, our tax money down here pays for them to drive 340 HP Chargers. (I'm going off whats on the web, I doubt thats the actual HP.) You'd think they'd know better. Fan boys.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information