Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crash stories!

Give me a place to stand. levityinc3's Avatar

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

Crash stories!

So I got this idea. I bet there are tons of great accident stories out there, I've got a decent one. I miss my old IROC-Z

Mid May, 2008

So my two of my buddies and I were going up to the upper-peninsula Michigan. We're from Chicago and it was about a nine hour drive. We decided to take my IROC. It had just had a rebuilt tranny, a new starter, new mass air flow sensor, and nearly everything electrical was new. It was in fantastic shape, with only 80k miles. Anyways. I drove all nine hours there and we hung out and had a grand ol time. We slept at a hotel and then left the next morning. We got up early because my two buddies had finals to get to that night. It was about 8:00 am and I stop at a gas station to fill up. I ask my buddies if they want to drive because I'm tired as shit. One says no, the other says and I quote, "Yeah man, I really feel like driving."

My IROC was quite an upgrade compared to his shit-box Geo Prizm with literally more than 300k miles on it. So we're cruising down this two lane highway going about 70 mph. It was a huge straight line, and the whole thing was a pass-zone. So I'm in the back sleeping, music was playing, and my buddies were talking. I hear the driver accelerate and we began passing a car. A few seconds later I here my other buddy say, "Dude, we're not going to make it." I instantly sit up, and look into the other lane where this bitch in (I think) a Ford Taurus was accelerating, and braking, not letting us pass, nor get back over. I look ahead and there's a big ass Ford Expedition coming right at us (at the time I didn't know it was an Expedition, it was close enough to tell it was a Ford tho). So my driver buddy pulls into the oposite lanes shoulder, still going about 70. I remember thinking, "Holy fuck that was close; we made it." That thought was interrupted by the Expeditions tires smoking up and then... Boom. I woke up to the sound of people running over to our car, and my passenger buddy gurgling on his own blood. I hear a woman come and say "Oh my god, there's so much blood." And a guy answering her with "Yeah I don't think this one's going to make it." I still don't know who he was referring to. Anyways, this story could go on for literally days.

My buddy driver's injuries: Hole in his tongue from bitting it and a chipped tooth, stitches on his forehead.

My buddy passenger's injuries: Shattered face bones (all of them). Shattered femur, broken collar bone, broken sternum, broken ribs, fractured pelvis, broken ankles, two broken lumbars, massive internal bleeding, and a traumatic brain injury. He was in a coma for nine days.

My injuries: A few stitches in the head, collapsed right lung, shattered elbow, shattered pelvis, broken sacrum, and two broken lumbars.

We're all fine now, haha.

I'll put up some pictures as soon as I can.
    Last edited by levityinc3; 02-28-2009 at 07:03 PM.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I see a "NWS" in this thread's future.

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    I see a "NWS" in this thread's future.
    what's an nws?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

My old vert, hydroplaned, totaled, broken ribs for me.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by levityinc3 View Post
    what's an nws?
    Not
    Work
    Safe

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Not
    Work
    Safe
    Thank you for the nws definition. What did you hit? The expedition was hauling a boat haha. I forgot to add that bit.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Thank you for the nws definition. What did you hit? The expedition was hauling a boat haha. I forgot to add that bit.
    Both sides of an overpass, several 360s, another oncoming car hit me and it totaled that car as well. 18k estimated damage to the car.

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

note the OP: Don't let friends drive.

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

Haha. Yes. I guess that's the moral of the story. Oh and, wear your seatbelt, I wasn't. Surprised I wasn't launched.

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Both sides of an overpass, several 360s, another oncoming car hit me and it totaled that car as well. 18k estimated damage to the car.
    Damn. From the look of it I'm surprised it wasn't more. Do you have another SS now?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Damn. From the look of it I'm surprised it wasn't more. Do you have another SS now?
    Yes, that was about 4 years ago. Current one is my sig
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

yeah, you're pretty lucky I suppose. Like they say, there is no such thing as an automobile 'accident'. Every crash is avoidable (only thing i have in question to this is deer, etc). But regardless, i'm not innocent, nor preaching perfect driving lol.

16 years, 7 months old. One month After completing my 6mo. mandatory driving with a permit under supervision, i talk the parents into letting me go to town to hang out with a buddy. They agreed and I took the car. (91ish Grand Am) Anyhow, i get there and buddy decides we need to go cruise around (typical thing to do), soo we do. End up at another 'buddys' house and decide to follow him somewhere, where somewhere was i dont remember, but literally ONE block from his house, he stops at a stopsign, and I don't. I was fuckin' around with the stereo I had just put in. Friend that was riding with me had just looked up and yelled "OH SHIT" or something like that, and it was done. And as a side rant, why the fuck do some people have to be such clusterfucks when it comes to using someone elses aftermarket cd player? Its fuckin' simple! look for the eject button, press it, insert your cd where mine came out. Fucking PRESTO there it is. Anyway, back on track..we hit anywhere from 25-35mph, he had just started to roll forward when i failed to stop. I jumped out of the car like a basketball player jumping out of his rip-off pants, failing to even put it in park, it starts rolling backwards. I dont remember saying it, but I guess i yelled "IS THAT MY F'N RADIATOR!" when i saw all of the plastic and whatnot on the ground. Luckily it wasnt. Drove the car the one block back to the kids house who i had run into, did the exchange and whatnot. Got all the info changed over and made the guilt-trip phone call home, and drove 'er. About halfway out of town I notice a car behind me and think nothin' of it. It followed me almost the entire way home, turns out it was a PA-Statie. I dont know whether or not he was called to the scene or what the story was with that, but never stopped me or anything. Ended up costing my insurance like 1100 bucks or somethin' to fix his Cavalier (which he totalled like a month later after not fixin' it) and 117$ to fix the grand am with u-pull parts. *sigh*
    Last edited by Zapper2003; 02-28-2009 at 07:33 PM.

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

Quote Originally Posted by Zapper2003 View Post
    yeah, you're pretty lucky I suppose. Like they say, there is no such thing as an automobile 'accident'. Every crash is avoidable (only thing i have in question to this is deer, etc). But regardless, i'm not innocent, nor preaching perfect driving lol.

16 years, 7 months old. One month After completing my 6mo. mandatory driving with a permit under supervision, i talk the parents into letting me go to town to hang out with a buddy. They agreed and I took the car. (91ish Grand Am) Anyhow, i get there and buddy decides we need to go cruise around (typical thing to do), soo we do. End up at another 'buddys' house and decide to follow him somewhere, where somewhere was i dont remember, but literally ONE block from his house, he stops at a stopsign, and I don't. I was fuckin' around with the stereo I had just put in. Friend that was riding with me had just looked up and yelled "OH SHIT" or something like that, and it was done. And as a side rant, why the fuck do some people have to be such clusterfucks when it comes to using someone elses aftermarket cd player? Its fuckin' simple! look for the eject button, press it, insert your cd where mine came out. Fucking PRESTO there it is. Anyway, back on track..we hit anywhere from 25-35mph, he had just started to roll forward when i failed to stop. I jumped out of the car like a basketball player jumping out of his rip-off pants, failing to even put it in park, it starts rolling backwards. I dont remember saying it, but I guess i yelled "IS THAT MY F'N RADIATOR!" when i saw all of the plastic and whatnot on the ground. Luckily it wasnt. Drove the car the one block back to the kids house who i had run into, did the exchange and whatnot. Got all the info changed over and made the guilt-trip phone call home, and drove 'er. About halfway out of town I notice a car behind me and think nothin' of it. It followed me almost the entire way home, turns out it was a PA-Statie. I dont know whether or not he was called to the scene or what the story was with that, but never stopped me or anything. Ended up costing my insurance like 1100 bucks or somethin' to fix his Cavalier (which he totalled like a month later after not fixin' it) and 117$ to fix the grand am with u-pull parts. *sigh*
    Shit that sucks. Yeah my IROC was done for. Gotta get those pics. Haha, when I went to see the car after I got out of the hospital, the expeditions alternator was in my floorboard and parts of his grill were permanently pressed into what was left of the front of my car.

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Hell the demise of the grandam was a slipped double-roller timing chain in the quad-4. The car at the time was my moms DD, she musta been hotrodding (lmao)but it jumped on a downshift, dented all 4 pistons where the valves hit. We sold the car to some kid who drove it for like another 2-3 years witha different motor/trans.

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

Hell the demise of the grandam was a slipped double-roller timing chain in the quad-4. The car at the time was my moms DD, she musta been hotrodding (lmao)but it jumped on a downshift, dented all 4 pistons where the valves hit. We sold the car to some kid who drove it for like another 2-3 years witha different motor/trans.
    How much trouble were you in haha?

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

I had to fix the car. Parents took a few years to get over the trust issue (wasnt where i said i was gonna be etc), but we're well and clear beyond that now. I really was not driving when the timing jumped.

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

I had to fix the car. Parents took a few years to get over the trust issue (wasnt where i said i was gonna be etc), but we're well and clear beyond that now. I really was not driving when the timing jumped.
    Haha. I forgot about this. When I was a junior in high school, I drove a green v8 durango. I was dating this new chick, and wanted to impress her. So I pull into this park, and start doing donuts and powerslides. It was "slushy" out, and still "slushing." It was snowing but it was like 40 degrees so it just turned to slush. Anyways, there's houses all around, and as I'm in the middle of this huge powerslide... I look ahead, and to my dismay there was a frisbee golf net, coming at me at full speed. I hit they brakes, I still slide, I turn the wheel, I'm still sliding. I hit the frisbee golf net, and fucking launch it into the street. The girl was NOT impressed. Anyways, I tell my parents someone hit me, and that we could look at the damage in the morning. My mom did not believe me because my car was covered in grass, which I could not see in the dark hahaha. It was about $1300 of damage. Trust issues.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

My DD 2 years ago was a 1990 Chevy Beretta...I bought it from a friend for $200 and put nothing in it for 2 years but gas and topped off the oil when it needed it (never changed the filter ).

I was driving home from work one day one a 2 lane highway and it was lightly raining. This car merged and crossed right into my lane in front of me. I slammed on the brakes (forgetting I did not have ABS). The rear wheels locked up and I went to a spin. I don't know how many times I spun, but I eventually found the median, and as soon as I hit that grass/dirt sideways, the car flipped 5 times in the air (not once touching the ground) and landed on its wheels. After I checked myself for injuries (later found out I had a compressed disk in my lower back that still bothers me to this day), I started the car and drove it home. I donated it to charity for a $500 tax deduction 2 weeks later.

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

pre- or post- crash pic?

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    My DD 2 years ago was a 1990 Chevy Beretta...I bought it from a friend for $200 and put nothing in it for 2 years but gas and topped off the oil when it needed it (never changed the filter ).

I was driving home from work one day one a 2 lane highway and it was lightly raining. This car merged and crossed right into my lane in front of me. I slammed on the brakes (forgetting I did not have ABS). The rear wheels locked up and I went to a spin. I don't know how many times I spun, but I eventually found the median, and as soon as I hit that grass/dirt sideways, the car flipped 5 times in the air (not once touching the ground) and landed on its wheels. After I checked myself for injuries (later found out I had a compressed disk in my lower back that still bothers me to this day), I started the car and drove it home. I donated it to charity for a $500 tax deduction 2 weeks later.

Click for full size
    That is a ridiculous and fairly awesome story.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information