Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

Craigslist Warning...

The "take your item down" scam guy (All Over)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Reply to: sale-1021911330@craigslist.org [?]
    Date: 2009-02-05, 10:53AM CST

I recieved this today from a business friend. I thought I'd pass it on, since I've seen a lot of people posting about this sort of thing and I never really got the "I'm out of town" and "Please remove the item and consider it sold"

I don’t consider myself gullible or naïve by any stretch of the imagination… But what I’m about to explain to you is what happened to me over this past weekend. I tell you this story so that you can pass this information on to as many people as possible so that it NEVER happens to anyone else.

So here it is….

I recently downsized and moved into a much smaller house. Because of this; I had furniture that didn’t quite belong in my new space. My girlfriend suggested I go on Craig’s list to sell the items. She had explained to me it was a fast and easy way to sell my furniture. I was not a huge fan of that idea but after a couple more conversations and her telling me of her experiences I said “What the heck”? So I went ahead and put my kitchen table and bakers rack on Craig’s list.

Within an hour I got calls for my table. I had a nice older lady come pick up the table the following day that paid me in cash. It was great. I couldn’t believe how easy this was. I was thrilled with my experience.

That same day, I got an email from a Jerry Colls. He emailed me from his honeymoon stating he was very interested in my bakers rack and to take the advertisement off Craigslist immediately. He told me he could not pick the item up since he was on his honeymoon but, would make arrangements for his movers to pick the item up ASAP since he was in the process of moving.

I advertised the item for $300.00. He told me he’d pay me an extra $50.00 for my trouble to take it off Craig’s list. I responded happily telling him – “Consider it done!”

Well a couple of days went by and I did not hear from him. I thought hmmm… maybe he’s still busy on his honeymoon but, I will email him to check in on his status. Of course he emailed me back with an apology and then told me he had his secretary cut me a check. The problem was, she heard him wrong over the phone and by mistake cut a check for $3,500.00.

“Does this story sound familiar to anyone yet?”

He kindly asked me to please take another $50.00 out -for my trouble of running around to send the access funds back to him via Western Union. I thought – wow “red flag red flag” but of course, my heart was saying most people are honest out in the world and refused to think the worst.

I continued on waiting for the check to arrive. Finally Wednesday 1/14, the check arrived via UPS. It was a CERTIFIED check for $3,500.00. Now think about this –“Can you really tell the difference from a fraudulent certified check and a real one? Obviously not me!” I took the check to the bank with intention just to cash it. I didn’t plan to deposit it in my account.

Now here’s where the shocking part of this story goes for me. I didn’t realize that the bank couldn’t detect a fake/fraudulent check vs. a real check. I assumed the bank would catch that immediately. I counted on the bank to know the difference.

“It is beyond my comprehension that you can go to the grocery store and write a check right there on the spot and they can determine if there are funds in the account to continue the transaction but, a bank cannot do this”.

Of course I cashed the check thinking all was well. I still felt a little strange about the transaction but again kept telling myself that the bank would not have allowed me to cash the check if it was fake. I took the access funds to Western Union and you guys know the rest. Yes – the money minus the price of the bakers rack went to Mr. Jerry colls/ Maktardou Diablou or Juan Rimarez or whatever his name truly is/was. The total amount was for $3,500.00. All the money that was in my personal account – NOW GONE – OF MY OWN FREE WILL.

It wasn’t until the following day that I got an email back from him stating that his mover got into an accident and he was desperate and had no money. Could I please send $300.00 to his mover so he could pay his bill at the hospital and then come pick up the bakers rack? That was a shocker to me!!!!

I told my colleagues at work what had happened and it all came out. “Jill – this is a scam! One of my co-workers stated to me. “Haven’t you heard about this??? It’s all over the internet”. Wow – did I feel like a complete schmuck? Obviously I had not heard about it. If I did – do you think I would have participated in this? This is my first and only experience with Craig’s list.

I just cannot believe there are people out there preying on people and their gullibility. I come from an honest place. It really didn’t dawn on me that people could actually be so completely cruel. What an amazingly stupid, pathetic, gullible expensive mistake I made.

Well, I went to the local police, I called Western Union, and I spent time at the bank with the bank manager. I filed complaints on ic3.Gov and fraud.org. I tried to call the attorney general Thurbert Baker although it is the weekend and his office is closed. I even went so far as to call a private investigator. That’s how truly angry, hurt, upset and shocked I am. I am now considering going to every news channel in this city who will listen to my story.

The sad part about this is that everyone I talked to i.e. the police, the bank, the private investigator told me there was nothing I could do. This scum sucking sick bastard is going to get away with this!

The only thing I can do now is tell everyone I know about this.

The really sad part is I am just one of thousands of suckers out there in the world and this has been going on for a very long time.

The officer I spoke with told me he gets a call like this 20 times a day. So did the PI I spoke with. If that’s the case, why the hell have I not heard about it? Why haven’t my friends heard about it? Why the hell isn’t this story in the news? Because someone didn’t die or physically get hurt??? Is it not a big enough, news worthy story to get attention?? Or for that matter, for the police to do anything?? What has to happen in the world for it to be a big news story? I hope everyone that reads this learns from my pathetic mistake and passes this story on.

Cliff notes:

Don't pull your item off till cash is in hand,
    DO NOT CASH ANY TYPE OF CHECK, AND SEND THE "EXTRA" MONEY BACK TO THE SENDER!!!

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Black
    BLK TA modded 12.2@113mph

I know your story. It happens everyday and more and more all the time. These people are everywhere. Kijiji is another site they sell cars for $10000 instead of $17000 and ude that they are widows and that you can have this vehicle but you need to send a cheque and they will deliver the vehicle and that everything is secure through ebay anyway I hate hearing people getting caught. I have to say that yours was a well organised scam.

blue
    83 mustang 347

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post
    Click for full size

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post
    Click for full size
    That's fuckin hilarious....

Didn't happen to me... just passing on a warning...
    I'd've hunted the bastard down and beat his eyes shut.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I can't believe people are falling for these scams. And, I know they do everyday!

I guess I'm a little less trusting. If I'm selling something, I want cash in hand before I ship out anything. And, if someone is offering you money for nothing... that's just what you're gonna get. Nothing. But taken that is.

But, as long as there are people out there that will comply... there will be schemers scamming.

Kamen Blue
    05 Segueway

I don't ship from craigslist.org, period. The whole point is local sales and barter.

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    I can't believe people are falling for these scams. And, I know they do everyday!

I guess I'm a little less trusting. If I'm selling something, I want cash in hand before I ship out anything. And, if someone is offering you money for nothing... that's just what you're gonna get. Nothing. But taken that is.

But, as long as there are people out there that will comply... there will be schemers scamming.
    I'm selling my Pen 15 if you wanna buy it.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Nhra Firebird View Post
    I'm selling my Pen 15 if you wanna buy it.
    What color is it?

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
    I don't ship from craigslist.org, period. The whole point is local sales and barter.
    Honestly, I've never even looked at Craigslist.

What color is it?
    white and purple

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

I love CL, its a great tool... but just don't get taken...

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

had nothing to do with shipping...

Kamen Blue
    05 Segueway

Quote Originally Posted by FORD RECOVERY EXPERT View Post
    had nothing to do with shipping...
    Give me a couple of hours to finish reading the first post and I'll get back to you

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Nhra Firebird View Post
    white and purple
    Hmm, no thanks. Guess I'll just keep using the one I have here

Hmm, no thanks. Guess I'll just keep using the one I have here

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

Give me a couple of hours to finish reading the first post and I'll get back to you
    No doubt it's long, just wanted to give the full story... At least I cliff noted it.

Awaiting Activation

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6 D1SC

I had this same scam happen to me!!!

We'll attempted on me... I didnt fall for it though.

I put a guitar amp on CL, a real high dollar one at that and I got some real guys contact me and I talked to them over the phone. They were legit but the sales fell through.

Eventually I got this email from "Nathan Smith":
    =================
    Hello,

Is this item still for sale?
    Reply asap.

Nathan.
    ===============

So I replied, yes its still for sale and I got this in response:
    ==================================
    Thanks for the response.I am willing to pay your asking price.I will pay by a check as its the only way i can pay you at the moment.I will make arrangement for the pickup after payment have been received by you.I don't mind adding an extra $50 so you can keep it in my favor.I would have loved to come take a look at it but i am presently out of town,send me some pictures.Reply with your name,phone # and mailing address where payment will be sent.I will let you know how i intend to pick it up.Please take the posting off craigslist today and consider it sold to me.

Expecting to hear from you soon.
    Warm Regards.
    ================================================== ======
    Ok, seemed legit. So I replied by giving him more pictures of the amp head and with my phone number but told him that Id rather him call first before I gave him my address. I also took the listing down. Seemed odd how he never mentioned anything particular about my item though. It was a general.

So a few days went by and this guy never called me to I send him another email saying that since he hasnt responded to me that I put the listing back up which I did.

Now not but a few hours after I put it back on CL I got this email from "Byan Cooker":
    ===========================
    Hello,

Reply asap.

Bryan.
    ============================

I was like huh? Thats weird, its the same thing as the last guy but what ever and I said yeah, still for sale. And what do you know this was the reply:

Thanks for the response.I am willing to pay your asking price.I will pay by a check as its the only way i can pay you at the moment.I will make arrangement for the pickup after payment have been received by you.I don't mind adding an extra $50 so you can keep it in my favor.I would have loved to come take a look at it but i am presently out of town,send me some pictures.Reply with your name,phone # and mailing address where payment will be sent.I will let you know how i intend to pick it up.Please take the posting off craigslist today and consider it sold to me.

Warm Regards.

Yeah you get the point.

Only exchange phone numbers on CL and always deal with local pick ups.

They even have a disclaimer in the email:

** CRAIGSLIST ADVISORY --- AVOID SCAMS BY DEALING LOCALLY
    ** Avoid: wiring money, cross-border deals, work-at-home
    ** Beware: cashier checks, money orders, escrow, shipping
    ** More Info: http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams.html

Be smart guys and girls! Only use CL to pick up fat and ugly bitches.

None

Quote Originally Posted by TempleU_WS6 View Post
    I had this same scam happen to me!!!

We'll attempted on me... I didnt fall for it though.

I put a guitar amp on CL, a real high dollar one at that and I got some real guys contact me and I talked to them over the phone. They were legit but the sales fell through.

Eventually I got this email from "Nathan Smith":
    =================
    Hello,

Reply asap.

Nathan.
    ===============

So I replied, yes its still for sale and I got this in response:

Warm Regards.
    ================================================== ======
    Ok, seemed legit. So I replied by giving him more pictures of the amp head and with my phone number but told him that Id rather him call first before I gave him my address. I also took the listing down. Seemed odd how he never mentioned anything particular about my item though. It was a general.

So a few days went by and this guy never called me to I send him another email saying that since he hasnt responded to me that I put the listing back up which I did.

Now not but a few hours after I put it back on CL I got this email from "Byan Cooker":
    ===========================
    Hello,

Reply asap.

Bryan.
    ============================

I was like huh? Thats weird, its the same thing as the last guy but what ever and I said yeah, still for sale. And what do you know this was the reply:

Warm Regards.

Yeah you get the point.

Only exchange phone numbers on CL and always deal with local pick ups.

They even have a disclaimer in the email:

** CRAIGSLIST ADVISORY --- AVOID SCAMS BY DEALING LOCALLY
    ** Avoid: wiring money, cross-border deals, work-at-home
    ** Beware: cashier checks, money orders, escrow, shipping
    ** More Info: http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams.html

Be smart guys and girls! Only use CL to pick up fat and ugly bitches.

Nice catch Temp! Smart Man

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Shoot, a few years ago I had a guy contact me saying he wanted one of my puppies. He was going to send me a money order for $2000 in a show of good faith to hold the pup for him and wanted me to send him back $1000 and keep the extra $250 for my trouble???

Yeah, right... Who does that? It only takes a bit of common sense. He was obviously searching breeder websites. To this day I wonder if anyone took him up on his offer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information