Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Question Could this be a good starter atv?

Could this be a good starter atv?

http://www.budgetatvs.com/Detail.cfm?id=786

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

"Nah dude you'll be fine, get a gsxr1000 for your first"

^translate that from sportbike advice into atv advice.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

go for a used jap bike. The knock offs break readily and parts are hard or sometimes impossible to get

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Motor wise yes thats a good starter atv if anything 300cc is a little small. Brand wise I wouldn't recommend getting an off brand. It'll end up costing more in the long run when it breaks down

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Loncin is a huge chinese company that makes pretty much every small engine you see in the cheap atvs and generators. Loncin made the engine in my sons 4 wheeler. He's had it a little over a year now riding it almost daily and we've had no issues with it. I also have a generator with a Loncin built engine and it's ran fine the 4 years I've had it. The issue with the chinese stuff is the build quality. You have to watch the nuts and bolts on everything....I took every single bolt out of my sons 4 wheeler and put loctite on them and then re-installed them because nothing was tight on it.

'69 Camaro

For you or someone else?

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.C&I View Post
    For you or someone else?
    it's for me

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Loncin is a huge chinese company that makes pretty much every small engine you see in the cheap atvs and generators. Loncin made the engine in my sons 4 wheeler. He's had it a little over a year now riding it almost daily and we've had no issues with it. I also have a generator with a Loncin built engine and it's ran fine the 4 years I've had it. The issue with the chinese stuff is the build quality. You have to watch the nuts and bolts on everything....I took every single bolt out of my sons 4 wheeler and put loctite on them and then re-installed them because nothing was tight on it.
    Thanks for the advice would you get this one for your self?

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

I wouldnt get something like that, the price is tempting but you always get what you pay for

midnight blue
    2000 Pontiac ram air ws-6

Buy a yamaha or a Honda...and suzuki forget everthing else.

In my experience the leaning curves on these are very quick. I would get nothing less that a 450. You will get tired of a small quad and outgrow it very quickly. It will be hard to sell because nobody wants a little girl quad if ya know what I'm saying.

'69 Camaro

For you, I'd go for either a honda, yamaha, suzuki, or kawasaki. You'd love the 450 or the usually smaller trail variant

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Murder after Midnight View Post
    Thanks for the advice would you get this one for your self?
    I don't know.....I doubt it because if I bought something for myself it would be something I'd want to keep for years and years and I'd like parts to be a little more accessible. For my kids who are gonna outgrow the little one in a couple of years it made sense but for something I was going to keep around a while I would probably get a name brand. The generator for me was the same kinda deal....I don't use it enough to justify the high dollar honda's so I can buy 6 or 7 of these and just throw them away for the price of 1 honda.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I forgot to add that many of the engines are great. But everything else around it is generally crap. Bars, plastic, controls, drive parts etc.

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

this thing just screams CHEAP...i wouldnt get into something like this.....you can get a really good quality used unit for cheaper than that, that wont have near the amount of problems i can see you having with this thing

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

I've ridden since I was 14. Imo theres TONS of good deals on used name brand jap machines to justify purchasing ANYTHING chinese in any situation OTHER then the 4wheeler that Orion bought his kids.....

Just youtube chinese dirtbikes or chinese quads and watch endless videos on what junk they are.

If you want a quality sport atv look at older yamaha warriors. They are big enough for a big guy, the 350cc 4stroke in it lasts forever and is plenty powerful enough to keep you entertained for a long time, theres tons of aftermarket, and the warrior can take a beating. So basically I'd look at used yamahas and hondas. I rather have a clean used jap bike then a brand spankin new chinese bike. You arent saving yourself any money with a chinese bike and you'll even wish ya spent more when the machine is broken in your garage and you cant ride it.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

I've loved the past few christmasses around here. People get cheap quads and go karts for their kids, they annoy the piss out of everyone lapping the neighborhood at 1am, then they're broke a few days later. My idiot neighbor has purchased two junk quads for his kids, they both died quickly.. Look at something like a blaster. Slow as balls stock but has alot of real performance potential. Air cooled, oil injected so you don't have to mix gas, easy to work on. They made them forever and you can get one way cheap

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
    I've loved the past few christmasses around here. People get cheap quads and go karts for their kids, they annoy the piss out of everyone lapping the neighborhood at 1am, then they're broke a few days later. My idiot neighbor has purchased two junk quads for his kids, they both died quickly.. Look at something like a blaster. Slow as balls stock but has alot of real performance potential. Air cooled, oil injected so you don't have to mix gas, easy to work on. They made them forever and you can get one way cheap
    two things..... lol the blaster is only slow as balls because of the machines you are used to that go super fast and 2 i think the OP is like 6'5 and a Blaster is WAY too small for someone his size.

I think warrior or 400ex is the right machine for him

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

I just realized that chinese quad he found is 1800 bucks, what a ripoff lol You can get a good Yamaha for that used.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

I'd say the bike in his link is similar in size. There aren't really any comfortable beginner quads for a 6'5" dude. And yes, to me 18 horsepower carrying 300+ pounds of bike is slow pipe, air box, reeds, and jetting helps alot. They're choked stock.
    I like your 400ex idea. Xr motors are nuke proof and it will have way more potential than the warrior/raptor 350. Hell, the 450 race bikes are only making 30-something horsepower with the pinky sized exhaust, snorkel intake, and all sorts of other crap
    Last edited by wheeliE-maxx; 04-07-2010 at 04:54 PM.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
    I'd say the bike in his link is similar in size. There aren't really any comfortable beginner quads for a 6'5" dude. And yes, to me 18 horsepower carrying 300+ pounds of bike is slow pipe, air box, reeds, and jetting helps alot. They're choked stock.
    I used to RAPE blasters on my Yz80 when I was 15. Some dude put a lot of money into his blaster too and I still wailed on him lol Then he got a 240 kit and the thing was pretty quick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information