Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Senior Member FuxOnTheFirstDate's Avatar

Shit

Cops. What Do You Think of Them?

And why?

Personally, I think they are asses for the most part. There are a few good ones that are down to earth and aren't hell bent on giving out as many tickets as they possibly can. I think that for the most part, they make shitty use of their "discretion". For instance, when someone comes to a stop sign with no traffic around and they don't quite come to a complete stop and they get a ticket anyway. I can understand if there is traffic around or if they completely ignore the stop sign and give absolutely no effort to be cautious, but when they clearly aren't a danger and they are being cautious, give them a break. I don't know, maybe it is because a cop's job performance is largely based on the number of arrests they make and the tickets they write.

Another thing, why is it perfectly okay for them to break the laws they write tickets for? I was pacing a state cop the other day doing 15 over the limit and he was radaring people as they passed by. I've seen them street race their personal cars before and burn 'em as they leave a stop sign or light.

When I see a cop I obviously obey the law and do the speed limit. But when they pass me and I'm doing the speed limit, I speed up and pace them. I've yet to follow a local cop in my town that is obeying the speed limit. Its not fair to us. Just because I work for an accountant doesn't mean I get to get out of my taxes each year and they shouldn't be able to break the laws they enforce. Rant over, what are your thoughts?
    "You shut your mouth when you're talkin' to me!!" - Rebecca De Mornay from the movie "Wedding Crashers"

impulse blue
    06 GTO

Just the same as asking about any other professional. In every crowd, there's the good and bad. We are one of the most scrutenized professions out there. Try purchasing a home, real estate agents....now there's a crook.

Quote Originally Posted by flat-top
    Just the same as asking about any other professional. In every crowd, there's the good and bad. We are one of the most scrutenized professions out there. Try purchasing a home, real estate agents....now there's a crook.
    And exactly how are real estate agents crooks if you are buying a home??? Obviously you haven't purchased one because if you did you would know that it does not cost you anything to use a real estate agent to buy your house.

2ndly, if you want to talk crooked we can go down that road very easily the 1st post was just the tip of the iceberg for what cops do and get away with.

Let's talk about jobs that get paid $55K like teachers and have 2 months off for summer break and only work 180 days out of the year. Then they get out at 3 every day. Weekends off, health benefits up the wazoo and after 3 years the only way they get fired is if they kill someone or molest a student.

You make a statement like you did about a job you know nothing about and you look foolish.

(p.s. my comment about teachers was an example not meant to be an ignorant comment like his)

I rather be wakeboarding SexyWS6Mama's Avatar

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 WS6

Overall, cops serve their purpose

I don't always like cops when they are pulling me over, but obviously I was actually doing something wrong.

Let's give our cops a hand on the back

I rather be wakeboarding SexyWS6Mama's Avatar

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 WS6

P.S. I"m a teacher and I won't take offense on your comment

lee1rbc
    I remember when living in Leesburg VA. I did installation work and drove the same 4 mile trip to my work truck every day. Right before my work I had to take an exit ramp that had a stop sign before merging onto the next road. I slowed down to about 2mph and looked an nobody was coming, 6:56am. I get on the road and when I looked forward there were to cops with a radar gun waving me over. They gave me a ticket for failer to obey a highway sign in the parking lot of my work. I think your right on. There are cops that love to get you on anything possible and also act as if there exempt from traffic laws. But I have also had times when cops were way cool with me, so for me it evens out.

Black
    2000 WS6

Just like any other profession....you gotta take the good with the bad.

badass67
    Most Cops are good. the bad eggs are the ones that everyone crys about.
    I have been given more breaks on speeding then I have not.
    It is all how you show respect to the cop. Give him/her respect, and most likely, they will give it back.
    And of course, if you are breaking the law, and the cop bust you , you bitch.
    If someone else is, and the cop is NOT there, you bitch.
    If you need a cop, and he is not RIGHT there, you bitch.

When I say YOU, I mean people in general. It is typical.

Example - Jan 2nd, I was cruisin on my Hog in a 40 MPH zone, I was doin 60 something.
    I saw the cop, knew I was busted. As soon as he started merging and lights came on, I signalled, moved to the right lane, acknowlegde him, then turned off the road and got into a safe place to stop.
    I turned off the motor to my Scoot and pulled out my wallet.
    I had my DL out, alonge with my expired registration and expired insurance card.
    I was polite and apologized.
    He ended up dropping the 20+ and SIX pointer to a 59, and two point plus 1/2 fine.
    I was lucky. I met a cool cop (his name was SCHUPE!). And I di not make fun of his name!

Not all cops are bad, but most people treat them like they are.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

I've had total dicks and I've had great guys. there is no "general" for cops, take em as you get em. I've been let off for 80something in a 70, yet I've had em be dicks over litte stuff like my licence not having my new address on it a week after I moved

I will be the one to say it. I can stand cops just not female ones. They are the most brutal out there regardless of how the odds are stacked against them.

My friend is in the police academy here and was telling me about a female cop instructor. He said she told some of the class at lunch she was upset her boyfriend had left her, so every white truck she saw that day she wrote 5 tickets for since he drived a white truck.

Every female cops i have encountered wether it be friendly, or me being pulled over has had this "Im a bitch and can shoot you if you move wrong" attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by badass67
    Most Cops are good. the bad eggs are the ones that everyone crys about.
    I have been given more breaks on speeding then I have not.
    It is all how you show respect to the cop. Give him/her respect, and most likely, they will give it back.
    And of course, if you are breaking the law, and the cop bust you , you bitch.
    If someone else is, and the cop is NOT there, you bitch.
    If you need a cop, and he is not RIGHT there, you bitch.

When I say YOU, I mean people in general. It is typical.

Example - Jan 2nd, I was cruisin on my Hog in a 40 MPH zone, I was doin 60 something.
    I saw the cop, knew I was busted. As soon as he started merging and lights came on, I signalled, moved to the right lane, acknowlegde him, then turned off the road and got into a safe place to stop.
    I turned off the motor to my Scoot and pulled out my wallet.
    I had my DL out, alonge with my expired registration and expired insurance card.
    I was polite and apologized.
    He ended up dropping the 20+ and SIX pointer to a 59, and two point plus 1/2 fine.
    I was lucky. I met a cool cop (his name was SCHUPE!). And I di not make fun of his name!

Not all cops are bad, but most people treat them like they are.

depends where you live. Try living in the city I grew up in and tell me cops are "fair". For a little reference, several top ranking city cops were eventually nabbed for growing/distributing drugs. Go into any recovery resources center for domestic abuse....24% were cops. Have cops sit outside the high school and follow kids after they get out of school....same way with the bars (there were no cabs that ran after midnight). Either myself or my friends had called the cops and let them know of several drunk drivers that happened to be cops (they had to hold onto the bar to stand up). Several times we even followed the cop to ensure he was pulled over.....How many times do you think they got a DUI?

And it didn't matter how polite you were when you got pulled over. I was a squeeky clean kid in high school, straight A's, didn't drink, never did any drugs, etc. and I was pulled over twice and had my entire car ripped apart...the assholes took my seats out of my car, the carpet out, etc. Guess who had to put it all back together? They quoted probable cause as the reason for the search...although they had no probable cause. One of the times I was pulled over for going 2 miles over the speed limit and the other itme for not having a front license plate. There was nothing in my car to give them any probable cause. I made formal complaints on at least 8 or 9 cops....do you think the cops were reprimanded? Of course not.

And I had it easy compared to some of my friends.

I was pulled over by a few decent cops. But for every one decent cop there were 20 that were crooked.
    BTW...i'm not one to bitch if i was doing something wrong. If I was speeding, didn't have a front license plate, had my windows tinted, etc I deserved a ticket. But you know it's getting pretty bad when you get a speeding ticket for 2 miles over. God forbid the cops worry about real problems in the community like all the meth, coke, weed, etc....of course then they'd have to be busting their colleagues.
    Last edited by mdh100; 02-15-2006 at 03:54 PM.

Red
    93 Camaro V6(I know lame)

Cops do their job for the most part. I respect what they have to do and put up with though.

I got a ticket last weekend for "no front plate" cuz I had pulled it off to clean it and forgot to put it back on. He gave me a $101 dollar ticket for not having it. So now I gotta go talk to the judge and see if he will let it slide. wish me luck

Quicksilver Metallic
    2005 Pontiac GTO

Generally, they're power-hungry ball busters. I know a few personally and have had good and bad run-ins with the some local cops. Yep, there's some cool ones out there. But the bad outweighs the good. Last month, I asked one for directions when leaving a football game and he screamed "do I speak Portugese, keep moving!" Wow, to protect and serve. Now, I know he's not my own personal Mapquest but come on, asking if I should go left or right to get to a major highway isn't asking too much, is it? He then accused me of being drunk because I had only my parking lights on while sitting in traffic. I always do that in my truck b/c I would blind the person in front of me if I left them on. The cool ones I know, they're usually not on the force too long, it's the dicks that seem to stick around. From what I understand, it just gets worse the higher you go in the department too....

Quote Originally Posted by t/as&dds
    He then accused me of being drunk because I had only my parking lights on while sitting in traffic. I always do that in my truck b/c I would blind the person in front of me if I left them on.
    Ha! You must be the first truck owner I've ever heard admit that their headlights are blinding....

I've approached countless trucks where I'm convinced that they are blinding me with their high beams so I turn mine on...Then they hit their high beams to throw it back at me...Now I feel like I'm staring at the sun and almost drive into them head-on due to not being able to see anything... Why the hell aren't ALL vehicles subject to the same lighting restrictions? Truck headlights are tuned to a height that blinds drivers of "normal" cars, yet if my headlights are pointed upwards, I'll likely be cited for bad headlight aim... wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by z_driver1
    I've had total dicks and I've had great guys. there is no "general" for cops, take em as you get em. I've been let off for 80something in a 70, yet I've had em be dicks over litte stuff like my licence not having my new address on it a week after I moved
    To make your point, I was pulled over a few years ago for driving around 110mph (in a 55 zone) in mixed traffic. The officer ran my plate/license...When they turned out okay he asked me to please slow down and have a nice evening.

A few years prior to that I was driving in the same area doing about 70 and received a $200+ ticket along with a 10 minute lecture. I beat that ticket since I was able to prove that my car had a defective speedo.

Another time, I was driving 40 and got a warning for 40 in a 25. Interestingly enough, I was stopped on a section of road where the posted speed limit was actually 35 and the cop stated it was really 25 due to fact that it was in close proximity to a shopping center.

I guess it's like rolling the dice each time you encounter a cop. Regardless, I've always remained respectful when stopped because they sure as hell aren't going to give you a break if you give'm lip.

Impounded

silver
    02 modified z28

Quote Originally Posted by FuxOnTheFirstDate
    And why?

Personally, I think they are asses for the most part. There are a few good ones that are down to earth and aren't hell bent on giving out as many tickets as they possibly can. I think that for the most part, they make shitty use of their "discretion". For instance, when someone comes to a stop sign with no traffic around and they don't quite come to a complete stop and they get a ticket anyway. I can understand if there is traffic around or if they completely ignore the stop sign and give absolutely no effort to be cautious, but when they clearly aren't a danger and they are being cautious, give them a break. I don't know, maybe it is because a cop's job performance is largely based on the number of arrests they make and the tickets they write.

Another thing, why is it perfectly okay for them to break the laws they write tickets for? I was pacing a state cop the other day doing 15 over the limit and he was radaring people as they passed by. I've seen them street race their personal cars before and burn 'em as they leave a stop sign or light.

When I see a cop I obviously obey the law and do the speed limit. But when they pass me and I'm doing the speed limit, I speed up and pace them. I've yet to follow a local cop in my town that is obeying the speed limit. Its not fair to us. Just because I work for an accountant doesn't mean I get to get out of my taxes each year and they shouldn't be able to break the laws they enforce. Rant over, what are your thoughts?
    I do think you are generalizing for one.
    Are all accountants crooks? Of course not.
    It is not okay for anyone to break the law nor is it a good idea to pace an officer if they are on duty or off.
    There are more good police than bad.
    A stop sign means, "stop". Not slow down and then proceed.
    Are u saying u are following or pacing policeman? Well that can go bad.
    Policemen also pay taxes. In fact they have to or they recieve some sort of discipline for not paying.
    Just like you have a job to do, so does a police officer. If citing people or arresting people is a way to show an officer is a way of serving and protecting, so be it.

I say this to you fuxonthefirstdate. Worry about your job and noone elses. The police are definitely not worried about what you do for a living.
    Is an accountant's job this dangerous?

http://www.break.com/movies/copgrazed.html
    ?
    Last edited by odinsonthor; 02-15-2006 at 08:28 PM.

Impounded

silver
    02 modified z28

Quote Originally Posted by Tman
    Just like any other profession....you gotta take the good with the bad.
    True..

Impounded

silver
    02 modified z28

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrus
    I will be the one to say it. I can stand cops just not female ones. They are the most brutal out there regardless of how the odds are stacked against them.

My friend is in the police academy here and was telling me about a female cop instructor. He said she told some of the class at lunch she was upset her boyfriend had left her, so every white truck she saw that day she wrote 5 tickets for since he drived a white truck.

Every female cops i have encountered wether it be friendly, or me being pulled over has had this "Im a bitch and can shoot you if you move wrong" attitude.
    Stereotyping/generalizing. You shouldn't listen to what other people say to u. Friends lie to.

Future Super Trooper Mr. CarelessAndImprudent's Avatar
    '69 Camaro

Most cops are cool, but there are the jerks out on a power trip.

Cool cop examples: Let me out of a lot of possible C and I's, speeding tickets, etc.
    Bad cop examples: Pulled over because I drive a fast car and he wanted to call his
    buddies and see if they had seen me do anything. (really happened)

Anyways, I've deserved the tickets I got and have had my fair share of luck.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Quote Originally Posted by odinsonthor
    Stereotyping/generalizing. You shouldn't listen to what other people say to u. Friends lie to.
    Just for the record, anytime I run across a reply from you where you type like the above example, I automatically scroll through it without ever reading it because it's so ANNOYING!

Get my drift?

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information