Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    2001 Pewter SS

Computer Tip Of The Day

TIP OF THE DAY
    (Device Problems)
    At startup the fan will spin fast for a couple of moments while in boot.

If you have a CPU monitor check for temp and rpm's etc.

You may go to performance management in XP and see the CPU's performance.

CD/CDRW/DVD/DVDRW are curious little fellers.
    Sometimes they blaze and other times they seem to hesitiate or slowdown.
    The most common problem is the ribbon/cable from the motherboard to device.
    Changing this is the cheapest fix and or the easiest to troubleshoot and/or eliminate that as the error.

Suggest cable over ribbon, sata is even better.

Devices that are failing should not be a problem with XP but nonetheless they will slowdown the CPU.

Sometimes you may have to disconnect each device and see what happens to the CPU's performance.

First, do a disk check.
    If using XP, open the C drive and click properties.
    Under tools click both boxes.
    You will need to reboot to start check.
    Go have coffee as this takes awhile.

If you can get back at the moment scandisk is finished, hit pause and see what scandisk found.

After check disk is done see if this corrected bad sectors etc.
    You should be getting a smoother faster performance.

2001 Pewter SS

Tip Of The Day

For some faster internet always unplug your power cable from the DSL/Cable box for a few moments from time to time.
    This clears out the cache and resets.
    This is important in case your ISP has increased its speed.

2001 Pewter SS

Tip Of The Day

When making changes to your system, XP considers most changes as a *catastrophic event* so always reflash your bios with the latest update after changes.
    This also allows the MB to *see* what you've done and enhances the stability.

2001 Pewter SS

Tip Of The Day

To enhance the performance of your XP based Pentium ...
    Go to My Computer and right click.
    Go to properties and click.
    Click advanced.
    Click settings in performance.
    Click the advanced tab.
    Click change in virtual memory.
    Enter the maximum value in initial size and maximum size.

click ok to all and reboot.

Your Dimms (memory) are now being fully utilized.

You are now blazing.

2001 Pewter SS

Tip Of The Day

Lets master some msconfig.

Go to START and open RUN
    Type msconfig
    Hit ok

Click the startup tab.

You see all those little boxes with check marks?
    This means XP has your CPU running all these program which completely slows down your CPU.

There's a lot of trash in there you don't need to be running unless you want to run them typically when you open an icon your desktop.
    By the way, XP hates icons on your desktop and this slows it down.

Uncheck anything you don't recognize.
    Like Adobe Gamma Loader and anything adobe.
    Other programs you can uncheck because you can open them when you want to such as printer software.
    Do not uncheck any of your Virus software like Symantec or Java.

Click ok
    restart

A screen will come up when you come back to desktop and leave it open for a few times until you get the hang of it.

Or close and don't remind.

You can always start over begining with the beginning.

2001 Pewter SS

Tech Update

This is theeeeeeeee baddest CPU currently available.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
    Last edited by Aerialist; 05-24-2006 at 04:14 PM.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

isnt it supposed to be one tip per day

thats a weeks worth

lol

2001 Pewter SS

Tip Of The Day

Today is Routine Maintenance day.
    Open all of your programs .. I mean everyone and check for updates.
    Sometimes you have update programs running in the background and this could be a likely cause for slowdown.

For Word:
    Open word
    Click Help at the top.
    Click Office on the Web.
    To the right is Check for Updates .. click
    Now perform Office Update.
    I'll bet you have a gazillion updates you havent even bothered to check like OFFICE SP-3
    Download and install now reboot.

First update the Anti-Virus software

Second, go to the top of your browser and open Tools
    Click Internet Options
    Click Advanced.
    In addition to the checks in the boxes already there, put a check in the following boxes:

1. Automatically check for Internet Explorer updates
    2. Empty Temporary Internet files folder when Browser is closed.
    This is important because it does what Diskclean does in the next step. (Ever notice how your CPU heats up when performing the Diskclean function because it takes so long because of all the crap it wants to clean?)
    This also gives you a snappy Browser.

Third, go to DiskCleanup
    Put checks only in:

Temporary Internet Files
    Recycle Bin
    Temporary Files
    Now perform the clean.

Third, Disk Defragment

Now I highly recommend the program Lavasoft Adware SE.
    The Internet is a viscious place for all sorts of crap that ends up in your registry causing slowdown.

download here and install
    http://www.download.com/3405-8022-51...bj=dl&tag=top5

Once installed it performs a system scan.
    When finished it tells you that have critical objects and neglible objects.
    You click both tabs and *select all*

Then continue.

Keep the scan on Smart Scan to perform this routine daily.
    Always check for updates to this program called *build*

If you think you're CPU is acting slowly then check this update as it wants to update.

Perform these routines once a day or more.

Once again, you're blazing.

2001 Pewter SS

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss
    isnt it supposed to be one tip per day

thats a weeks worth

lol
    I'm consolidating ... where do I put the tip jar?

2001 Pewter SS

<------- check out my new warning from SeVeReDiStOrTiOn

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Aerialist
    Click advanced.
    Click the advanced tab.

You are now blazing.
    How do you know the maximum?

2001 Pewter SS

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfe13
    How do you know the maximum?
    What memorys do you have exactly ... also their should be a little window that tells you what your maximum is.
    You should have 2 identical values in each box.

For instance, I have 1GB (2x512) of OCZ PC3200 Platinum Low Latency, the latency being 2-2-2-5. This is damn low which is great.
    My little box tells me I'm good for 3024. So these are the values in both my boxes.

To further this Tip of the Day, the best memory combination is (2 x 1G) for a total of 2G's. When you stack memorys say 3-4 dimms it robs the MB & Power Supply of precious power and this contributes to slowdown.
    So thats why you see 600-800 watt power supplies for gaming maniacs who have 4G's of memory (1 x 1G) in all 4 dimm slots

Last edited by Aerialist; 05-27-2006 at 06:51 AM.

2001 Pewter SS

Tip Of The Day

Lets do some more msconfig.

Go to start open RUN type msconfig ... click ok

Click the Services tab

These are all the major programs that Windows is working in nanoseconds.
    This is known as artificial Intelligence.

Rule number 1
    Never ... I mean never .. f*uck with this.

I only know of one pro who has manipulated this to gain lightening speeds in computing as this is the best way in overclocking.
    His name is BlackViper and I did everything I was told to do and still f*ucked my Windows up so badly I had to reformat and reinstall my XP.

The services are intertwined so if you make one mistake you literally lobotomize the OS.

Now click cancel and exit.

Have a nice day.

DisCrete
    Click advanced.
    Click the advanced tab.

You are now blazing.

Curious, as to rather or not you know what they should change the min/max values to?

To gain the most benefit from doing so.

And in addition to his post, it's not just XP based systems it's all windows platforms

DisCrete
    Figure, if your going to teach people to mess with virt memory... you might want to give them the confines of doing so... for the sake of performance

DisCrete
    Lets do some more msconfig.

Go to start open RUN type msconfig ... click ok

Click the Services tab

These are all the major programs that Windows is working in nanoseconds.
    This is known as artificial Intelligence.

Rule number 1
    Never ... I mean never .. f*uck with this.

I only know of one pro who has manipulated this to gain lightening speeds in computing as this is the best way in overclocking.
    His name is BlackViper and I did everything I was told to do and still f*ucked my Windows up so badly I had to reformat and reinstall my XP.

The services are intertwined so if you make one mistake you literally lobotomize the OS.

Now click cancel and exit.

Have a nice day.

You don't have to be an expert here either.

You just have to know which services are windows services vs non windows services.

Generally if it's an EXE name that you do not recognize or are not sure what to do with it

don't fuck with it.

However this may also be a virus, or spyware program as they use erroneous files names for applications which leech your computers performance drastically, as well as your internet connection and exploits security vulnerabilitys inherrant to windows OS's.

An example of an EXE you should never fuck with... explorer.exe

And he's incorrect the services tab is how you enable and disable specific servies.

But to find out what current services you are running you have to goto the Task Manager (hit CRTL + ALT + DEL) and goto the processes tab. This is a list of programs/AI as he puts it that runs continuously in the background of your computer without you knowing most of the time. These are also the list of services you currently have running. NOTE: TO OBTAIN THE HIGHEST PERFORMANCE LEVEL POSSIBLE THE LESS THERE IS IN THIS LIST THE FASTER, AND MORE EFFICIENT YOUR WINDOWS ENVIRONMENT WILL BE.

As for the virtual memory post: The only differences you will notice if any will be in large amounts of CPU crunching example: a game.

The virtual memory does help utilize your computers RAM more effectively and allows it to use more towards a demanding application such as a game or 3D render software.

Changing the virtual memory is what people do to increase or decrease their PAGEFILE.SYS or SWAPFILE.SYS depending on the OS The purpose of sucha a file stores large amounts of data in a specific file... how does this effect performance? A game for example can use anywhere from 200MB - 1.5 GB of information at one time. It's harder on the CPU to seek out information on the harddrive in different locations... than it is to load all the complex info into 1 file... thus decreasing CPU process time.. as it does not have to search the entire harddrive for specific information when it's stored in 1 file. Think of a Swapfile.sys, or pagefile.sys as a cache file where most common files/information are stored temporarily for faster access by the CPU/Computer Hardware. NOTE: Optimal performance setting for virutal memory would be a min size of at least 50% increase of your ram equivalent and no more than 3 times your ram equivalent. My computer for example has 1024MB of RAM, so my min value is 1536 while my max value is no higher than 3072. (This will use harddrive space also.) Make sure you have the HD space to spare before you fux with this setting. Not having enough space can cause severe performance issues and make things actually worse than they were before.

Back to the original quote about services/processes:

An example of one such service is: svchost.exe

This is a windows system file and shutting this down can crash your computer or cause it to reboot after a certain time... there was also a worm program which exploited the shutting down of windows service files like this... and would cause computers to shut down after 45 seconds

Those of us familiar with this worm program know it as "Blaster Worm" which exploited a security entry vulnerability in effected windows systems and would shut down a service file such as the one I just mentioned causing the computer to not necessarily crash but to shut down continuously until the worm program was removed.

Another file you do not want to mess with... that has a common name and can mis-lead a typical user to shutting it down is: Explorer.exe

This is NOT internet explorer.

This is a windows system file window needs to run desktop TSR programs... exmaple: Taskbar, and icons in the taskbar, or even icons on the desktop.

Shutting this down will look like your computer is crashing and you will see nothing but a blank desktop.

However, if you should happen to shut this down by accident... you can recover from this quite simply, by pressing CTRL + ALT + DEL to bring up the task manager again

goto FILE goto NEW TASK/RUN and type explorer.exe and hit ok

this will restore you desktop with the exception of a few taskbar icons.. which will be reloaded when you reboot your computer.

All in all he is correct, there are specific services you can and can't shut down to gain performance and processing power form your CPU and memory management sytem.

Just understanding the difference between system files and non system files is the #1 key to no fuxin shit up.

There are websites you can search out to verify rather an EXE/service is windows dependent

I use google alot when I have to find out what an EXE file is to windows or if it's important or not.

Hope this info clarifies this post a little better.
    Last edited by DisCrete; 05-27-2006 at 01:12 PM.

2001 Pewter SS

Quote Originally Posted by DisCrete
    Curious, as to rather or not you know what they should change the min/max values to?

To gain the most benefit from doing so.

And in addition to his post, it's not just XP based systems it's all windows platforms
    Yes the XP info is for those who never got into OS manipulation and you should never really do it unless someone informed is showing you the trix.

Typically, you should have a *currently allocated* that informs you of your maximum .. I made a typo in my settings .. its 3072.
    I should be able to go to 3200 as this is the the size of of my RAM.
    But obviously its actual speed is 3072 so everyones may vary.

You may go lower than your allocation (min./max.) and even higher if your cach'g in your hardrive is 8mb (most HD's) and 16mb (newer satas).
    I'm still using a maxtor 40gb with 2mb cach'g (with a sata adapter) mainly because its absolutely quiet and I can't stand hardrive racket.

Now if you have say an ASUS 800 series motherboard that has overclocking abilities you may adjust these values higher but you would be risking component failure so always research *overclocking* forums for the most ideal setup.

I'm using an Intel D865GLC MB with no overclocking abilities so I'm always safe in playing with other *speedster* denomonations.

Currently I have a Thermalright XP-120 with a Panaflo 120mm x 38mm sitting on a Prescott 2.8 and I'm still at 118 degress at idle (in the summer) but it doesn't get much higher so I'm ok but my fan is almost turned up all the way via a zalman fanmate 2 and makes more racket than a disturbed hornets nest.

Of course my 'ol Gateway Stingray with an all metal case made for a P111 doesn't help with the heat.

I'm getting ready to buy a Zalman Reserator 1 Plus watercooling so I'll keep you updated as to how that worked out.
    I'll probably go ahead and max out to at least a 3.4Ghz/1M/800 for my 478 before I go on to a D900 dual Core 775.

Of course that will be exciting!

2001 Pewter SS

You don't have to be an expert here either.

You just have to know which services are windows services vs non windows services.

Generally if it's an EXE name that you do not recognize or are not sure what to do with it

don't fuck with it.

However this may also be a virus, or spyware program as they use erroneous files names for applications which leech your computers performance drastically, as well as your internet connection and exploits security vulnerabilitys inherrant to windows OS's.

An example of an EXE you should never fuck with... explorer.exe

And he's incorrect the services tab is how you enable and disable specific servies.

But to find out what current services you are running you have to goto the Task Manager (hit CRTL + ALT + DEL) and goto the processes tab. This is a list of programs/AI as he puts it that runs continuously in the background of your computer without you knowing most of the time. These are also the list of services you currently have running.

An example of one such service is: svchost.exe

This is a windows system file and shutting this down can crash your computer or cause it to reboot after a certain time... there was also a worm program which exploited the shutting down of windows service files like this... and would cause computers to shut down after 45 seconds

Those of us familiar with this worm program know it as "Blaster Worm" which exploited a security entry vulnerability in effected windows systems and would shut down a service file such as the one I just mentioned causing the computer to not necessarily crash but to shut down continuously until the worm program was removed.

Another file you do not want to mess with... that has a common name and can mis-lead a typical user to shutting it down is: Explorer.exe

This is NOT internet explorer.

This is a windows system file window needs to run desktop TSR programs... exmaple: Taskbar, and icons in the taskbar, or even icons on the desktop.

Shutting this down will look like your computer is crashing and you will see nothing but a blank desktop.

However, if you should happen to shut this down by accident... you can recover from this quite simply, by pressing CTRL + ALT + DEL to bring up the task manager again

goto FILE goto NEW TASK/RUN and type explorer.exe and hit ok

this will restore you desktop with the exception of a few taskbar icons.. which will be reloaded when you reboot your computer.

All in all he is correct, there are specific services you can and can't shut down to gain performance and processing power form your CPU and memory management sytem.

Just understanding the difference between system files and non system files is the #1 key to no fuxin shit up.

There are websites you can search out to verify rather an EXE/service is windows dependent

I use google alot when I have to find out what an EXE file is to windows or if it's important or not.

Hope this info clarifies this post a little better.
    Yes exactly.
    Thanks for the ADD-ins.

However if you are really curious go ahead and try it.
    I have never successfully accomplished this so I've pretty much given up.

If you have a burning desire to try this just be sure you have all of your files backed up.

In fact buy yourself another HD to practice.

DisCrete
    I'm running a P4 3.06 ghz upgrading ram soon and video card... however

P4 prescott as well 800FSB, Upgrading to a 1066 bus and might get a new CPU so i can utilize that bus speed soon.

in either case suprised your comp runs that hot

mine only runs about 95 degrees F idle and 120-130 under heavy load.. (hehe while I'm gaming)

2001 Pewter SS

I'm running a P4 3.06 ghz upgrading ram soon and video card... however

P4 prescott as well 800FSB, Upgrading to a 1066 bus and might get a new CPU so i can utilize that bus speed soon.

in either case suprised your comp runs that hot

mine only runs about 95 degrees F idle and 120-130 under heavy load.. (hehe while I'm gaming)

Nice.

Yes big P4's are more expensive than 775 now and you can expect to pay over 5 bills for a 3.4/2M/800 (EE) which will be the badddest.
    Of course expect to 6Gigs with overclocking!!!!!!

Well I run really cool in the winter so I'm guessing it has to do with the properties of metal as opposed to aluminum.

I'm using the Asylum 5900 at performance level and 4X in both poperties and don't do much texturing.

I recently swapped from the Themalright XP-94 to the XP-120 and did get the 10 degree difference in cooling.

But I'm excited about the Reserator and can't wait for that one.

Then I'll try one of the Thermaltake Media Cases with the new 775/1066 and I'm liking the TaiChi. Man o man have you checked it out ... toally pro.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information