Yeah, That's right CaptainCaveMan's Avatar
    Mexican killed my car

Computer question

I've had my computer now for a couple years and i've never had to format it before, but i think i want to now. I've installed/uninstalled a shitload of programs on it and i think reformating it would give it a nice cleaning and let me start over.

The problem is, i have lost my boot disk that came with the computer. (The disk that has XP on it i guess). I still have the serial number for the XP program, i just can't find the disk. It's a dell computer, if that matters.

How do i go about starting my computer over? I don't need all the pre-installed Dell programs, but i would like it to be like it was when it was brand new. I thought about buying vista for it (the advisor says i can use Home Basic).

Any ideas?

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

If its a couple years old, I wouldn't run vista on it... Vista requires pretty high system specs.

As long as you have the serial number (CD-Key) you should be able to install it from any XP disc of the same build number.

Black
    2004 Z06

I believe you can call Dell and have them format & reinstall your XP online.

If not I have an XP Disk w SP2

Break me down your system components and I'll tell you how you will fare with Vista

Mexican killed my car

Quote Originally Posted by eddierox View Post
    I believe you can call Dell and have them format & reinstall your XP online.

If not I have an XP Disk w SP2

Break me down your system components and I'll tell you how you will fare with Vista
    3.4 Pentium 4 processor
    1 gig ram

I'm not sure where i can look up my video card specs

Black
    2004 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCaveMan View Post
    3.4 Pentium 4 processor
    1 gig ram

I'm not sure where i can look up my video card specs

Is the 3.4 in an Intel config? If so in 478 pin? also what are the specs on it?

i.e. 3.4/1M/800 ?

What exactly is the RAM? Specs?

Waht is the name and number of the motherboard.

Also Power Supply

Harddrive? Specs?

Video card my or may not be an issue ...

to be sure I need to see the Vista Advisor sheet you ran that shows the condition of your system.

I can give you exacting consultation based on this info ... it really is important to be satisified with Vista.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Z28 Convertible

3.4 Pentium and 1 gig of ram, you should be straight. Video card is an important part but if your pc came from dell with such a strong processor and so much ram I'd imagine it has a decent video card. System reccomendations are on the vista homepage. It varies by which version you purchase. I would be somewhat carefull of getting just an xp disc to reinstall yourstuff. Your orginal dell disc would have also had all of your device drivers on them and depending on what you use perhaps some propitery software that you can only get from dell. You can probally get all the device drivers from the net easy enough assuming you can get back online with just the xp disk. but you easiest fix to this if you dont care to upgrade to vista would probally be to just contat dell with your express service code on your pc and they can send you a replacement disc. Relativley cheap too if I'm not mistaken. but just my .02 Sorry for the poor typing It's sorta late and I'm sorta buzzed

Black
    2004 Z06

The Dell's are proprietary yes .. but when you format the HD to zero out you may install and run anything you want ... however the HD will have a little boot record at startup which is cool because it will ask you if you want to run Vista or XP ... so you can have both OS on your HD given it has a big capacity because Vista page files enormously ...

Yes you should be ok with the 3.4 & 1G but it needs to be fast and stable ... Intel boards don't clock which may help out in Vista unless your in PCI SLI which in case the numerous chips come to play sucj as the XBX2.

Stryker is the way to go.

As far as the video card ... I highly recommned the DDR3 Nvidias or bigger ATI's .. but everyone goes nVidia in Vista and the 8800 (pci sli only ) is the popular card ... damn big bucks though ..

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Z28 Convertible

Eddie you seem to be pretty technically inclined, hobbyist or you do it profesinally somehow?

Black
    2004 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    Eddie you seem to be pretty technically inclined, hobbyist or you do it profesinally somehow?

I'm System Admin by profession and Sytem Builder as a hobby .. but it's not really a hobby given the serious nature of it ... so it's a profession also .. I love it ..

Mexican killed my car

Is the 3.4 in an Intel config? If so in 478 pin? also what are the specs on it?

i.e. 3.4/1M/800 ?

What exactly is the RAM? Specs?

Waht is the name and number of the motherboard.

Also Power Supply

Harddrive? Specs?

Video card my or may not be an issue ...

to be sure I need to see the Vista Advisor sheet you ran that shows the condition of your system.

I can give you exacting consultation based on this info ... it really is important to be satisified with Vista.
    All i get when i run the advisor is:

CPU No action required Your computer's CPU is Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.40GHz

System memory (RAM) No action required Your computer has 1.00 GB of RAM.

DVD drive No action required Your computer can read DVDs.

DVD-RW drive No action required You can record DVDs on your computer.

Video card No action required Your current video card will support the Windows Aero™ user experience.
    I've been looking around here at the device manager to try to figure out the answers to some of those questions...

The video card appears to be a Radeon X800SE

I found something that says "ACPI Multiprocessor PC"

I'm not sure how to find the other stuff.

Love buying generic GM's Nastyfoot's Avatar

Black, Black
    2011 "Generic" Gasser

I'm System Admin by profession and Sytem Builder as a hobby .. but it's not really a hobby given the serious nature of it ... so it's a profession also .. I love it ..
    BillyT was something like that too! Do you too hang out with "Upper Middle class" friends?

Black
    2004 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Nastyfoot View Post
    BillyT was something like that too! Do you too hang out with "Upper Middle class" friends?
    No I didn't know BillyT too well ... but he did PM me when I tried to resurrect his status and where I invited him to come back ... he never gave a reason why he wouldn't .

Black
    2004 Z06

All i get when i run the advisor is:

I've been looking around here at the device manager to try to figure out the answers to some of those questions...

The video card appears to be a Radeon X800SE

I found something that says "ACPI Multiprocessor PC"

I'm not sure how to find the other stuff.
    You don't need to know the ACPI ... although it is an important part of the VIsta recognition and driver process it will it be there.

I'd say you're good to go with Vista ... I would only think about upgrading to at least 2 G's of memory just to be safe.

black
    1998 pontiac trans am

You don't need to know the ACPI ... although it is an important part of the VIsta recognition and driver process it will it be there.

I'd say you're good to go with Vista ... I would only think about upgrading to at least 2 G's of memory just to be safe.
    i ran a vista advisor on my laptop (hp pavilion dv2116wm) and it gave a few compatibility issues. the main one i was concerned with was my verizon access manager. i hook my verizon broadband phone to my laptop and log onto the net through my access manager. the advisor said it may have some compatibility issues with it so i didnt upgrade to vista.

Black
    2004 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by rbrtlux View Post
    i ran a vista advisor on my laptop (hp pavilion dv2116wm) and it gave a few compatibility issues. the main one i was concerned with was my verizon access manager. i hook my verizon broadband phone to my laptop and log onto the net through my access manager. the advisor said it may have some compatibility issues with it so i didnt upgrade to vista.
    I hear Vista has a problem with some wireless's ... try finding the driver through Verizon ...

black
    1998 pontiac trans am

I hear Vista has a problem with some wireless's ... try finding the driver through Verizon ...
    i had already done that back in jan. and there wasnt an upgrade yet. there might be now i'll have to check.

Black
    2004 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by rbrtlux View Post
    i had already done that back in jan. and there wasnt an upgrade yet. there might be now i'll have to check.
    cool .. I also notice that Vista update completely sucks .. I have changed almost every driver once Vista was installed ... so it's a shame manufactures haven't rushed to build thier Vista drivers ..

Mexican killed my car

How much is a G of memory?

Black
    2004 Z06

How much is a G of memory?

Depends on which one it is ... here is something else you need to know about memory ...

Todays CPU's even with XP like the (2 x 1G) modules as opposed to 4 x 512.

This is because they use less power and resources (Volts & Amps that rob other devices of their power)

2 x 1G modules usually cost about $175 and up for DDR 400 PC3200 because most people are still in AGP/PCI.

Ironically the bigger faster DDR 667 & up cost less !

I have a mixed 2 x 512 & 2 x 256 ... and currently I'm running my Vista on only 2 x 256 as I am awaiting my 2 x 512 from OCZ as I had to RMA them out after I popped my entire system when I tried to be smartass and genclock overclock it ...

It is barely hanging on but I have my Vista blazing because I have it dialed in.

Thread Information