Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Comp geeks in here

I need to hook up my xbox 360 to my cable modem to download shit from the net. Heres the problem. My internet so far is wireles access. I dont have a wireless router but i can pick up signals from qite far away so thats how i use my internet. Whenever i take my ethernet cable and plug it to my modem and the other end to my comp, it throws me offline. Whenever i look to c if there are wireless networks it says there are none. But if i restart the comp and take the cord out, it will find wireless signals by itself. ALL I NEED TO DO IS PLUG THE ETHERNET CABLE INTO MY 360 BUT ITS NOT LETTING ME GET A CONNECTION. Any1 done this b4? And do u have to have xbox live to do this? My subscription expired thats y i am asking.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

NO1 knows?? Come on guys

Black
    1999 Trans am

Sadly, you cannot use the Cat 5 cable from your computer to the XBOX360. Windows thinks that when the Cat 5 is plugged in it has a better connection type. The only way to get your XBOX 360 online is to go out and buy the Linksys wireless game adapter....

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...=2661900349B06

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

So... If I understand this correctly... You are paying for a cable service, and have a non-wireless router... but instead of using it, you are connecting wirelessly to someone elses connection to use the internet?

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by Knighthawk LS1 View Post
    Sadly, you cannot use the Cat 5 cable from your computer to the XBOX360. Windows thinks that when the Cat 5 is plugged in it has a better connection type. The only way to get your XBOX 360 online is to go out and buy the Linksys wireless game adapter....

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...=2661900349B06
    That's untrue. I use a Cat 5 cable to get my Xbox360 online.

Black
    1999 Trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    That's untrue. I use a Cat 5 cable to get my Xbox360 online.
    From the back end of your PC?

Basically using your Wireless internet connection (Wi-Fi card) then trying to eithernet connection to bridge off of that to connect another pc/game consol?

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

From the back end of your PC?

Basically using your Wireless internet connection (Wi-Fi card) then trying to eithernet connection to bridge off of that to connect another pc/game consol?
    Ah ok, the thread starter wasn't that clear so I didn't know we were talking about that. If it were properly configured it seems as though it would work. Obviously you'd need to use a crossover cable instead of a regular cat 5 since your going computer to (basically another) computer instead of router to pc... but I'm sure it would work... just need some tweaking.

Black
    1999 Trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    Ah ok, the thread starter wasn't that clear so I didn't know we were talking about that. If it were properly configured it seems as though it would work. Obviously you'd need to use a crossover cable instead of a regular cat 5 since your going computer to (basically another) computer instead of router to pc... but I'm sure it would work... just need some tweaking.
    True, however, for it to work (as far as i know) Windows has to be tweaked, of which i have no clue how to do, it maybe simple as a setting, but in the past with what i've tried, it will not work.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 Trans Am

Or..you could just get the wireless adapter for ur 360 and connect that way then you wont need any cords anyways

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by fccs View Post
    Or..you could just get the wireless adapter for ur 360 and connect that way then you wont need any cords anyways
    Yeah but my modem is like 5ft away. I just got a new plasma for my room so i am using it in there. Before i would be in the family room playing on the new LCD TV my brother gifted my mom for mothers day, before she threw me out. All she said was "Go to ur room, or go work on that car of your"

So whats the best thing to do here? How much does that wireless thing cost. If i really start using up my space on the 360 i can always upgrade to a bigger harddrive. OR i can buy a retractible harddrive for my laptop, and keep this one for school.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

i have a lynksis wireless router if that helps out the situation?

Black
    2001 TransAm WS6

still trying to figure out what the hell you are doing. First you say you dont have wireless and now your saying you do. You first post sounds like you dont have internet service at home but your able to pick up wireless signals (from other neighbors) and loggin onto their network. Answer my questions so i can help you out

1. Do you have internet access at home (meaning you or you parents pay for it)
    2. Is it cable/dsl internet or dial up (swear i dont know anyone with dial up but you never know as you keep saying modem and not cable modem)
    3. You need xbox live to play online/download what ever they have to offer (unless there is some hack out there that allows you to use the x-box in a way it wasnt meant to be used)
    4.What exactly are you trying to download, if you think that your just going to brows the net and just download stuff your mistaken.

Lets see what you have for answers

In short you can hook up the cat 5 cable from your x-box right to your cable modem and be online to play games (provided you have xbox live)
    You can also hook up the cable modem to the wireless router then the cat 5 from the router to the xbox.
    If you have a wireless router,cable/dsl modem you can also get the xbox 360 wireless adaptor that plugs right into the back of the xbox and will connect you to the internet with out wires (again provided you have cable/dsl and xbox live)

Black
    1999 Trans am

Quote Originally Posted by fccs View Post
    thats what i said

Black
    2001 TransAm WS6

oh and if your just using a wireless signal (from a neighbors house thats too dumb to encript the network) you can still use the wireless adaptor on the 360 and it will log onto whatever network it can access..

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

True, however, for it to work (as far as i know) Windows has to be tweaked, of which i have no clue how to do, it maybe simple as a setting, but in the past with what i've tried, it will not work.
    Given that it looks like this:

Internet<--phone line-->modem<----ethernet cable---->Computer 1<----crossover cable---->Computer 2

You would need to setup "Computer 1" as a proxy server using something like WinGate or the like for it to be able to share the connection with "Computer 2". However there are a few downsides to this... one is that Computer 1 needs to be turned on and have the proxy running to share/forward the connection to computer 2, another downside is that unless you know how to set up WinGate properly, or any proxy for that matter, you could leave your computer wide open for attacks from crackers.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

no the thing is i HAD a wireless router but my bro changed it for some reason. I still have it in my drawer. We have cable as well.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

and i dont have xbox live, so ill need to resubscribe

Thread Information