Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: clean gun?

Black
    2001 Ws6

clean gun?

Hey all I was at the range this friday with the wife we both 100 rounds. I have a P226 sig 40 cal wife has a HK P30 9mm. We always clean our guns after the range but alot came up so I cleaned them today and i noticed in both barrels there was still dirt lines I guess so brushed it with the kit i have and oil a few times it looks better but not like before I have fired my sig way over 1000 rounds and the barrel always looked like black glass after I clean but not this time so anyone can help me out on how to get the black glass look and clean barrel...

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Name: Bro
    Story: Cool

Black
    2001 Ws6

ummmmmmmmmm no idea where you are going with that....

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

its iroc....ignore him.

i do a lot of shooting, i think i know what youre talking about...you prob wont get it back, but if i were you, id look for some aggressive cleaners, or use big patches that fit as tight as you can....try to buff it down some.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Why are you using metal brushes? Are you guys firing solid lead? If you're firing full metal jackets only then I'd do as Spikito says. You don't need to brush it out everytime unless there are serious deposits happening..
    Last edited by Smittro; 12-08-2009 at 08:36 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    its iroc....ignore him.

i do a lot of shooting, i think i know what youre talking about...you prob wont get it back, but if i were you, id look for some aggressive cleaners, or use big patches that fit as tight as you can....try to buff it down some.

I agree but dont think patches will do it.. Bore brush and tons of work... Make sure to pull the bore brush the way the round travels. Black gloss??? Must if not all of my guns are chrome lined. When I look down any of the barrels it makes it very easy to see if there is dirt or crap still in them...

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Why are you using metal brushes? Are you guys firing solid lead? If you're firing full metal jackets only then I'd do as Spikito says. You don't need to brush it out everytime unless there are serious deposits happening..

I agree I dont use them often... But for the stubborn to remove deposits.

Black
    2001 Ws6

we fire range rounds I get 100 for like $17 I also use 180 grain. I will re-clean with the brush and hope for the best what is a great gun kit or are all kits pretty much the same and the lines are deposits for sure.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Quote Originally Posted by War Theory View Post
    we fire range rounds I get 100 for like $17 I also use 180 grain. I will re-clean with the brush and hope for the best what is a great gun kit or are all kits pretty much the same and the lines are deposits for sure.
    where in the HELL are you getting ammo that cheap....i cant even get 22LR for that

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

well the main 2 guns i shoot are my RRA .223, and my M44....the M44 uses corrosive ammo, so i have to clean the shit out of it each time.

my .223, has a heavy match stainless 20" barrel. its rather pricey, I try to make sure and do a good job. i dont want any pitting.

the tolerances are too tight for any .223 stuff to work in it, but .22 bore brushes are a little loose, so i use that foam that melts out the copper, it goes in white, comes out blue. then run the brush through a few times to break stuff loose, then i get pretty agressive with solvents and patches till they run clean, then oil it up.

but on the M44....its a 7.62 so i use a 30 cal brush, fits tight. i run it through about 3 times after the copper foam.

Black
    2001 Ws6

where in the HELL are you getting ammo that cheap....i cant even get 22LR for that
    I got a friend and I buy in bulk I do about 500 rounds when I run low. I can give you his number he is loc tenn.

Black
    2001 Ws6

well the main 2 guns i shoot are my RRA .223, and my M44....the M44 uses corrosive ammo, so i have to clean the shit out of it each time.

my .223, has a heavy match stainless 20" barrel. its rather pricey, I try to make sure and do a good job. i dont want any pitting.

but on the M44....its a 7.62 so i use a 30 cal brush, fits tight. i run it through about 3 times after the copper foam.
    I have the copper brush I guess and I really go to town when I clean but I think I waited to long and I hope i didn't fuck up my sig =0(

Black
    2001 Ws6

i have a 19. some drill is I hook up the brush to it and run it in the barrel would that help or make it worse?

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Somebody asked if you were using lead bullets. If you are using swaged lead (softer) then this IS lead build up. If they are hard cast lead, then it COULD be lead build up. In either case, a lot of scrubbing is needed, along with stronger solvents than just the standard Hoppe's #9. One way to speed up the process - but only on a service grade gun - is to fire some jacketed bullets through it before you clean it. The lands and grooves will be "forcibly" cleaned by the copper jacketed projectile....somewhat.

I've found that wadding polish works well on chrome lined barrels. You can't "thread" it through a bore swab end, but you can push it through. Give that a try and see what it does.

100 rounds for $17 sounds like lead to me. These days you would be hard-pressed to buy 100 jacketed projectiles to LOAD for that.

Good luck.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Otis makes a great kit. Pricey, but high quality. Hoppe's makes good solvents, and #9 is the standard for the gun world. They make stronger solvents (like Hoppe's 9 Bench Rest) for lead and copper fouling too. RemClean is good too, and RemOil is a good "light" oil for use as a rust inhibitor.

There are numerous other types of solvents and oils that will work (hell, even 3in1 oil is fine), but for someone who shoots modestly, a Hoppe's Cleaning Kit will fit the bill and can be had about anywhere. If you want to use some popular LS1.com brands of oil, Lucas and Royal Purple also make gun oil!
    Last edited by jad628; 12-09-2009 at 04:12 AM.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

i have a 19. some drill is I hook up the brush to it and run it in the barrel would that help or make it worse?

Do not use a drill. You need to have a cleaning handle that TURNS freely, this causes the brush to follow the twist of the rifling. You need the right solvent and brush, not power.

Black
    2001 Ws6

this is what i use when i go to the range i heard they where good range rounds let me know.

This is for protection

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Rem UMC stuff is okay for range. They're copper-jacketed which I'm surprised you are getting for that price.

The carry rounds look like they are good choices. It's always a good idea to keep your "practice" and "carry" ammo in the same weight (180 gr. for example) and fps range, so the ballistics are similar.

I carry a Law Enforcement Only Winchester load, but then again I'm REQUIRED to.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

I got a friend and I buy in bulk I do about 500 rounds when I run low. I can give you his number he is loc tenn.
    yeah thatd be nice....ill prob be buying some after the holidays

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

I use Hoppes Elite Bore Cleaner. Swab down the bore and let it set for a couple of hours and repeat. It's a non toxic and non stinky bore cleaner too. You sig will be fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information