Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Christmas gifts for spouses

So normally we try to balance out what we give each other so there's no "competition". Kids are always the priority because we feel we can get what we want anytime we want throughout the year.

So this year since summer I've been going all out trying to get the parts and shop fees for my rebuild. She has been "ok" with most of it and not given me too much grief over it because I stopped in OCT for Christmas gift shopping. So the topic of Christmas ideas comes up and I give her a very short specific list with one or two items I didn't think she would go for. Something nice, but don't need at the moment, most of it is stuff to finish my parts list off. Yes gave her exact web addresses to be able to order correctly.

Anyways since she's been a good sport about it all, so I went big, really big for her. She's wanted a nice camera for a few yrs now and Best Buy had a great deal on the Cannon Rebel 3I so I got it along with the zoom lens and goodies bag. She does know of the big purchase (but not what it is) and has been hounding me about it. I told her to not to worry, it's not car parts...etc. She knows it's for her and she's a little upset because I spent something that high when we agree not to get something this high for each other. Kids have been taken care of so I'm not worried about cutting something from them. I'm playing it off but I know she feels a little guilty because my list came to $130 vs her $500 gift.

She also knows that come Jan 1st all stops are pulled and it's engine building time so I don't feel too guilty getting her this.

Also she "got" me a GoPro White that is for me but I was there while it was bought, so I don't count it as a "gift", I have to wait till Chirstmas to play with it....

So, how ya'll deal with this subject?

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

my wife always comes first...I usually out spend her by a pretty decent amount because I want to. We've had arguments/disagreements about the amount we spend on each other...for instance, I bought her a $900 laptop like 2 years ago for christmas and told her not to get me anything...she did end up getting me something, but no where near what I got for her because of the conversation we had. I really dont care about receiving gifts...I like to give them.

With that said...the last few years I have bought myself some pretty big items as "gifts to myself" 2 years ago I bought my truck like the week before christmas...I bought a 60inch plasma last year around the same time...trans am this year...

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Pretty much just what you said. "I know we've been spending a lot of money on my wants, so I wanted to gt you something nice."

Not to thread jack but I've been thinking about getting my wife a camera for Christmas. What is a nice point and shoot?

Navy Blue Metallic

I would say she's beyond the simple digital camera's so that's why I went with the Rebel. It has a ton of features that beginners will like to use and learn with but not so much that it overwhelms you. Plus Cannon has a ton of videos online to help with tutorials.

Cannon and Nikon are the best in cameras for non-professionals.

Sony had a decent one for a bit less but it didn't have much in lenses. Very limited accessories.

Black / White

Im a canon guy...period. The canon elph's are some of the best point and shoots you can buy.

The T series in general is a great DSLR...whether you get a 2, 3, 4, etc just depends on whether you are a hobby person or pro.

'05 Harley - 21k m
    '98 Z28 black - 69k mi

I've use the Canon T3i to capture all the photos (birds) that I share on this site.

This year we scrounged and scrounged - we are going to Florida just after Christmas, triplets high school marching band accepted invite to march in Parade at Disney, parents can ride in the 4th charter bus at group rates .... Cost me $5,275.00 to get all five of us in on this trip... 19days and counting
    Last edited by LimeNine; 12-10-2013 at 07:53 PM.

Navy Blue Metallic

Lime - I was going to ask you what camera you used. Your pics are awesome, now I know I got a good camera for her. I may even play with it now.

Black / White

All taken with a T1...the lens and filters vary...these are also edited by myself so this is not necessarily how they looked when they were first shot. Some were extreme editing, others were just changing brightness etc...all of the moon shots were taken with a 300mm lens on a tripod.

Last edited by theorangeguy; 12-11-2013 at 11:51 AM.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

I'm thinking about this one

Canon SX510 HS review | Cameralabs

black
    1998 Camaro Z/28

Once our son is taken care of, we try and set a limit and also try to keep it even. However, sometimes we do not balance out. Last year I spent $300 more on her than she did me. This year I got her a Columbia Jacket, with matching hat, Under Armour sneakers and she got me another Tactical Shotgun.

'05 Harley - 21k m
    '98 Z28 black - 69k mi

Nice photos "orange guy"

Wanna see some Coopers Hawk?

'05 Harley - 21k m
    '98 Z28 black - 69k mi

Coopers Hawk 12-11-13

'05 Harley - 21k m
    '98 Z28 black - 69k mi

Coopers Hawk 12-12-13, near Dayton Ohio

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I need a better camera...

What were we talking about in here?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'm confused....is this a camera thread or a xmas gift thread? We have 2-3 good cameras......and have taken 10x more pictures with our phones. Me and the wife really don't get each other anything for xmas....maybe 1 little thing just so we have something to open with the kids. I get more excitement out of watching the kids open their stuff than I do when I get something. We buy ourselves plenty of stuff through the year.....xmas is about the kids for us. I think I'm going to sneak out and get my wife another curio cabinet. She HAD a nice one up until about a week ago when Pickle knocked the front glass out of it. Fortunately it was on her watch so I didn't have to hear about it. Other than that though I probably won't get her anything else and she'll probably get me some little thing to open that I need.....last year it was new chains for my chainsaw.

Black / White

I dont shoot many birds...I do a lot of animals though. These are all from our last trip to Gatlinburg...we go up there all the time. The black bears are in a spot I always go to on the way to Clingman's Dome. They are always on the side of the road under some berry tree's digging in the dirt...

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I'm confused....is this a camera thread or a xmas gift thread? We have 2-3 good cameras......and have taken 10x more pictures with our phones. Me and the wife really don't get each other anything for xmas....maybe 1 little thing just so we have something to open with the kids. I get more excitement out of watching the kids open their stuff than I do when I get something. We buy ourselves plenty of stuff through the year.....xmas is about the kids for us. I think I'm going to sneak out and get my wife another curio cabinet. She HAD a nice one up until about a week ago when Pickle knocked the front glass out of it. Fortunately it was on her watch so I didn't have to hear about it. Other than that though I probably won't get her anything else and she'll probably get me some little thing to open that I need.....last year it was new chains for my chainsaw.
    It got Orion...

Why not just replace the glass?

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post
    Click for full size

Perfect shot......and I don't mean for a camera....

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Perfect shot......and I don't mean for a camera....
    yea...If I had my 30/30 he'd be on my wall.................
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information