Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Choosing a career

Hey guys

I've never really been someone who has had clear goals, knowing what I want to do/be/etc. Right now I'm in college for business administration, but I hate it. I am not interested in it at all.

I want to do something involving cars, honestly. I'm interested in them and I want to turn it into a career, but a GOOD career. I want to work for a company like GM, i don't want to just own a garage or something. Maybe research and development or something. Designing vehichles, testing them, drafting them. I'm interested in mechanics, physics, CAD diagragms and stuff. Seeing a concept or plan come into something physical and functional.

I'm only on my second semester of college so changing is no big deal. What should I major in? I was thinking mechanical engineering but I'm not completely sure what's best.

Also, should I look into ASE certification?

What are some cool jobs involving vehicles and stuff like this?

Thanks for reading.

Miss Pennsylvania ls1blackbeauty98's Avatar

'98 Black Gone :(
    01 WS6 Midnight Blue

when i first read it i thought mechanical engineer, depending on exactly what aspect you want to be apart of the process of building a car. If you wanna work on designing the mechics of it id say engineer, if u wanna design what the car would look like some sort of design? im not sure i'm just trying to help point u in the right direction!

im glad u dont wanna work on cars, because thats not a profession i'd suggest to anyone. been around it to long to know all the angles, which alot of them arent great.

good luck!

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

You need to go for engineering and take all the CAD classes you can. Business Admin is lame I agree. I was doing that but I'm going for my A.S. in Building Construction now. Get your B.A. in Mechanical Engineering and work your ass off to get into a good company. Maybe you'll work up to be one of the chief engineers one day then you can do exactly what you described.

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

Fixing cars for other pepole sucks knowing how to fix your own car is sweet but pepole look down at you like your less of a person if you do it for a living i did for 5 years and peice work sucks if a job only pays 2 hours and it takes you 6 you only get paid for 2 it can go both ways but with the economy the way it is pepole tend to let car stuff go

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

i give you the most important piece of information ever given to me

"fuck what you like or want to do.unless it makes a lot of money" "Do whatever makes you money and then do the things you WANT to do as a hobby with all the money you earn"

luckly my major will fit that...and my minor..biz admin will help me get were i need to be..

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    i give you the most important piece of information ever given to me

"fuck what you like or want to do.unless it makes a lot of money" "Do whatever makes you money and then do the things you WANT to do as a hobby with all the money you earn"

luckly my major will fit that...and my minor..biz admin will help me get were i need to be..
    Respectfully disagree -- I started out majoring in mechanical engineering at GMI (now Kettering). I worked at Mack Trucks and although I have a true love of all things mechanical... it just wasn't for me. I still remember telling my parents the night before I was scheduled to go back to start my second year that I wanted to withdraw and re-enroll at another school. I then did a year undeclared, tried some different courses, and fell into criminal justice. That lead to law school and a job that I truly enjoy. Moral of the story: Do what makes you happy. Not because it's what others want you to do, or what you think you should be doing. Life is just too damn short.
    Last edited by pajeff02; 04-17-2009 at 04:31 AM.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Respectfully disagree -- I started out majoring in mechanical engineering at GMI (now Kettering). I worked at Mack Trucks and although I have a true love of all things mechanical... it just wasn't for me. I still remember telling my parents the night before I was scheduled to go back to start my second semester that I wanted to withdraw and re-enroll at another school. I then did a year undeclared, tried some different courses, and fell into criminal justice. That lead to law school and a job that I truly enjoy. Moral of the story: Do what makes you happy. Not because it's what others want you to do, or what you think you should be doing. Life is just too damn short.
    Damn right. If you do what you love to do, and do it RIGHT. 9 times out of 10 you will make good money. The key thing is doing it RIGHT and doing it to near perfection. I disagree with doing what makes you good money and hating it 100%. Shady, I dont think you have any idea what its like to hate your job, but still make good money. I do. It sucks. I HAVE MY HOBBY. I pay good money for it, with the money I make at my good paying job. But you know what, I really dislike getting up every morning and starting my day. I dread it.

If living life, knowing today could be worse then yesterday... (BUT you make good money), is worth it to you then go for it. If thats the most important information ever given to you, well, I hope it does you good. But that is more than likely going against what many people are told. Your job is going to be half of your life more then likely. If you hate your job, you hate your life.... well at least half of it. Doesnt matter how good you hobbies are going.
    Last edited by Hi-Po; 04-16-2009 at 04:05 PM.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

ROTC in some branch, as an engineer, i quickly learned I did not want to do what I majored in, and with the economy the way it is now, getting a job let alone starting a business is very hard

all i know is i have a 50K job waiting for me when i graduate in 1.5 yrs

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    "Do whatever makes you money and then do the things you WANT to do as a hobby with all the money you earn"
    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Respectfully disagree -- Do what makes you happy. Not because it's what others want you to do, or what you think you should be doing. Life is just too damn short.
    Sage advice from both ...

It's been my experience, careers find people and not the other way 'round.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

start putting your spare change in a cookie jar.....you'll be able to buy GM in a few months at the rate they're going and be CEO.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I helped my father work on cars when I was around 2 years old. I used to hand my father the tools to change oil. I took a high school course on auto care and repair. Took engines from lawn mowers, mopeds, cars and took them apart. I am now a tire installer/mechanic assistant. Been doing it for over 13 years. Even though I am making close to 33k a year I can't complain. I have pretty good benefits and a yearly review/raise. I am not a greedy man, but it is good to be able to pay for things I want by myself. If folks want to look down on me, so be it. BUT, the way I look at things, the folks who look down on me MOST LIKELY just drive their vehicles without thinking about what will happen when things go wrong.

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

You can do whatever you want.

Just remember not to work for money; have your money work for you.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

ha, you're always going to have to work for money

military is a very good path for some people, but not all

i was in almost the same shoes as you...but jobs desinging cars are pretty hard to come by unless you are top of your class and come from a good school. I ended up doing chemical engineering and enjoy it most of the time. I am a project manager/ equipment engineer at a pharmaceutical company. I get to design wacky freaking pieces that cost a boatload (material cost mostly) and run multi million dollar projects. I get to mess around with equipment, do design, and get a decent salary, plus engineering is FAIRLY stable. Alot of kids are just too stupid to get through calculus/ engineering courses, so there will always be jobs around.

Moral: Go for what you will like, cause money CAN NOT buy happiness.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Exactly^^^. If you hate your job. You will hate a good portion of your life.

Psycho Therapist
    I take "the" out of

With the way the Auto business is, I would not be pushing to make a career in it. Money isn't everything. And the more money you make most likely the more money you will spend. Life is to short to be in a job that is miserable, but on the other hand you do need money to live. I would suggest looking into a type of trade. Something with some job seceruty, Any type of law enforcement or government job (non contracted) can give that to you. If you have a needed trade, then the company you are working for might go under, but you will still have that trade.

Sebring Silver
    1999 Camaro Z28

I'm nearly 35 years old with 16 years in the Air Force, 4 years from retirement, doing network administration as a "Manager" and I absolutely HATE
    going to work everyday. This job is running me down quick and I am struggling with the thought of how I am going to make it another 4 years. Just unhappy and often find myself thinking how many people feel the same about their job or admiring those that have jobs they are happy with and are enjoying life.

Right now, I'd be happy with a job as a Walmart greeter.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

whatever you do, dont pursue the auto repair business thinking that because you love cars it'll be peaches and cream. The repair business is soo freakin political first off, second they dont pay you just cause you love workin on a car, they pay you what they wanna pay you per job. Inotherwords if you get a warranty complaint that takes 2 days to figure out but the manufacturer says were only paying you 2 hours. you're getting 2 hours for the job. Its not like a salaried job where it doesnt make a fuckin difference either way you are making money. Because of this, you wanna get a lot of cash jobs. Well guess what, the young guys dont get a lot of cash work. Then just wait till they want ya to stay late and you aren't making any "hours". Now your dumbass is working for free. In addition to gettting fucked up the ass on warranty, the service advisors and managers bury in ya too. Then they go home at 530 knowing either way they are getting 60k to 100k or more. God forbid you stand up for yourself and not take any shit, now you aren't a team player and you are "tough to deal with". Yes I'm 26 and totally ready to change careers. I regret every minute of being a mechanic. Don't even get me started on customers that want everything for free.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    I helped my father work on cars when I was around 2 years old. I used to hand my father the tools to change oil. I took a high school course on auto care and repair. Took engines from lawn mowers, mopeds, cars and took them apart. I am now a tire installer/mechanic assistant. Been doing it for over 13 years. Even though I am making close to 33k a year I can't complain. I have pretty good benefits and a yearly review/raise. I am not a greedy man, but it is good to be able to pay for things I want by myself. If folks want to look down on me, so be it. BUT, the way I look at things, the folks who look down on me MOST LIKELY just drive their vehicles without thinking about what will happen when things go wrong.
    dude not for nothing, but it took 13 yrs to get to that point? jus wondering...

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

you are absolutely right 310.i worked at a ford dealership for ten years,ever since high school most of those years as a tech,and the thing that i couldn't figure out was why there so few "car guys".the salesmen i worked with could sell cars but didn't give a damn about racing or fast mustangs,matter of fact one young salesman(about 26)told me i should grow up and sell my 92 mustang gt.when i transferred to service it was about the same,out of 25 techs only 2 had any interest in motorsports.so in 2005 when hyundai opened their plant i jumped at the oppurtunity and now i make 60k a year and don't come home with cut up hands and pissed because i worked all day and didn't make as many flat rate hours as i wanted to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information