Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

Cell Phone Gururs/nerds

I know I was gonna jump on the Droid band wagon but I'm gonna hold off for now. Don't have the money and still not sure about what my bill would run etc. I've had so many warranty Rizr Z6 TVs in 09 I have no faith in Motorola right now and if I want to get an Eris I might as well as be like every other trendy dork and get a crappy iPhone. Not saying the Eris sucks but IIRC it has about the same processor/speed as an iphone.
    I was looking into the Samsung Rogue. Has a good feed back rating on Verizon's site and many a good review for it.
    Just one question is 3G anybetter than the EV 1X? I thought the Rogue was a 3G phone but its not. Just wanting to get some straight answers as I'm availabe for the NE2 already and wanting to get away from this damn Rizr POS

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I would suggest you get one of these.

And they're built Ford tough.

Gray/ White

May I ask why?

Blue
    72 Chevelle, 2001 SS

EV-DO is 3G, basically. 1x is the basic CDMA. And yes, there is a huge difference in speed. If u don't have the money now for the droid, the new Google Nexus One is slated to hit Verizon in the first half of 2010. Might be worth waiting for.

Gray/ White

CDMA/PCS/1x, EV–DO, Rev
    Ok now I'm getting confused is this a 3G phone or not then? The picture looks like the screen shows EV 1X.

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

More android phones are coming out. Not sure what carrier they'll be...looks like the latest one Nexus One is on T-Mobile and also the upcoming backflip (although that's motorola as well). But I've had no issue with my droid but I understand when you get a sour grape it spoils it all for you.

Oh and to note...the Palm Pre and Palm pixie are now on verizon. If you're not stuck on verizon...maybe T-Mobile will work well in your area. Know anyone with T-mobile?

Blue
    72 Chevelle, 2001 SS

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/05/v...ngadget+Mobile)

And yes, I love love love my Droid.

If it was EV, then you're getting EV-DO (3G) if it's just 1x, then its just 1x.
    From my understanding, your EV-1x is indeed '3G'
    Last edited by korndawg; 01-11-2010 at 11:15 AM.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

No you may not.

Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post

May I ask why?

Blue
    72 Chevelle, 2001 SS

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    I would suggest you get one of these.

Click for full size

And they're built Ford tough.
    Nothing wrong with a Zack Morris phone.

Gray/ White

Quote Originally Posted by ntimid8r View Post
    More android phones are coming out. Not sure what carrier they'll be...looks like the latest one Nexus One is on T-Mobile and also the upcoming backflip (although that's motorola as well). But I've had no issue with my droid but I understand when you get a sour grape it spoils it all for you.

Oh and to note...the Palm Pre and Palm pixie are now on verizon. If you're not stuck on verizon...maybe T-Mobile will work well in your area. Know anyone with T-mobile?
    GF hated T Mobile. Though the Hobbit seems happy. I've had a decent experience with Verizon don't want to pay extra with AT&T for the same plan. (guess everyone gets to pay for the iPhone)
    My brother said he's switching to T Mobile when his wife's contract is up since he's tired of somehow always going over and paying out the ass for it.

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

Some info on cdma2000 (aka 1x & EV-DO) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cdma2000

But in short...cdma2000 is designed within 3G standards.

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

GF hated T Mobile. Though the Hobbit seems happy. I've had a decent experience with Verizon don't want to pay extra with AT&T for the same plan. (guess everyone gets to pay for the iPhone)
    My brother said he's switching to T Mobile when his wife's contract is up since he's tired of somehow always going over and paying out the ass for it.
    That's why I ask about what works in your area. One carrier will usually work better than others due to topographical hurdles. If it's a toss up between T-Mobile and Verizon...as far as how well you think they perform in your area...T-Mobile is cheaper per month. But traveling...you may prefer Verizon as they have better coverage in the U.S.

Google plans on selling phones directly...unlocked. Although you'll be paying full price of course. Walmart, as far as I know, plans on becoming their own network carrier sometime this year. iPhone is a good phone, just the network their on is spotty. Apple's exclusive contract with AT&T expires very soon...no word out on what's going on with that. New things to come from Apple this year as well. Many possibilities are coming about.

Gray/ White

Grrr why don't they just put 3G on the site

Damn live help on the site. It'd be 20 bucks for a Rogue today

Blue
    72 Chevelle, 2001 SS

If i were u, and are willing to wait, i'd give it till spring to see whats out. There are still rumors of the iphone going to Verizon and add the Nexus One on top of that, the patient one's may be rewarded. However, I don't have any complaints on my Droid and I will not have any kinda of buyer's remorse for being an early adopter of it.

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

Grrr why don't they just put 3G on the site

Damn live help on the site. It'd be 20 bucks for a Rogue today
    You expect things to be easy??

Gray/ White

Quote Originally Posted by korndawg View Post
    If i were u, and are willing to wait, i'd give it till spring to see whats out. There are still rumors of the iphone going to Verizon and add the Nexus One on top of that, the patient one's may be rewarded. However, I don't have any complaints on my Droid and I will not have any kinda of buyer's remorse for being an early adopter of it.
    I can't really justify buying a phone like a Droid though not sure I can justify a Rogue either

Blue
    72 Chevelle, 2001 SS

To hell with 'justifications'! Just do it

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by korndawg View Post
    To hell with 'justifications'! Just do it

With cell phones or any new technology....you have to be prepared to ride the rollercoaster. But the Droid has been very solid so far and is only getting better. They're getting the new Android OS 2.5 soon....the same OS the Nexus One is coming out with. That's the nice thing with the Android phones...they're open source and have google pushing everything. Apple likes to stay secretive and have full control over their device. It works well but also puts them behind the curve....IMO.

Blue
    72 Chevelle, 2001 SS

Quote Originally Posted by ntimid8r View Post

With cell phones or any new technology....you have to be prepared to ride the rollercoaster. But the Droid has been very solid so far and is only getting better. They're getting the new Android OS 2.5 soon....the same OS the Nexus One is coming out with. That's the nice thing with the Android phones...they're open source and have google pushing everything. Apple likes to stay secretive and have full control over their device. It works well but also puts them behind the curve....IMO.
    It's 2.1 And I agree with everything else. Android is awesome and here to stay.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

Nexus One is coming to VZW soon. If you are this confused now I suggest you read, learn and become acclimated to the wireless landscape. Then when the Nexus One is released the choice will be clear. You will get yourself a Nexus One and enjoy it immensely.

Nexus One =

Best screen on the market
    Fastest CPU on the market
    Newest kid on the block

Think Droid minus the keyboard and you will get the idea. Nexus one has a better revision of the OS that's on droid, though the 2.1 version on the Nexus One is supposed to be coming to droid as well.

As for the eris having the iphone CPU.... not quite. The eris is using pretty much the same CPU that was in the HTC dream. the phone that launched the android platform on T-mobile last year. It's an ARM design but a pretty old one to say the least. It's a step down from the CPU in the Iphone to be sure.

As for the droid? It's running a 550Mhz ARM CortexA8 otherwise known as the CPU behind the iPhone 3GS. whereas the Nexus One is running a CortexA9 branded as "Snapdragon" and that is running at a cool 1Ghz!

I'll personally be looking to get whatever comes after Nexus One. I just got my droid and even though my upgrade date is in May I'm going to hold off till the next droid device comes out. lol by then they'll be running 1.6Ghz dual core chips that will make them more like netbooks than cellphones

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information