Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

98 Formula
    06 duramax

cat with ethics.....

I'm not a cat person......really can't stand the little bastards. I was bowhunting last year and found 3 little black kittens on the side of the road. Someone had just dumped them there because they weren't there the day before and whoever dumped them had also dumped a couple pieces of fried chicken for them to eat. I guess cats like fried chicken....who knew.
    I took them back to camp and one ran off I guess because it disappeared. I brought one home for the kids and another guy down there took another one home to his kids. We've had this thing a little over a year. Kids love it and it's a very outgoing cat as far as cats go. It gets on the table from time to time and I have to knock the shit out of it and then it avoids me for a couple weeks but then we're all good again and it's climbing up in my lap while I'm watching TV. Guess it has short term memory loss or something.
    Anyhow, this time of year since we live in the country the mice start showing up. This thing is a bad ass mouser. She stalks the whole house at night sitting by the dogs food bowl and shit like that waiting on a mouse. The problem is we have an ethical cat that practices catch and release. She'll catch the damn things and carry them around playing with them for a while and then turn them loose. Did it last night and it was loose in the kitchen. Fortunately for me there was a shoe nearby and I gave her an education on finishing a mouse off.
    Any tricks to get her to start killing them instead of just releasing them back into the wild? I told my wife if I see her let one more go the food bowl goes bye bye. I bet if she gets good and hungry she'll rethink her stance on mousing.

red
    95 Z28

Taking away her food bowl isnt the answer. The cat will not relate losing her food bowl to needing to eat or kill the mice. If she had any inclination to eat/kill them, she'd already be doing it. Taking away her food bowl will only starve her. She sees the mice as play toys, nothing else. My advice would be to seal up your house and put out some traps (even the humane live traps if you want)

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I agree. She won't correlate food loss with having to hunt for herself. At least not right away. She'd probably become ill first.

But, on the bright side, you don't have to clean up half eaten, gutted mice, rats, lizards or birds all over your property or inside your house like I do

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I offer (For 10 easy payments of $1000 plus shipping and handling) combat training for kitties! See Avatar for how hardcore they become!

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

all my outside cats do that for a while... they will play with a mouse they've caught for a little while... the next time i walk by them they have the head chewed off or else they'll eventually bring a half eaten mouse to me and drop it by my feet...

silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

my cat does not eat them... he plays with them till they die.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Orion it's a trick, don't fall for the Cat & Mouse ploy. The cat has made a deal with the mice. Mice need a warm home in the winter, cat needs to look like she's doing its job. So the cat plays around with them letting you think it is a good mouser then when you go to sleep she's watching the Oxygen channel & Snookie on your tv with her mouse buddies while they are drinking your beer.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I wouldn't eat a mouse either. Sounds like a smart cat.

slap your mama red
    1998 trans am

next time a mouse is caught kill it and let it taste the blood on it. she will eat all of them then. just cant get away from the taste of blood once youve tasted it. j/k but seriously

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    I offer (For 10 easy payments of $1000 plus shipping and handling) combat training for kitties! See Avatar for how hardcore they become!
    I had a good lol.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

you guys

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

buy a corn snake or red tail boa...

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

Spaz seems to eat just about everything on this planet...

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Hahaha you're all too funny.

If your cat is an indoor one, try putting up traps in places where she can't go. And if the other way around, vice versa.
    2014 Camaro: Check. 2SS: Check. 1LE: Check. 6 Speed manual? CHECK

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    buy a corn snake or red tail boa...
    why? Think she'd kill a snake? Oh.....you mean to turn loose in my house? I'd much rather have a mouse or two running loose vs a snake running loose.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrillakilla13 View Post
    Hahaha you're all too funny.

If your cat is an indoor one, try putting up traps in places where she can't go. And if the other way around, vice versa.
    thought about just putting out poison since she's not eating the damn things anyhow. With my luck she'd decide to eat one then though and keel over. The loss of the cat wouldn't bother me at all but it'd wreck the kids if she croaked.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Cats raised by humans haven't had the opportunity to have a momma cat teach them the kill stroke, which is to hold the prey by the neck till dead, either by severing a vein, breaking the neck or suffocation. To her it's a toy to chase. This is why she let's them go. A cat will chase anything that moves regardless of what it is. It's an ingrained thing.

While it's not as easy to do, a cat can be trained just like a dog. As she's an adult now I don't think you can teach her to kill what she considers a toy.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    While it's not as easy to do, a cat can be trained just like a dog.

no. cats are the most worthless shiftless disgusting filthy creatures ever domesticated by man.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    no. cats are the most worthless shiftless disgusting filthy creatures ever domesticated by man.
    I completely agree. Cats are some sorry fucking critters. Wish I would've just left this one in the woods to eventually become owl or coyote shit........and that's how I feel about a cat I consider to be a "good" cat.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I completely agree. Cats are some sorry fucking critters. Wish I would've just left this one in the woods to eventually become owl or coyote shit........and that's how I feel about a cat I consider to be a "good" cat.

Cats arent cool until you get to the ones weighing over 75lbs. But you cant keep those as awesome pets because they can kill you at will.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information