Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Career Curious

2011 Prius

Career Curious

I am 18 and a bit curious about possible careers. I think I am either going to go into law enforcement, but not sure. I am really good at computers, I love working on them as a hobby. But when I did it for money, I hated it. But I would still consider it, since it pays pretty good. But I been thinking about for shits and giggles give it a shot. Like a in between job, while I think and will look good on paper. I was thinking about becoming a car sales man, I seen a few wanted adds (VW Dealer and Toyota (No GM). Now my question how do you become and get into it, what do they look for? I just think it would be interesting, while I think truly about what I want. Plus I love cars, and this will give me a taste in another interest, real estate. I hear realators have an interesting and a decent paying job.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Considered going to a university?

2011 Prius

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    Considered going to a university?
    Yes and no, but not going to lie... School is not for me, I am not a book person. I have and am consider a tech like schools or professional certificates. I know I may not get as far, and make as much money. But you can still be just as successful.

But as far as LE... I been looking into the FHP.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Start your own business maybe?

2011 Prius

Quote Originally Posted by JHayesLS1 View Post
    Start your own business maybe?
    Been there done that, with computers. People don't want to pay and in this economy, in my area. There computers die, they go to the library... I played hell getting people to pay. I got to the point, if I did not get paid at the end of the job, I kept your shit... That does not go over very well.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Okay so computers failed. Why not trying buying a few cars for cheap, making a profit, building yourself up.

2011 Prius

Quote Originally Posted by JHayesLS1 View Post
    Okay so computers failed. Why not trying buying a few cars for cheap, making a profit, building yourself up.
    Essentially make my own dealer ship? That cost a bit of green to get into... Only way I can see doing that, is if I can get into the auctions? I don't know how I can make a decent penny of that. Good idea, maybe you can share more on the idea.

EDIT:
    I know a body shop guy, who I am friends with. If we could get a hold of a paint booth. We can paint the cars for cheap. Just throwing that out there.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by SHines-IT View Post
    I am 18 and a bit curious about possible careers. I think I am either going to go into law enforcement, but not sure. I am really good at computers, I love working on them as a hobby. But when I did it for money, I hated it. But I would still consider it, since it pays pretty good. But I been thinking about for shits and giggles give it a shot. Like a in between job, while I think and will look good on paper. I was thinking about becoming a car sales man, I seen a few wanted adds (VW Dealer and Toyota (No GM). Now my question how do you become and get into it, what do they look for? I just think it would be interesting, while I think truly about what I want. Plus I love cars, and this will give me a taste in another interest, real estate. I hear realators have an interesting and a decent paying job.
    Stay away from being a car salesman. 1st few months you are just over min wage till you start selling cars without a trainer. Then your pay is as good as you can sell. Also you have to have no scruples or morals when F'ing someone over just to get the highest amount of money from the customer.

Job market is brutal, I went the Military route. Had good times and some bad, but luv it all the same. I got decent pay, helped pay for college, and have a nice retirement check after 16 yrs of service(My case is different, most of the time you have to serve 20yrs. I was hurt in a training accident so I was retired at 16yrs), where in the civilian world you don't get till 65. I figure I am way ahead.

Your at an age where you just don't know what you want to do. I recommend college. Some will say it won't help, but any education is better then nothing.

Go to college get your bachelors... otherwise in 10 years you'll regret it. Trust me! I'm almost 32, I got my associates in computer networking, but I hated working on the field. I'm thinking of goign back and getting into engineering like my original plan was. Especially when I see what friends of mine in the field are making and what they actually do for work... something I think I would actually enjoy.

It just makes it alot easier having that piece of paper. Plus the good times to be had while at college! Starting your own business has lots of advantages, but as you saw not getting paid by customers is one of the many problems.

white
    2000 Z28

depends on do you want money now or are you willing to take traditional college schooling to make money in the long run.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

get some form of an education man and stay out of the auto business at the peon level. what i mean when i say peon is auto mechanic, salesman etc Business owner of a shop is different. but even then you still have to know the biz itself from working on cars. so pretty much avoid cars is what im saying. be the guy buying the car, not working on it. Ever think of getting into healthcare?

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Your 18. Start college now.

gold
    2000 honder accord

I went to school for mechanical engineering at ohio state the year I got out of high school and realized thats not what I wanted to do with my life... and wasted a shit ton of money in the process. Make sure if you do go to school go to school for what you plan on doing because you will regret even going. Now I am going to Art institute of Cincinatti for Culinary Arts because thats What I truely want to do with my life. Money isnt every thing remember that.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Your 18. Start college now.
    dumbasses like us that werent "school people" thought that, yeah we'll just sidestep college. pfff, i should have fuckin went
    Last edited by 310stanger; 09-30-2009 at 09:34 AM.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

well depending on what ya want to do..the best bet is college ..book smart or not..get a degree and get a degree that will pay money. i have under a year left until i graduate with a IT major and a biz administration minor......my old co-worker who graduated last year is making 50k in idaho ..there is money in the right field..look medical or tech..and also go for management...that is where that B of S or w/e comes into play..go get your learn on son

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    dumbasses like us that werent "school people" thought that, yeah we'll just sidestep college. pfff, i should have fuckin went
    Correct.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Go to college
    have mad fun
    make more money
    ???
    profit (irl)

Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

college does not mean you will make more money, shit does not even gurantee you a job.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by zero_proto View Post
    college does not mean you will make more money, shit does not even gurantee you a job.
    Sure, but neither does going into the workforce straight out of high school.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by zero_proto View Post
    yes i would say 99% of a time..in the long run..college does guarantee you more money ..and for the job thing..if you pick the right degree and not pick a basoon or flute major...you will get a job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information