Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Career Advice

Navy Blue
    2002 Z28 A/4

Career Advice

Im going to college on march & really not sure what career to pursue. I am considering business management but really don't have a clue All advice or help welcomed.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Mechanical engineering is very hard, but it covers a broad variety of jobs and they get good jobs

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

What are your goals in life?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
    Mechanical engineering is very hard, but it covers a broad variety of jobs and they get good jobs
    I can attest to this being a mechanical engineer myself. Schooling is tough, but you can "almost" be certain to find a job, and be paid pretty well being an engineer. You won't become a millionaire, but you won't be living from paycheck to paycheck either.

Business is a more diverse field (just got my MBA). There is a lot of competition for business degrees and unless you have something more to offer over someone else, you might be more pressed to find a job, especially when the economy is at a low. If you have good communication skills, are good at effectively managing people and meeting deadlines, go for business. Management often pays more, but with that upgraded pay scale comes more responsibility, more accountability, and more stress.

The two best fields are health and engineering in my opinion.

It all boils down to what your interests are and what you think you will be happy doing.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Health futures are looking shady to me. They might be able to pass full on govt. health care one of these days...

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
    Health futures are looking shady to me. They might be able to pass full on govt. health care one of these days...
    The jobs will be there regardless. People will always get sick.

Navy Blue
    2002 Z28 A/4

well really i just a want a reliable job that will alway be there & wont have me living pay check to pay check. / the reason i wuz considering business is because my dad owns his own car lot (very small time rite now he just has 5 car and there no corvettes if u know what i mean) & thought if i get a degree i could get a loan for the family business & get it moving forward

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by SSjunior View Post
    well really i just a want a reliable job that will alway be there & wont have me living pay check to pay check. / the reason i wuz considering business is because my dad owns his own car lot (very small time rite now he just has 5 car and there no corvettes if u know what i mean) & thought if i get a degree i could get a loan for the family business & get it moving forward
    I'm not the most knowledgeable on this, but a 4-year business degree probably won't make a big difference to a loan officer, compared to other factors.

08 HD FXSTB
    2010 F350

Depends on what you like to do.

You can be a nurse which makes good money and puts you around a lot of women. Schooling is tough, if you don't like helping people you will be miserable, and people will think you are gay being a male nurse.

Engineering as mentioned and computer science are hard work but pay well. Jobs always available

Join ROTC and your degree doesn't matter because you will be trained on a job as an officer in the military. Good pay, guaranteed job; downside is you may get your ass shot at blown up. This was my choice, degree was MIS for something to fall back on but I decided to stay in.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    I'm not the most knowledgeable on this, but a 4-year business degree probably won't make a big difference to a loan officer, compared to other factors.
    I would probably agree with this. A degree will only give you the basic tools needed to be able to apply yourself at being able to effectively and efficiently running your own business.

You get the basic understandings of how a business operates and what all is involved. This includes: accounting, financial management, marketing, human resources, IT, business law, strategic management, and economics.

My suggestion would be to talk to people who own and operate businesses. Mom and pop shops if you will. Get a feel based on their feedback.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Like said above it all depends on what you like to do or what your interests are. I decided to become a mechanic when i was young and have been doing it ever since. Went into the army for a while as a mechanic and now i work for John Deere. I love what i do and enjoy going to work everyday. My bills are paid and im comfortable.
    The biggest thing is if you enjoy what you do, everyday is a vacation..
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    The jobs will be there regardless. People will always get sick.
    salaries, not job availability

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Move to Long Island and get on the police force. Easy 100k/yr after 5 years.

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

You can see if you can get a government job, saying this because this is what I would like to do when i get out of school.

My mom works for NIH (National Institutes of Health), it's a pretty cool job for sure, shes a contractor, she only works tuesday-thursday, and has a TON of leave, but it's kind of difficult to get a position in there to my understanding, kind of competitive and if you want to make any money in that system it's necessary to have a college degree, but judging by what she tells me, once your in there it's not too bad, but is a lot of work, but she doesn't mind it considering all the time off she has.

It's def. a job to think about taking up imo. Plus the money is not bad. It's not uncommon to hit well over the 100k mark when your up in the higher levels of the government ranking system.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    Move to Long Island and get on the police force. Easy 100k/yr after 5 years.
    Doesn't the cost of living there bump that pay scale down to the equivalent of about 40k/yr?

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Doesn't the cost of living there bump that pay scale down to the equivalent of about 40k/yr?
    Probably closer to 50 or 60k. That doesnt include OT either.

Desert Boat Guy SouthernBornThriller's Avatar

Black 2002 T/A M6
    Green 1997 Ram 4x4

If you care about job security and such, but don't really know exactly what you want to do...don't worry about the major as much. Focus on learning a foreign language.

At the rate the world is going, EVERYONE is going to need someone that can speak Chinese, Russian, Spanish, etc. Learn multiple languages if you can. Linguists are in high demand everywhere.

Green
    1996 Acura Integra

I'm going the engineering route myself but if you want to travel, have bills paid, health care plan..... Get any degree with decent grades or at least two years worth as there are other ways but go into the Coast Guard as an officer. All the benefits of the military life without the high likely hood of being shot at.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

1. go to school
    2. graduate
    3. ??
    4. profit

best I can come up with. My dad bought a bar when I was in high school. He said people drink because they have money and then they drink because they don't have money. Buy a bar.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    1. go to school
    2. graduate
    3. ??
    4. profit

best I can come up with. My dad bought a bar when I was in high school. He said people drink because they have money and then they drink because they don't have money. Buy a bar.
    I like that!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information