Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Capital One is a bunch of scam artists!

I just got my 1st credit card from Capital One two months ago, and I'm pissed as fuck already!

The first month, I try to pay online and it would reject my bank account information as fraudulent. I call and explain what happened, and the rep tells me he'll lift the over the phone payment fee and take care of it for me. I still get charged the fee and have to call in again to have it lifted.

My 2nd bill was due just 17 minutes ago. At 11:15 PM I attempt to login to my account online and it said the server is down for maitenence. So time to call India...I dial their 1-800 number and the rep was being brutally rude to me. He said that it is 2:30 AM on May 28th and 1) I am already late 2) They do not process payments between 12:00 and 3:00 on a Sunday. I told him I live in California and it is still the 27th and that if I am notified to pay on at the latest the 27th, I should be able to pay on the 27th. I ask for his manager and this guy gave me a complete run-around until he said he'll post a note on my account that I attempted to pay. I asked if he'd lift the fee and he said he couldn't because there is no fee at the moment. I ask for his name so he can lift the fee next time I call. He says I won't be able to get him, so I ask for his full name and refused to give me his last name. He gives me a 2-digit operating #, which to me sounds like BS for a company that large. No help.

It's like they know most people who take care of bills last second would be screwed because their servers will be "down for maitenence" at that time. Now I get royally screwed over by Capital One. NEVER AGAIN!!!

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

So it's a scam because you wait until the last minute to pay your bill??

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Think about what you're talking about. Credit cards. CREDIT CARDS ARE THE SCAM! It's not just the companies that provide them.

Quote Originally Posted by rbob93 View Post
    I agree. Pay the damn bill within a few days of getting it and you'll avoid all the last minute BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Zapper2003 View Post
    Think about what you're talking about. Credit cards. CREDIT CARDS ARE THE SCAM! It's not just the companies that provide them.
    Credit cards work to my advantage. They pay me a %age back for what I spend . I wouldn't get that with cash, checks, or paypal. The "scam" part comes in when you:

(1) Carry a balance
    (2) Make minimum payments
    (3) Don't pay on time

I avoid all 3 of those with no problem. If I don't have the cash in the bank to back up the balance on the card, I won't put it on the card. Simple as that. If one can't do that then they are living beyond their means, which can be hard to admit to oneself.

If I owned a business, however, I wouldn't be too fond of having to pay all the damn transaction fees but I guess that's part of the cost of doing business today. With the exception of roadside farmstands, I won't do business with anyone who won't accept credit as a means of payment. Same goes for places that require that one must "spend at least $10" to use a card.

As for capital one, those bastards send me a "pre-approved for $100,000" letter every week expecting me to start generating interest payments for them. The letters are signed by some director in their marketing division but for some strange reason I can never get a hold of the guy when I try to call him for clarification on their offers...

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by my5thNewUsernameHere View Post
    If I don't have the cash in the bank to back up the balance on the card, I won't put it on the card. Simple as that.

So why have the card? You have to have the money to buy what you want in order to pay it off. That's my way of thinking anyhow. Agreed that they are VERY useful in an emergency situation (car breaks down, needs a tow; washing machine breaks etc etc etc) but any time beside that, if I didn't have the cash, I wouldn't buy it anyhow. Hence why I don't have ANY credit cards. I've lived through my parents' struggle to pay them off, and watched numerous people I know go severely into debt with them (severely because they were stupid and did those 3 things you mentioned). Either way, they make it TOO easy to spend money you don't have, and thats why I dislike them.

07 MAZDASPEED6 GT

wooooooooooooord
    '07 MAZDASPEED6 GT
    '96 Mystic Cobra #5615

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

you wait till the last minute to send money, for lack of better terms, whos the asshole?
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

set up an auto payment. boom-no more drama

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    set up an auto payment. boom-no more drama
    Exactly! I have all my utilities set up that way (electric, cable/internet,cell fone, etc.) so I don't need to think about it. Plus, I get money back again for putting it on the card.

Quote Originally Posted by Zapper2003 View Post
    So why have the card? You have to have the money to buy what you want in order to pay it off. That's my way of thinking anyhow. Agreed that they are VERY useful in an emergency situation (car breaks down, needs a tow; washing machine breaks etc etc etc) but any time beside that, if I didn't have the cash, I wouldn't buy it anyhow. Hence why I don't have ANY credit cards. I've lived through my parents' struggle to pay them off, and watched numerous people I know go severely into debt with them (severely because they were stupid and did those 3 things you mentioned). Either way, they make it TOO easy to spend money you don't have, and thats why I dislike them.
    Simple dude: I get cash back (or "miles" or whatever). Also, it's important to build credit for other major purchases likes homes and cars.

For example, I get 5% back on all gas purchases by using the card. If I buy $50.00 worth of "cash gas", I only have to pay $47.50 for it. It adds up to a lot of cash back considering my monthly CC bills are in the thousands each month.

Keep in mind, these rewards all go out the window if you're paying 20%+ interest on a balance that is carried. (FWIW, my bill this month was $5500 with an ~$80 min payment. If I made the min payment, I can't imagine what the finance charge would be the next month around. It's cheaper in the long haul to pay it off in full, unless you have some kind of amazing stock tip.)

Credit cards are a vice to people that can't control their spending. Very similar to alcohol, cigarettes, and gambling: Moderation is key.

Edit: It's a real shame that we Americans piss away so must in interest payments for the "gotta have it now" factor...
    Last edited by my5thNewUsernameHere; 05-28-2007 at 02:50 PM.

[QUOTE=my5thNewUsernameHere;789551]For example, I get 5% back on all gas purchases by using the card. If I buy $50.00 worth of "cash gas", I only have to pay $47.50 for it. It adds up to a lot of cash back considering my monthly CC bills are in the thousands each month. QUOTE]

I've got the same deal (plus 5% at grocery stores and drug stores, 1% on everything else). I had enough in rebates to where I purchased a new set of tires for my F250. I put everything I can on my CCs. They never make a dime off of me. My wife is the same way I'm happy to say.

2nd last of the lt1s EVAR 94z28l's Avatar

purple pearl metalic
    1994 Z28 Camaro

i just dont like capital one because they wont stop sending me applications every fucking day

They all will find ways to get ya, if its late fees or whatever... then pay late get a higher interest rate. I just paid off a bunch and any with an anual fee will get closed... best advice I can give, pay the balance and dont use it. And dont get any more, its like the plague!

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

i hate to be eco-fagish, but honestly, all those CC applications they send out are such a freakin waste of paper! I have only applied to 2 CC's after they arrived in my mail. I also only keep a CC as long as it's 0% APR holds. The last one i got was an 18month 0% apr and i'll be dropping that this fall for the next 0% apr...fuck em.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

all those CC applications they send out are such a freakin waste of paper! .
    Opt out and you won't recieve them anymore

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

aye??? where's that?

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

aye??? where's that?
    1-888-567-8688

OR

https://www.optoutprescreen.com/?rf=t

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by myk02k View Post
    I just got my 1st credit card from Capital One two months ago, and I'm pissed as fuck already!

The first month, I try to pay online and it would reject my bank account information as fraudulent. I call and explain what happened, and the rep tells me he'll lift the over the phone payment fee and take care of it for me. I still get charged the fee and have to call in again to have it lifted.

My 2nd bill was due just 17 minutes ago. At 11:15 PM I attempt to login to my account online and it said the server is down for maitenence. So time to call India...I dial their 1-800 number and the rep was being brutally rude to me. He said that it is 2:30 AM on May 28th and 1) I am already late 2) They do not process payments between 12:00 and 3:00 on a Sunday. I told him I live in California and it is still the 27th and that if I am notified to pay on at the latest the 27th, I should be able to pay on the 27th. I ask for his manager and this guy gave me a complete run-around until he said he'll post a note on my account that I attempted to pay. I asked if he'd lift the fee and he said he couldn't because there is no fee at the moment. I ask for his name so he can lift the fee next time I call. He says I won't be able to get him, so I ask for his full name and refused to give me his last name. He gives me a 2-digit operating #, which to me sounds like BS for a company that large. No help.

It's like they know most people who take care of bills last second would be screwed because their servers will be "down for maitenence" at that time. Now I get royally screwd over by Capital One. NEVER AGAIN!!!
    Dear myk02k,
    Fuck you in the ear.
    Love and kisses,
    Your pals at Capital One
    Rajih and Salimon

My wife did that recently and they said it will take up to a year before you can expect to see a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by gd1996 View Post
    They all will find ways to get ya, if its late fees or whatever... then pay late get a higher interest rate.
    Umm, don't pay late then?

Folks: The credit card companies make all their profits from people that have no money (ironically). Don't be one of them and only spend what you can back up with cash!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information