Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Catfish for Breakfast Bobby97SS's Avatar

white
    97 SS

Cancer Survivor?

Anyone here have any personal experience they would share?
    Couple of weeks ago I was diagnosed w/ colon cancer. Next week I will start a regime of radiation and chemotherapy. Followed in 6 weeks by surgery. They say that it was caught in time and I will be cured and have full recovery. Funny thing about this is that I felt fine, only got checked because my Dr. kept insisting. You know, that whole 50 yr. old thing. Needless to say, I am somewhat scared. If you have any words of hope and encouragement I would like to hear them. Please dont slam me with horror stories, my own mind is doing enough of that. Some people say I should pray but I feel like hipocrit praying now. I kind of feel that I shoulda done that when things were good, not waiting till I need something to start. Thanks guys and girls.

Love buying generic GM's Nastyfoot's Avatar

Black, Black
    2011 "Generic" Gasser

Not personally, but Man, good luck

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

My assistant manager at work was diagnosed with breast cancer back in October. Her mother died from it when she was two years old. I am very close with my assistant, she is like my older sister. She is winning her battle. She has two chemo treatments left and then surgery after that. Even though she hasn't been able to work a whole lot over the past few months we talk daily and her spirits have remained very good throughout the entire process. You will get tired and have your good days and bad days, but the process has made significant improvements over the years. The fact they caught it early is greatly in your favor. The best thing you can do is just remain positive through out it all, if you find yourself getting down, find a way to get yourself back up.

Couple years ago, one of the VPs of our company had colon cancer, bout 10 years older than you, and he beat it. Good luck with your battle, you will beat it

silver
    2002 z-28

sounds like your all set .....you said it hadnt started spreading yet......cancer nowadays is very cureable.......good luck to u my man!

2003 DSG Cobra

good thing you caught it early. you will be fine... nuke it and move on...

my wife "made" me go in for a physical this friday... waiting for the results... 38yo
    2003 DSG Cobra Convertible

Visit my city
    http://diggstown.myminicity.com/

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

What did the Dr. say that finally made you decide to get a physical? The reason I ask is because i'm trying to talk my dad into getting one (he's 56) but he's a stubborn bastard.

Also i'm glad they found it in time...I hear that's the most important part.

white
    97 SS

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post
    What did the Dr. say that finally made you decide to get a physical? The reason I ask is because i'm trying to talk my dad into getting one (he's 56) but he's a stubborn bastard.

Also i'm glad they found it in time...I hear that's the most important part.
    Well, I was having some stomach discomfort and the Dr. said we should do a full physical and the colonoscopy just because Im over 50 and never had it done. Anyway, he gave me some Nexuim samples and I swear, within an hour of taking the first one I felt grear, no more stomach aches etc. I really wanted to blow off the rest of the tests because in my mind I was ok. Good thing my family and friends insisted to go ahead with them. The Dr said that had we not found this problem then by the time actual symptoms showed up it would be too late for a cure, only thing they could do would be "life extending". I guess Im really lucky although it doesnt really seem that way right now. One thing kinda funny, these Drs are offering tranquilizers and sleeping pills to help me cope. At first I declined but the other day I said go ahead and right the script in case I need them. So I got a script for 30 Xanax w/ 3 refills. Im thinkin after Im well Ill have a hell of a party!!

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

I had a colonoscopy at 50 like most and fortunately I was declared OK. Benign polyps but I can live with that. I was worried about cancer as you'll see below.

My mother on the other hand was diagnosed with breast cancer at 60 and went thru the whole chemo thing as well as having a right breast mastectomy. It gave her another 7 years of life which she cherished. Unfortunately, it returned and claimed her life. She passed at age 67 3 years ago.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

im sorry to hear about your cancer. Hope you get better soon! my story:
    my mom had hodgkins(i know not colon cancer, but still cancer) she had a tumor about the size of a football in her chest pressing on her lungs. They did surgery to remove it and she did chemo and radiation. The Dr. didn't tell her then but after she beat it he told my dad he didn't think she would have gone more then 6 months. Now, 19 years later, she is perfectly fine and has never had it come back.

Also, my dad's friend who is in his late 50's just beat colon cancer.

Just make sure to do all of the chemo and radiation that they tell you to even if it makes you a bit sick at the time.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

I am a survivor.
    But I had it when I was really little like around a year old, I had cancer in one of my kidneys and like you they found it at an early stage so they removed one of my kidneys before it could spread out.
    Good luck man

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

best time to pray is when u need God the most. My uncle is 68 and waited to long b4 he got checked. But he has made it over and year and still doing pretty good. Hang in there Bro

White
    2000 Trans AM

I don't think its never too late to start praying to god bro. If you belive in the same god I do he's very forgiving and gracious. Your chances are good that they caught it early, I'm sure the treatment will take its toll on you, but in the end the precentage is up there for you to make it. Keep that in mind

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #2364

Good luck and may God Bless!

Old: 00 WS6, 02 Z06, 79TA
    11 F350 CC 6.7L

My mom found out she had stage IV lung cancer that spread throughout her body in february of 04 (never smoked a single cigarette ever). When I flew to the hospital the doctor told me she might have 9 months max. She went through chemo and radiation and is doing great now. The cancer is dormant. She doesnt have to do chemo anymore and if you saw her you would never even know she had cancer. They gave her some new experimental medicine called Tarceva I think.

If your doctor told you that you would fully recover then Im sure you'll be fine. Dont they usually tell the worst possible outcome anyways so people wont be disappointed?

Good luck with everything man.

Sunset Orange
    2002 TransAm

Good luck on everything. Your in our prayers.
    2002 Sunset Orange TransAm 6 spd.
    http://www.mustangmods.com/data/1327/dadsigpic2.jpg

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

My mom had breast cancer. she was diagnosed a year ago november, had it removed, 2 days of radiation and 4 chemo treatments, shes doing well now. I just wrote a reflective essay on this for english class ill go find and throw it up here its kinda cool. Made my mom cry.

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

“I’m home” I softly spoke into my sleeping parent’s bedroom. After a quick ruffle under the covers, I got a sleepy “Alright” and a “Good job today” from my abruptly awoken parents. It had been a long day, for the whole family. I had competed in a wrestling tournament, and my mom and dad had brought all of my siblings to watch. I don’t know which would have been more strenuous, wrestling or keeping track of my little brother Windsor. Either way, I stood in my parent’s doorway and visited with them about the day’s occurrences a while before heading to my room to call it a night. I did not know that what would be found on that night, would in the end bring my family quite a bit closer together.

A few days later my mom had made a doctor’s appointment in Rapid City, but she would not tell me or my siblings what it was for. “Just a check-up” was all we could get out of her. My siblings and I sent Mom and Dad off that morning with smiles and waves, not knowing what was to come. Later that night, when they returned home, we helped them unpack a few of the things they had bought, and Mom and Dad sat us all down at the family diner table. It was right then I figured out that something wasn’t right. After looking at the confused looks on all of her children, my mom began to tear up as she choked out the words, “Guys, I’ve been diagnosed with breast cancer. It hasn’t gotten very bad yet, but I’m going to need all of your help to get through this.” That moment, I truly believe time stood still for a minute, and you could have heard a pin drop.

Almost a week later my mom was scheduled to go into surgery to have the tumor removed. That week, no one really knew what to do or how to act. It seemed as though you could have cut the tension in the air with a dull knife, but my mom knew that we were there for her. This time when my mom and my dad left for rapid, the smiles were not so wide yet the support was still there, for we did not know what to expect. Later that day, around four o’clock everyone was hit with a wave of relief when the phone rang and my dad spoke from the other end. “The surgery went without a flaw, and your mom is doing well. She is just feeling very weak.” Her surgery seemed to be the halfway point to my mom becoming 100% healthy again.

The last couple steps for her were the toughest. She had to undergo radiation treatment for two days, and take four chemotherapy treatments, one each month. Once again it was off to Rapid City for more medical visits. The radiation went without a hitch, and did not affect her mood or health too much, but once she started her chemotherapy the battle had begun. Reality really set in during her first treatment, as we sat in a little eight by ten room that had the typical stale hospital smell. They began to cover up her whole arm with this plastic-like sheet. When asked what it was for, I was told that if the red, blood-like fluid in this huge syringe were to get onto her skin, it would burn her skin. However, the nurse was going to inject this fluid into my mom’s veins. This made absolutely no sense to me, but they are the doctors. After each treatment, my mom would get really sick with flu-like symptoms for about a week, and her immune system would be very vulnerable. During these times my family would have to be sure to wash our hands often and make sure things were sanitized, otherwise my mom had a great danger of becoming sick. All of this put a lot of stress on my mom, and had it not been for the support of our neighbors and friends who brought meals or sent cards, I don’t think my mom would have made it through her ordeal as easily. All of this combined really wore on my mom’s spirits, but with our support she would make it through and be just fine.

Today my mom is healthy and strong as ever, and she has a whole different attitude toward life. I think it has also changed my whole family’s outlook on life just the same. It has brought me and my family closer together, and changed the way I live my life. Now instead of being all about the future, I have learned that you can plan for the future, but you have got to live life as it comes at you. You never know what you may find on any old, ordinary night.

A poistive attitude is everything. Check out the Livestrong.org site , and read Lance Armstrong's book 'It's Not About the Bike". Cancer has been a part of my life for over 5 years. Once cured, you will enjoy every second of the rest of your life more then ever before. Think positive and LiveStrong

white
    97 SS

Thank you all so much for your well wishes and positive thoughts. I will be leaving the house in a few minutes to go for the first radiation treatment. Drs. say 6 wks. radiation and chemo and then chill for a month before surgery. Everyone tells me to just stay positive and handle each thing one day at a time. I am trying. It would probably be a little different if I felt bad but I dont. All the medical profesionals I have dealt with so far are absolutely great. So much nicer and more supportive than the Drs. I have dealt with in the past. They even give me cell phone #s in case I just need to talk. Antway, this thread may turn into my own "train" before this is over. Thanks for listening.

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

good luck with everything. You got a lot of people pulling for you.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information