Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a new TV

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Buying a new TV

Im looking into buying a new TV. I currently have a samsung 32" but im thinkin about a new tv becuase my brother wants a TV and I am going to give him mine. Im still debating between a plasma or LED.

Iv seen plasmas many times and it has good picture quality but can it beat an LED with High-Def? The LED im looking at is the Samsung with a 3,000,000:1 contrast ratio. My current tv is a 50,000:1 contrast ratio w/o HD so im wondering how the differance will be. Anyone have an LED or Plasma? Anything to look out for before i spend 2 grand on a new TV? Im also getting a blue ray player and HDMI cable so all my channels will be HD.

1997 Grand Cherokee
    1999 Firebird.

I just got a 40" LED for the bedroom, and it fucking ROCKS!!

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    Im looking into buying a new TV. I currently have a samsung 32" but im thinkin about a new tv becuase my brother wants a TV and I am going to give him mine. Im still debating between a plasma or LED.

Iv seen plasmas many times and it has good picture quality but can it beat an LED with High-Def? The LED im looking at is the Samsung with a 3,000,000:1 contrast ratio. My current tv is a 50,000:1 contrast ratio w/o HD so im wondering how the differance will be. Anyone have an LED or Plasma? Anything to look out for before i spend 2 grand on a new TV? Im also getting a blue ray player and HDMI cable so all my channels will be HD.
    Im about to do the same as you, all the choices out there are mind numbing
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

2011 Prius

I'd go with Plasma, but what room will this be end and the lighting conditions. If there's lots of windows, what time of the day will you be watching?

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

check out avforums.com

secondly plasma is my choice.

2011 Prius

Quote Originally Posted by ibanez7 View Post
    check out avforums.com

That or http://www.blu-ray.com/

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post

I was shopping the Samsung LEDs this weekend at Best Buy. They are running great sales on the LEDs right now. If you purchase it Best Buy online, they are doing a promo of a free Samsung Blu Ray player with the purchase of select LEDs, something to keep in mind.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

LEDs are nice, but too expensive for the little bit of quality above the current LCDs and Plasmas...just my opinion.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    LEDs are nice, but too expensive for the little bit of quality above the current LCDs and Plasmas...just my opinion.
    I tend to agree with you, but Best Buy has them on sale for under $2000 right now, even the 55" are a $1000 off. Regular price they are still grossly overpriced, but the current sale prices have them priced about right.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I really enjoy the "bang for your buck" ideal and to me a 50" plasma for under 1k sounds better to me.

They do look good though...

Blue
    72 Chevelle, 2001 SS

Go plasma.

Oh, btw, no such thing as an LED TV........

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

FUCK Plasma!!! ARGH. They have horrific problems with glare(hence the time of day question someone asked earlier), and they are way heavier. Go LCD, or LED LCD if you can afford the price. The LEDs just plain win in every catagory except price against plasmas.

Blue
    72 Chevelle, 2001 SS

Quote Originally Posted by B34M3R View Post
    FUCK Plasma!!! ARGH. They have horrific problems with glare(hence the time of day question someone asked earlier), and they are way heavier. Go LCD, or LED LCD if you can afford the price. The LEDs just plain win in every catagory except price against plasmas.
    LOL! Oh really? U got something to back that up? Glare u say. Have u seen any new LCD tv's? They have glare too. They don't use the matte screens they used to.

If u want the best possible PQ that is natural, get plasma.
    If you want your pic to 'pop' out at u with enormously bright, overwashed color, get LCD.

2011 Prius

Quote Originally Posted by B34M3R View Post
    True, but much better color reproductions and faster refresh rates. Now I am not to up on date with the new LED's. But I like Plasma, always have and always will. Hell, some of these new LCD's have the stupid milky like screen, I can't see shit with them either during the day (Like a mirror).

Blue
    72 Chevelle, 2001 SS

Quote Originally Posted by ibanez7 View Post
    check out avforums.com

Agreed. Don't listen to these homers in here. Those guys at AVSFORUMS.com know their shit.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by korndawg View Post
    Agreed. Don't listen to these homers in here. Those guys at AVSFORUMS.com know their shit.
    So I don't know shit, yet I'm also an AVS Forum member.

Thanks genius...

2011 Prius

Thanks genius...
    I was a member also, same with BluRay... Just had not posted in over a year, lol.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

I have a 46" Samsung 8 series LED LCD. This is the edge lit LCD model. I can say that the 240hz is something that can be a blessing or a curse depending on the source material. When it works it's something incredible. Like the framerate hit infinity and the motion is perfectly clear and lifelike. When it doesn't work it leaves some strange artifacts around images. It's better suited for bluray movies than television I find.

On my TV as with ALL edge lit LCD's there is a common problem called "flashlighting". What happens is that these TV's are ultra thin, some like mine as thin as 1 inch, the LED's are not behind the screen but rather circle around the perimeter. In order to emit light at each pixel there are wave guides but they are not perfect and emit more light in some places as opposed to others leaving tell tale spotlights that look like someone shining a flashlight in that location.

Honestly the effect is really really really faint. It's only noticeable when dynamic contrast is off and the screen is blank and black. The guys at avsforum would make you think it's like the sun is shining through your screen and blinding you. These TV's wouldn't be flying off the shelves if that were true.

My TV was super light it's super thin and gives an EXCELLENT picture. MW2 looks fantastic on this screen and the lag in game mode isn't as bad as I had anticipated. In online gaming your internet lag will likely totally eclipse any perception of lag you might get from your TV. I've measured between 30 and 45ms of lag on my TV. do not confuse lag with response time. The pixels response time is something like 2ms. Lag is the amount of time it takes a signal to go from a source to the time you see it. CRT's have essentially 0 lag while any HDTV will have at least 10-15ms, some as high as 100+

If you have the cash you can't go wrong with an LED LCD with local dimming, These aren't edge lit models. Rather they have panels of LED's behind the screen that can get brighter or darker independently. They have the best contrast and color reproduction of pretty much any TV out there right now.

As for a bluray player? the PS3 is still the best bluray device on the market. Unlike other bluray players the PS3 is compatible with the latest high capacity bluray disks that may be coming to market in the future. PS3 is also compatible with the new 3D bluray format and is the only player that can do so right now.

That's another thing.... 2010 is the year of the 3DTV. 240hz is where it's at in the 3D world. A lot of manufacturers will be reconfiguring their 240hz lineups to run 120hz 3D material.... If you are interested in adopting the latest tech you might want to hold off till the second half of the year for 3D.

Blue
    72 Chevelle, 2001 SS

Thanks genius...
    Hey dick, I'm agreeing with u. Plasma > LCD

2011 Prius

Quote Originally Posted by korndawg View Post
    Hey dick, I'm agreeing with u. Plasma > LCD
    No need for that, give him a

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information