Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 80.00%
  • No

1 20.00%
    99' 30th Ann TA

To buy or not to buy??? WARRANTY

Just bought a 99 30th anniversary TA a little over a week ago. Only has a little over 40k miles. Had it at a local shop today, Anti Venom, that specializes in corvettes and f-bodies. They did a one over on it and are very impressed with its condition (mechanically). Everything was clean and performing like new. I've also had some other techs check it out at other shops.

I just bought a 2yr/24k miles powertrain warranty from the dealer for the car for a lil over $1000... Should I sell it back and use the money for other parts? Or should I keep the warranty?

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

i'd keep the warranty myself. ya never know when a starter or alternator is going to go out and you may not be able to...for whatever reason...do the work yourself.

like for me my starter went out not long after i got my 99 and it was cold as hell and starting to sleet out and i wasn't about to work on my car in my driveway in 30* weather.

99' 30th Ann TA

And just to add in, I have a $100 deductible... which isn't bad

Awaiting Activation

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6 D1SC

Im assuming that since you took it to a performance shop you're gonna have it modded. Will they warranty still be valid even with mods done?

99' 30th Ann TA

Quote Originally Posted by TempleU_WS6 View Post
    Im assuming that since you took it to a performance shop you're gonna have it modded. Will they warranty still be valid even with mods done?
    The dealer advised me that I could take it to any shop I want as long as they do warranty work... I know like most places, there are some mod friendly shops and some that aren't.... The dealer just said that as long as I dont plan on doing anything major like FI then I should be fine.

(however, i know if i had a broken axle, and they saw that i had 4.10 then they probably wouldn't do it)

Awaiting Activation

Pewter Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by ebdboudreaux View Post
    The dealer advised me that I could take it to any shop I want as long as they do warranty work... I know like most places, there are some mod friendly shops and some that aren't.... The dealer just said that as long as I dont plan on doing anything major like FI then I should be fine.

(however, i know if i had a broken axle, and they saw that i had 4.10 then they probably wouldn't do it)
    I dunno, its really up to you and what mods you want to do. If it were me Id sell it back if they wont allow mods. Anything stock that would break could be replaced with something after-market and better.

99' 30th Ann TA

Quote Originally Posted by TempleU_WS6 View Post
    I dunno, its really up to you and what mods you want to do. If it were me Id sell it back if they wont allow mods. Anything stock that would break could be replaced with something after-market and better.
    Very True... Main thing i liked about the warranty was that it covered the engine and tranny mostly. However, if I were to gamble on it going out within the next 24k miles, I'd say nothing would happen.... But who knows... Ehhh... Decisions

black black black
    77 swb

Screw that, how would they know it didn't have a 4.10 in it when you bought it? I am sure they didn't check, and you didn't buy it new.

99' 30th Ann TA

Quote Originally Posted by bodyman5000 View Post
    Screw that, how would they know it didn't have a 4.10 in it when you bought it? I am sure they didn't check, and you didn't buy it new.
    haha... good point... However, i think the warranty is still technically based off of it being "stock" persay... I could be wrong... But definitely a good point

I see Yello and I like it 02cetransam's Avatar

yellow
    02 Collector Trans Am

peace of mind is always nice!

Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

I am very anti-aftermarket warranty.

Basically, you are betting $1000 (plus $100 per occurrence)that something major WILL go wrong and they are betting that it WON'T.

Kind of like the "Paid Off In Case Of Death" insurance. You bet you'll die and the insurance company bets you won't. But you pay for the bet.

With 40k, it's not very likely that something major like engine or trans will go out.

An alternator/water pump/starter/ etc. can likely be found for not too much more than the $100 deductible.

Is peace of mind worth $1000?

If so, put the $1000 in the bank and don't touch it unless you need it. Then you can earn interest and still have the peace of mind.

Just MHO.

99' 30th Ann TA

Quote Originally Posted by CJREX View Post

Basically, you are betting $1000 (plus $100 per occurrence)that something major WILL go wrong and they are betting that it WON'T.

Kind of like the "Paid Off In Case Of Death" insurance. You bet you'll die and the insurance company bets you won't. But you pay for the bet.

With 40k, it's not very likely that something major like engine or trans will go out.

An alternator/water pump/starter/ etc. can likely be found for not too much more than the $100 deductible.

If so, put the $1000 in the bank and don't touch it unless you need it. Then you can earn interest and still have the peace of mind.

Just MHO.
    Very well put... Thanks

Awaiting Activation

Pewter Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by CJREX View Post

Just MHO.
    Very well put... Thanks
    Well, that kinda says it all and puts it in perspective too.

Thanks CJREX

[/thread]

Thread Information