Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Buy new car? Im really tempted.

Well the adjuster decided to total my Truck out.

YESSSSSSS..... that thing was worth about 3 grand.... not even. heres what was wrong with it.

One computer ground was burned in fire on the highway.melting hole in brake line, along with some chared senors. So that CPU was f'ed. Two codes remain.
    Both headlights were fucked. still worked but both were busted somehwere.
    One fender up front drivers side
    one hood in same spot
    One bottom plastic peice for fog lights
    One stell bumper
    One tail gate(got backed into by a damn boat.) but thatr was pulled out. It still looked like a bullet hole alomst.
    Then the accident, Rear passenger door, glass in back door, Rear bumper, and corner panel.
    Also wrong with truck but not done during accident---One core support pushed in.
    One condensor push in also, still work very nice.--
    136000 miles. No engine or Tranny probs at all.

So, Heres the deal on gettin a new car. I will have 5200 coming from Truck. THEN my mother gets 4000 off threw her work on any new GM or Ford car. . Looking at the new Grand Prix or GP GT. No GTP, i cant afford the insurance. Ic an afford a car with my job. It is also very secure thanks to the Union. Do i spend 24000$ and get new car with no miles? BUT it would be for about 16000. I said wow, this might be a possiblity. I searched all over autotrader. So do i just buy a cheaper car but with more miles. I duno, paying about 5 grand more for No miles, and 2006?
    Last edited by Hi-Po; 06-19-2006 at 04:30 PM. Reason: im was missing my damn "m"

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po
    Well the adjuster decided to total my Truck out.

YESSSSSSS..... that thing was worth about 3 grand.... not even. heres what was wrong with it.

One computer ground was burned in fire on the highway.melting hole in brake line, along with some chared senors. So that CPU was f'ed. Two codes remain.
    Both headlights were fucked. still worked but both were busted somehwere.
    One fender up front drivers side
    one hood in same spot
    One bottom plastic peice for fog lights
    One stell bumper
    One tail gate(got backed into by a damn boat.) but thatr was pulled out. It still looked like a bullet hole alomst.
    Then the accident, Rear passenger door, glass in back door, Rear bumper, and corner panel.
    Also wrong with truck but not done during accident---One core support pushed in.
    One condensor push in also, still work very nice.--
    136000 miles. No engine or Tranny probs at all.

So, Heres the deal on gettin a new car. I will have 5200 coming from Truck. THEN my mother gets 4000 off threw her work on any new GM or Ford car. . Looking at the new Grand Prix or GP GT. No GTP, i cant afford the insurance. Ic an afford a car with my job. It is also very secure thanks to the Union. Do i spend 24000$ and get new car with no miles? BUT it would be for about 16000. I said wow, this might be a possiblity. I searched all over autotrader. So do i just buy a cheaper car but with more miles. I duno, paying about 5 grand more for No miles, and 2006?
    Just my honest opinion through all of my dealings with cars over the years.....I probably won't buy a brand new vehicle ever again. The biggest and most obvious reason is depreciation. By the time your 5 year loan is paid off, the car isn't worth very much, and you're right back to a $4,000 dollar vehicle. Nothing against Grand Prix's...they are nice cars (what I'm saying goes for just about any run-of-the-mill vehicle, and any domestic brand), but I think you see what I'm getting at. Good luck with your decision!

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

really? so you say buy cheaper/ older car? Really the only reason im even concidering this at 20 years old is cause my mom gets this 4000 grand off gm or ford every year.

Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys
    I probably won't buy a brand new vehicle ever again. The biggest and most obvious reason is depreciation. By the time your 5 year loan is paid off, the car isn't worth very much, and you're right back to a $4,000 dollar vehicle.
    I agree and disagree with your viewpoint. You're dead on with the facts of depreciation. However, when it comes to cars it also pays to know the history of the vehicle. I'm looking to buy an '06 vette with about 5K or so miles on it so I can win on depreciation, but I'm frightened to think that I could possibly be buying a car that spent it's break-in period with some over-privileged teenager pushing it to it's limits. IMHO, it's worth buying new if you plan to keep the car for a long time. If you're going to dump it in less than 6 or 7 years, buy used (I'm sorry, I meant "pre-owned").

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

MY dad bought a brand new dodge caravan right about a year ago, two months ago he decided it wasn't enough and bought a brand new trailblazer. Teh dealer wouldn't even take the caravan because he owed too much on it. Seriously, less than a year after he bought it it was worth 4500 less than he owed on it, even after you subtract the interest from the loan. A new car is not worth it, you lose your ass during the first 2 years. Now he's gonna have to sell the caravan and pay the extra $4000 to pay it off on top of what it can sell for (if he can even get book value on it!). The fact taht you have to take a 4,000 dollar hit due to the depreciation after a year is scary. It isn't worth it. Let some rich chump buy a brand new car, and you buy it a year old for a lot less.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

yea but the first 4000 grand hit.... you could say i get 4000 free. The hospital she works for is great.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Do you have to pay sticker price, or can you haggle and still get 4 gs off

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by oneBADDz
    Do you have to pay sticker price, or can you haggle and still get 4 gs off
    No, its something called.... The x plan. or soemthing. my mom used it last year on her truck. 4000 off sticker. plus my 5200 from my totaled truck.

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Keep in mind interest rates on used vs. new. New, you can probably get a pretty low interest rate. Used are typically considerably higher.

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by my5thNewUsernameHere
    I agree and disagree with your viewpoint. You're dead on with the facts of depreciation. However, when it comes to cars it also pays to know the history of the vehicle. I'm looking to buy an '06 vette with about 5K or so miles on it so I can win on depreciation, but I'm frightened to think that I could possibly be buying a car that spent it's break-in period with some over-privileged teenager pushing it to it's limits. IMHO, it's worth buying new if you plan to keep the car for a long time. If you're going to dump it in less than 6 or 7 years, buy used (I'm sorry, I meant "pre-owned").
    Remember, I also said "run of the mill" vehicle. A Corvette is hardly in that category, and I really don't see how you are going to "win on depreciation" with that Vette. What is so special about that particular car that it won't depreciate? Is it a special edition? Do you not intend on putting many miles on it?

This guy intends on driving whichever car he chooses to buy quite a bit from what I'm gathering. I'm just giving my 2 cents as well.

It is a good deal to get 4 grand off the price. No arguements there. However, I still think you'll be behind after 5 years. Again, good luck!
    Last edited by FasstChevys; 06-20-2006 at 04:24 AM.

92 K Blazer/'03 H-D Deuce

buy import if you want it to be worth something down the road, or another truck...

If you are going to sell it in less than three or four years buy it used, if you want something longer then buy new, otherwise the cost difference is not worth it(this also takes into account the depreciation.)

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Kinda agree with Liquidfire. Bottom line buy what you like. There is something about buying a car that you know no one has had before you. But , the best cars is in the world are ones that are PAID OFF. Be patient and look around alot. You may run across something you have not thought about yet ... IMO..

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Got any ideas? It has to be good on gas. No more of this 14 MPG shit. I really like the Grand Prix, also like the Nissan Altima.How about you.?

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Don't make fun of me, I like the two door accord

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

I see a parking lot full of them everyday ....

Adios and vaya con dios ZAPFOOL!!'s Avatar

Victory Red
    2002 Corvette Z06

honda fit

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

at the Honda plant I see mostly Grand am/Grand Prix and Honda accords

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

yea there not bad. I just would hate to say i own a Honda for some reason? They are dependable cars yes, but theres just something about them.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by snaggeltooth
    at the Honda plant I see mostly Grand am/Grand Prix and Honda accords
    you mind pickin me up a 2006 tomorrow?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information