red
    69 Firebird

Thumbs up Buy a Corvette, build the engine yourself.

Buy a Corvette, build the engine yourself.
    Cool!

http://money.cnn.com/2010/07/12/auto...uild/index.htm

Buy a Corvette, build the engine yourself

Buy a Corvette Z06 or ZR1 (shown here) and you can pay to build the engine yourself.

by Peter Valdes-Dapena, senior writerJuly 12, 2010: 2:06 PM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Usually when you buy a car you expect someone else to build it for you. But, for a price, GM is letting some Chevrolet Corvette buyers build the car's engine themselves.

The "Engine Build Experience" is a $5,800 option on Corvette Z06 and ZR1 cars. Both are ultra-high-performance versions of the Corvette with engines that are hand-assembled at a plant in Wixom, Mich., near GM's Detroit headquarters. (The rest of the car is built at GM's Corvette assembly plant in Bowling Green, Ken.)

Customers who pay for the privilege will be invited to come to Wixom to assemble the engine for their car under the guidance of GM technicians. Once assembly is complete, a personalized nameplate is attached to the engine which is then sent to Bowling Green where it's put into the car.

"In a way, this is a dream program for a Corvette customer. I would have jumped at the chance to build the 427 in my '67 'Vette, and that didn't have half of what goes into one of these modern precision engines," said Tom Stephens, GM vice chairman for global product operations, in an announcement.

The roughly $70,000 Z06 has a 505-horsepower 7.0-liter V8 engine, while the $110,00 ZR1 has a 638-horsepower 6.2-liter engine.

The owner-built engines still get the same 5-year, 100,000 mile warranty as the engines the pros build, GM said.

Customers must pay their own travel expenses, but a GM concierge will help with arranging lodging and meals while in the Detroit area.
    0:00 /2:02A race car for the commuting set

GM offers a number of special purchase programs for the Corvette including one in which owners can watch their car being built in the Bowling Green factory, and another in which the new owner can take possession of the car at the National Corvette Museum, also in Bowling Green.

GM technician Bruce Blomfield assembles a Corvette engine at GM's Wixom, Mich. Performance Build Center.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

My sister would rather GM build the engine as she hasn't a clue except that her '06 Z06 Vette is, "Faster than anything fucking thing I've ever owned" according to her estimation...

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    My sister would rather GM build the engine as she hasn't a clue except that her '06 Z06 Vette is, "Faster than anything fucking thing I've ever owned" according to her estimation...
    Your sister owns a C6Z and you don't Not good sir, start working more hours or ask for some cash

Just playin
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

that's pretty kool...and it doesn't void the warranty...sweet

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Paying $5800 for that is ridiculous.

Blue GMC Canyon
    trans ams gone now

Quote Originally Posted by Transamws6 View Post
    Paying $5800 for that is ridiculous.
    true but if your able to pay $70k to $100k for a vette then this isn't much of a problem to say to your friends "it's fast as balls and i even built the engine myself" as you smoke from a pipe made of mohogany and sip expensive wines

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Quote Originally Posted by bandit95 View Post
    true but if your able to pay $70k to $100k for a vette then this isn't much of a problem to say to your friends "it's fast as balls and i even built the engine myself" as you smoke from a pipe made of mohogany and sip expensive wines
    and then some kid in a 472 f-body flies by you

2011 Prius

Should take some money off if I am flying up first class (that I am sure I have to pay for) and put in a Hotel (That I am sure I have to pay for). Then tighten a few bolts (that I paid out my ass for), for bragging rights... What's worse? Porsche charges you a damn leg if you want to pick it up from the factory (know a guy who did it)...

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    Your sister owns a C6Z and you don't Not good sir, start working more hours or ask for some cash

Just playin
    It's all good!

Her husband bought the car and gave it to her for her 50th BD.

Cute anecdote: She told James that she never had a Corvette for her Barbie when she was a kid. James, being the kinda guy he is (and also being richer than GOD) took pity and decided to freak her out (she was also kinda bummed about turning 50). Needless to say, it worked. Besides, although it's nominally "her" car, he'd always wanted a Corvette too.

2011 Prius

It's all good!

Cute anecdote: She told James that she never had a Corvette for her Barbie when she was a kid. James, being the kinda guy he is (and also being richer than GOD) took pity and decided to freak her out (she was also kinda bummed about turning 50). Needless to say, it worked. Besides, although it's nominally "her" car, he'd always wanted a Corvette too.
    Lol, that's cool. I know one girl who owns C6z, she own the VIP Corvette store going to Sanford. She had an NSX and still owns a CTS last I herd. I know the C6z is forsale and she has a 63 Splitback inside that is also forsale.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I think it's cool. Kinda like "in-house" aftermarket support. I remember all the aftermarket support the 5th gen had a year before they were on the assembly lines. No Vette will be exactly the same...which adds to their exotic reputation.

2000 Camaro B4C

i like the idea behind it, definitely get a story to tell about an amazing car

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

It's all good!

This dude looking for a step son

Back on topic: I would soooooooo do this if I had the cash to buy one!

92 K Blazer/'03 H-D Deuce

thats a pretty cool option! generally if a person is dumping that much money into a car, $5800 isn't too much more.. I'd do it!

Silver
    2005 Ram Daytona

Quote Originally Posted by SHines-IT View Post
    Lol, that's cool. I know one girl who owns C6z, she own the VIP Corvette store going to Sanford. She had an NSX and still owns a CTS last I herd. I know the C6z is forsale and she has a 63 Splitback inside that is also forsale.
    well i know a girl who has a zo6 and she owns the extra-vip corvette store, and she has a cts-v. so hah

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SHines-IT View Post
    Should take some money off if I am flying up first class (that I am sure I have to pay for) and put in a Hotel (That I am sure I have to pay for). Then tighten a few bolts (that I paid out my ass for), for bragging rights... What's worse? Porsche charges you a damn leg if you want to pick it up from the factory (know a guy who did it)...
    "Life is to short to drive a slow car"

Gone but not forgoten: 1998 Pontiac Trans Am M6 "The Black Bandit"
    Bought- 11-18-05
    Sold- 10-14-08

Thread Information