Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2001 WS6

Burj Dubai tower

Has anyone else seen this? They started back in 2006 I believe, and it took them only 3 years to build the world's largest tower, now opening. And it's not just some office building. Saying it houses some 30,000 residents possibly. It makes me think of how we can't get things done here. The 9/11 memorial for example. How many years have they just been talking and planning it and it's still only in the beginning stages? I know there were hold ups with the city of new york, but you'd think something important like that would get the green light and get built. There's a boost in creating jobs right there. Just ranting.

Red
    2001 ws6

building the 9/11 memorial has had alot of delays due to personal reasons of the families.....

Dark Steel Metalic
    98 T/A

Good point. You know what the problem is? Government.

Dark Steel Metalic
    98 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    building the 9/11 memorial has had alot of delays due to personal reasons of the families.....
    Why would they have a problem with a memorial being built?

Red
    2001 ws6

some wanted it built a certian way others didnt.....then where they were guna put it.....what they were guna include in it......it was a very sensitive matter that they had to deal with and when dealing with such a large scale of families they had to try and see which "plan" would satisfy the most families

Dark Steel Metalic
    98 T/A

In my extreme opinion, a memorial is being built. STFU.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

Dubai is the most in debt city in the WORLD. Some like 30 billion in debt. My town could build that tower if we took out a 30 billion dollar loan...

Black
    2001 WS6

I liked the footprint design that they had, they're still building that right? I think that is a good memorial to have. I didnt know they actually started building the freedom tower

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

That tower is sweet, i've been following it for a while.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by Ramairgod84 View Post
    Has anyone else seen this? They started back in 2006 I believe, and it took them only 3 years to build the world's largest tower, now opening. And it's not just some office building. Saying it houses some 30,000 residents possibly. It makes me think of how we can't get things done here. The 9/11 memorial for example. How many years have they just been talking and planning it and it's still only in the beginning stages? I know there were hold ups with the city of new york, but you'd think something important like that would get the green light and get built. There's a boost in creating jobs right there. Just ranting.
    You cannot compare the two.

The Burj Dubai is a commercial venture built according to the specifications of a handful of like-minded fat-cat billionaires using their multi-billion dollar real estate companies.

The 9/11 memorial brings many differing views and opinions of what should be done in memory of the victims, creating controversy and delay of anything happening. Not to mention, it's largely state or government funded which lacks the endless riches of the Arabic princes, and being run by the government, well, when do they every get anything done quickly.

Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    and being run by the government, well, when do they every get anything done quickly.
    When it's gonna cost us a few trillion $$$

Dark Steel Metalic
    98 T/A

...that we already don't have.

I don't think a lot of know how tall this building is. Here are some videos so you can get a perspective:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWVLzVhnYE0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWVLzVhnYE0[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfRMdFfobfQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfRMdFfobfQ[/ame]

Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

More than 2640 ft (half a mile) tall.

The engineers said based on what they learned building this one, they could easily build one a kilometer (3280 ft) tall.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Ya know, that's about the only thing I liked about those Cessna 172s and the other single prop cessnas was the view down. The Cherokee 235 from Piper still gets my vote though

Black
    2001 WS6

I wonder if this is what the future will be like. I wonder if we'll all be living in super structures like this down the line

Impulse Blurr
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Smkn_TA View Post
    Dubai is the most in debt city in the WORLD. Some like 30 billion in debt. My town could build that tower if we took out a 30 billion dollar loan...
    It's twice that amount ($59 billion) and they utilize CHEAP imported labor in their construction. Non union and nothing like OSHA. The laborers live in camps and are shipped out when the job is completed. The entire Dubai concept never made sense to me. A tourist destination geared towards Muslim/Arab tourism and no alcohol in the clubs. Wow, what a great time . . . YAWN! My friend Ash is Pakastani and he's been there. He says it looks really cool but it's lame. Here he owns . . . a night club! (Full liquor and he's always drinking and a notorious gambler)

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by Goat-E View Post
    It's twice that amount ($59 billion) and they utilize CHEAP imported labor in their construction. Non union and nothing like OSHA. The laborers live in camps and are shipped out when the job is completed. The entire Dubai concept never made sense to me. A tourist destination geared towards Muslim/Arab tourism and no alcohol in the clubs. Wow, what a great time . . . YAWN! My friend Ash is Pakastani and he's been there. He says it looks really cool but it's lame. Here he owns . . . a night club! (Full liquor and he's always drinking and a notorious gambler)
    I saw pictures of the area a while ago, and they had signs posted around the walk ways reminding international female tourists to keep their clothing choices modest (Think of a picture of a short-sleeved t-shirt with a red slash through it).

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    I saw pictures of the area a while ago, and they had signs posted around the walk ways reminding international female tourists to keep their clothing choices modest (Think of a picture of a short-sleeved t-shirt with a red slash through it).
    Here it is, my memory was bad, apparently t-shirts are allowed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information