Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bowling?

pewter
    01 ws6

bowling?

Does anybody in here bowl? I love it, their is nothing better than going bowling and having a few beers. And by a few I mean 10 lol. I just got my own ball, shoes , and bag, I average like 170. I have only been bowling for like 5 months now, who else bowls, any tips?

Black as Wesley Snipes
    09 Mazda 3, 12 Z1000

I enjoy the hell out of bowling, because I always get really drunk. And I always bowl better once tanked.

Black
    , 2007 CBR600RR

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzed View Post
    I enjoy the hell out of bowling, because I always get really drunk. And I always bowl better once tanked.

you suck STFU

you dont even drink... and climb roop tops and almost fall off..

Blue GMC Canyon
    trans ams gone now

i havent been in awile but i was gettin into it with some friends for some time. we just dont go anymore but i would like to do it again, it's alot of fun.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Bowling ... the only sport where participants are in encouraged to drink...

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

i can't right now cause of my knee surgery but i used to be on about 3 different leagues at one time. love bowling. i wasn't the greatest at it but when i did bowl when i was about 16/17 i held an average of bout 186.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by snaggeltooth View Post
    Bowling ... the only sport where participants are in encouraged to drink...
    you forget about horseshoes

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

Tips: Don't rush your approach, maintain control through your release (don't lose balance), roll the ball as though you are pitching a football underhanded. Don't try to hook the ball more than is comfortable and within your control. Remember that in spare shooting (especially single pins) you don't have to hit them hard, just hit them!

What kind of equipment do you have?

I've been certified as a coach 2x, worked at a pro shop, and used to be pretty good. Got a college scholarship and got burned out from 3 days of practice and 1 league every week, and tournaments every month for 3 academic years. But I still know a lot about the game.

Black as Wesley Snipes
    09 Mazda 3, 12 Z1000

Quote Originally Posted by hoss 2000 z-28 View Post
    Tips: Don't rush your approach, maintain control through your release (don't lose balance), roll the ball as though you are pitching a football underhanded. Don't try to hook the ball more than is comfortable and within your control. Remember that in spare shooting (especially single pins) you don't have to hit them hard, just hit them!

What kind of equipment do you have?

I've been certified as a coach 2x, worked at a pro shop, and used to be pretty good. Got a college scholarship and got burned out from 3 days of practice and 1 league every week, and tournaments every month for 3 academic years. But I still know a lot about the game.
    That'll get ya laid

Blue GMC Canyon
    trans ams gone now

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzed View Post
    That'll get ya laid

Black
    2001 TransAm WS6

i do infact i have to bowl tonight. adv right now is fluctuating a bit from 187-195 and yea i tend to bowl a bit better after i had a few. If you you want to get better, buy your own shoes,bag,balls etc. You should have atleast 2 bowling balls, one for heavy oil and one for med/lite oil conditions. You should be using a fingertip grip, that allows the most controll over the ball. Do your research on ball coverstock(outside material of the ball) as there are quite a few different materials and it all depends on lane conditions you typically bowl on as well as your bowling style. You should be hooking the ball also as this will give you the best possiable angle for strikes when you hit the pocket. Other things to think about is how the ball is drilled and how much offset you have vs the pin location on the ball. A missdrilled ball could ruin how the ball reacts when you release it and you might think the ball sucks but in reality ist not drilled right. You should also look into wrist supports if you tend to bend your wrist when releasing the ball. And you should have all the esentials for bowling like a cleaning towel(to wipe excess oil off),sanding pads/scotchbrite to rough up the ball in heavy oil conditions(this will make the ball rough to grab the lane and hook more--this can only be done with balls of the right coverstock) you should have ball cleaner and maybe a buffer to polish the ball (polished balls hook less and is esential when the lanes are dry and have no oil). Hope this helps..

pewter
    01 ws6

thanks, I have a 15 lb hammer cherry vibe with finger tip inserts. I have my own bag, dexter shoes and microfiber towel. I just started bowling so I haven't bought another ball yet. What is a good spare ball? and what weight?

98 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 01ls1ws6 View Post
    thanks, I have a 15 lb hammer cherry vibe with finger tip inserts. I have my own bag, dexter shoes and microfiber towel. I just started bowling so I haven't bought another ball yet. What is a good spare ball? and what weight?
    I have been bowling for a couple years and have bowled in many tournments. My avg is right around 200. Most people like to use any plastic ball for your spare ball. All plastic balls are the same for the most part just come in different colors.

Mystic Teal
    01 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by LS1WS6 View Post
    i do infact i have to bowl tonight. adv right now is fluctuating a bit from 187-195 and yea i tend to bowl a bit better after i had a few. If you you want to get better, buy your own shoes,bag,balls etc. You should have atleast 2 bowling balls, one for heavy oil and one for med/lite oil conditions. You should be using a fingertip grip, that allows the most controll over the ball. Do your research on ball coverstock(outside material of the ball) as there are quite a few different materials and it all depends on lane conditions you typically bowl on as well as your bowling style. You should be hooking the ball also as this will give you the best possiable angle for strikes when you hit the pocket. Other things to think about is how the ball is drilled and how much offset you have vs the pin location on the ball. A missdrilled ball could ruin how the ball reacts when you release it and you might think the ball sucks but in reality ist not drilled right. You should also look into wrist supports if you tend to bend your wrist when releasing the ball. And you should have all the esentials for bowling like a cleaning towel(to wipe excess oil off),sanding pads/scotchbrite to rough up the ball in heavy oil conditions(this will make the ball rough to grab the lane and hook more--this can only be done with balls of the right coverstock) you should have ball cleaner and maybe a buffer to polish the ball (polished balls hook less and is esential when the lanes are dry and have no oil). Hope this helps..

I think you left out blocked and unblocked lanes; natural wood and synthetic lanes ...

Black
    2001 TransAm WS6

hey i tried to cover everything, im not a pro you know lol

let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar

white
    94 camaro z28

i used to bowl. i had a 205 average for a while. then i messed up my finger riding bmx and never got back into it. i used a 15 pound ball with a killer hook. i can't remember the name of it though. i need to go to the bowling alley and take the stuff out of the locker.

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

I would also recommend a polyester (spare) ball. The affordable ones such as the Columbia White Dot are tried and true. They make them in any color you could imagine. Some expensive ones have cool cores such as skull, football, basketball, etc. They cost a lot more but are really cool.

If you can learn to shoot most spares with a plastic ball and get really good with a straight shot, your average will skyrocket. Sometimes you can have a hot night and strike a bunch, other nights you are leaving lots of corner pins, etc. If you can pick up those spares you will score very consistently and from there you can focus on rolling a more effective strike ball by reading lanes and adjusting. We'll get to that.

General tips:
    -In your starting position on the approach, hold your ball infront of your shoulder and your other hand to the side supporting it. This will keep your arm from wrapping around your body as you swing the ball through the delivery.
    -When you push away to start your swing, put as little effort as you can into it and let gravity do most of the work. When you muscle the ball, you will be less consistent!
    -Think of a pendulum as you swing your ball. Keep your shoulder loose and avoid using muscles in your arm, etc. This is called the "Free Swing." If you get sore or tired after bowling this could vastly improve your endurance.
    -Try to not "hit" the ball (lifting too hard with your finger tips) at the bottom of your swing. You can get away with a little but don't go overboard, accuracy will suffer.
    -Maintain balance through your swing, focus on a solid follow through.

Adjusting: After you have warmed up enough that your delivery is feeling comfortable, start looking for your strike line! Start in your favorite place on the approach and make your shot.

If your ball is not hooking enough:
    From your favorite place on the approach, move horizontally in the direction of your throwing arm 5 boards (one dot). Keep your ball rolling over the same target arrow. If the ball is still not reacting enough, keep moving until your shot gets lined up. If your ball is hitting the pocket and not striking, move your feet back about 2 inches from where you were. This will get your ball rolling sooner and should have a stronger reaction and finish.

If your ball is hooking too much:
    From your favorite place on the approach, move horizontally opposite your throwing arm 5 boards (one dot). Try to hit the same arrow target as before. If you are so far left that the angle of your shot is too great that you are not comfortable with your release, try moving your starting position on the approach forward 1-2 inches. This will help to get your ball down the lane and roll through the break point.

pewter
    01 ws6

I would also recommend a polyester (spare) ball. The affordable ones such as the Columbia White Dot are tried and true. They make them in any color you could imagine. Some expensive ones have cool cores such as skull, football, basketball, etc. They cost a lot more but are really cool.

If you can learn to shoot most spares with a plastic ball and get really good with a straight shot, your average will skyrocket. Sometimes you can have a hot night and strike a bunch, other nights you are leaving lots of corner pins, etc. If you can pick up those spares you will score very consistently and from there you can focus on rolling a more effective strike ball by reading lanes and adjusting. We'll get to that.

General tips:
    -In your starting position on the approach, hold your ball infront of your shoulder and your other hand to the side supporting it. This will keep your arm from wrapping around your body as you swing the ball through the delivery.
    -When you push away to start your swing, put as little effort as you can into it and let gravity do most of the work. When you muscle the ball, you will be less consistent!
    -Think of a pendulum as you swing your ball. Keep your shoulder loose and avoid using muscles in your arm, etc. This is called the "Free Swing." If you get sore or tired after bowling this could vastly improve your endurance.
    -Try to not "hit" the ball (lifting too hard with your finger tips) at the bottom of your swing. You can get away with a little but don't go overboard, accuracy will suffer.

Adjusting: After you have warmed up enough that your delivery is feeling comfortable, start looking for your strike line! Start in your favorite place on the approach and make your shot.

From your favorite place on the approach, move horizontally in the direction of your throwing arm 5 boards (one dot). Keep your ball rolling over the same target arrow. If the ball is still not reacting enough, keep moving until your shot gets lined up. If your ball is hitting the pocket and not striking, move your feet back about 2 inches from where you were. This will get your ball rolling sooner and should have a stronger reaction and finish.

From your favorite place on the approach, move horizontally opposite your throwing arm 5 boards (one dot). Try to hit the same arrow target as before. If you are so far left that the angle of your shot is too great that you are not comfortable with your release, try moving your starting position on the approach forward 1-2 inches. This will help to get your ball down the lane and roll through the break point.
    Thanks man, I'm going bowling tonight so we will see what happens

whats up. where do you bowl at? i used to but started to hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by LS1WS6 View Post

how long you been in kentucky? my wife bowled for moorehead state. yeah yeah funny name. be funny if she knew you.

General tips:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information