Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Silver
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Bowflex Revolution???

Im lookin to buy a home gym. I know free wieghts are the way to go but Im looking into home gyms so my wife will use it too. Any body have any feed back on this thing. Of course the comercials make it look like the best thing in the world. Wanted to see what you guys thought of the Bowflex Revolution

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

All the bowflex stuff looks pretty nice. THe problem with home gyms is the convenience gives the owner excuses to really not be motivated to use it. Then it ends up in garage sales and in consignment used in like 2 yrs. Try craigslist as you can probably get a great deal on one. But if you could swing it, i recommend joining a gym for the simple fact that the 2 of you would be motivated to actually get up and go use it. my 2 cents

Desert Boat Guy SouthernBornThriller's Avatar

Black 2002 T/A M6
    Green 1997 Ram 4x4

I have an older bowflex...the rod one.

It does it's job. You'll never get huge with it like you will with free weights, but it'll keep you flexible, toned, and decently strong. Was perfect for me back in high school since I tried to stay as strong but light and lean as possible (soccer team captain FTW!). Have since moved up to free weights attempting to put on a little size.

My only real gripe about it was that the numbers aren't correct. Benching 200lbs on a bowflex is akin to benching 130ish in free weights.

Final opinion though, as a novelty and something to get her interested in working out, it's perfect for a woman. However if the motivation is already there for her, there's really nothing that can be achieved with it that can't be with just body weight training (push-ups, pull-ups, stretching, etc).

Kamen Blue
    05 Segueway

Consider getting a good set of adjustable dumbbells for your home gym.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

The boxflex select-tech barbells look sweet...expensive as shit though

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

+1 on joining a real gym.

blue
    83 mustang 347

I've been using one for about 6 months.... I'm starting to notice a difference!!!!!

Silver
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Me too, thats why Im looking into a bowflex

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

i used a bow flex for a month... with a proper diet and what not you'll get good results...

Black
    2009 Cobalt SS

I have a bowflex but never use it. I always end up going to the gym cause I can't do much with the bowflex anymore, plus it's buried underneath a bunch of junk in the gameroom.

Kamen Blue
    05 Segueway

Quote Originally Posted by ztrouble View Post
    I've been using one for about 6 months.... I'm starting to notice a difference!!!!!

Click for full size
    lmafao

red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

a bowflex works but going to a gym and using free weights is better.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by Krazydan View Post
    Im lookin to buy a home gym. I know free wieghts are the way to go but Im looking into home gyms so my wife will use it too. Any body have any feed back on this thing. Of course the comercials make it look like the best thing in the world. Wanted to see what you guys thought of the Bowflex Revolution
    What are your goals?

What are your wifes goals?

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Let me simply state that resistance is resistance. Your muscles dont know where the fuck it came from. They only needed to be loaded with a workload that will fatigue them and facillitate muscle growth. For someone that doesnt or hasnt ever worked out before I can guarantee that regular use of a bowflex and eating right, they will definitely see results, how severe depends on a lot of variables. My statements on why I would consider the gym is that like anyother piece of home gym equipment they end up not getting used, covered in garbage, you trip over them, they get in the way, its a big machine that you'll have to move if you ever move to a new home etc. Being a member of a gym forces you to get off your ass to get your monies worth and you dont have to worry abotu the clutter. I also believe that gym quality machines are far superior to any home gym you are gonna find. Cybex>bowflex

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

And the worst part of it all, they all cost money. I wanna join a Gym but the fuckin closest one is about 25 miles away, 50 round trip. So for shits and giggles, say a month is 30 bucks, 50 miles round trip at approx. 13mpg, right now its 2.54 a gallon, thats $9.77 per day for just the gas to go to the gym, granted, not every day but you go what, 3-4 times a week? Shit adds up!

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am A4

I have a bowflex, it appeals to women to use it. but if you're hoping to actually increase size....free weights are the way. i know you know that already.

i only use the bowflex to help stretch.

Senior Member Blown Interceptor's Avatar

Black
    1999 Camaro SS

I have a Bowflex and use it on a somewhat regular basis. Got sick of going to the gym. It has served me well. I agree with what 310stanger said, "resistance is resistance". Free weights are not necessarily going to make you bigger over any resistance home gym, you have to have the right genetic make up or use steroids if you want to get huge ie:yates. It is the quality, not quantity of your workout...

I would love for someone to tell me the reason free weights are the best?
    Last edited by Blown Interceptor; 11-04-2008 at 08:04 PM.

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

My mom and dad bought this one when i was in HS and i used it mainly my junior and Senior year and i loved it. I liked it because it was simple to switch exercises and i could do anything i wanted to in the gym. We would haveto go lift in the mornings but i talked with my coaches and they allowed me to just use this in my house so i did not have to drive a half hour at 530 just to lift. I used it with supplements my senior year and went from 174-176 to 190-193 in 5 month but i lifted alot, even when i was just bored at home i would go use it... thats my 2c

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Blown Interceptor View Post
    I would love for someone to tell me the reason free weights are the best?
    Not rocket science here. http://www.gain-weight-muscle-fast.c...-machines.html

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

I believe in using both free weights and machines. I think they both have their merits. However I also really believe in isolation exercises. I feel like there is an over emphasis on the need to use stabilization during exercises. IMO if you are working quads, work quads, if you are working pecs, work pecs etc. Isolate your biceps with a quality biceps machine going really slow with the heaviest weight you can handle for 10 solid working reps and forced negative reps afterwards and your arms will be total jello when you are done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information