Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arctic White
    2002 A4,WS6

Is a BlueRay player worth the money?

I just got a HDTV and my DVDs look great. Is BlueRay so much nicer that it is worth spending $400 on a new player???

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

Buy a PS3. Well worth it for the Blu-Ray and games. Yes there is a HUGE difference between Blu-Ray and DVD.

Awaiting Activation

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6 D1SC

Quote Originally Posted by yellowv View Post
    Buy a PS3. Well worth it for the Blu-Ray and games. Yes there is a HUGE difference between Blu-Ray and DVD.
    Agreed, cant go wrong with the PS3.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

just as Yellowv said... yes bluray is that much better.

However what resolution is your HD TV and what size

if the tv is less then 40inches, the blueray will not standout as much because its hard for the human eye to see 1080 on a smaller screen.

if the tv is a 720 instead of a 1080 then yeah it will not beable to take full advantage of the bluray.

now if the tv is 1080 and 42" or more then yes get a bluray player. if you enjoy gaming, the ps3 is the way to go

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

Blu-Ray looks absolutely amazing on my 53" 1080p LCD. I mean you can see guys stubble just starting to grow in and were chicks have applied too much makeup. It is seriously clear.

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

Whatever you do be it getting a PS3 or a Blu-Ray player DO NOT be tricked into buying a $50-$80 HDMI cable. Yes you really need an HDMI cable to take advantage of Blu-Ray and HD, but a Blu-Ray cable should cost you no more than $10. monoprice.com I got a 10ft HDMI from them. It is very high quality and cost me 8 bucks and change shipped. Don't go for any of the Monster cable is better or whatever BS from the guys at Bestbuy or Circuit City. They are full of it. One HDMI cable is as good as the next. It's a proven fact.

Nothing special
    Nothing special

Whatever you do be it getting a PS3 or a Blu-Ray player DO NOT be tricked into buying a $50-$80 HDMI cable. Yes you really need an HDMI cable to take advantage of Blu-Ray and HD, but a Blu-Ray cable should cost you no more than $10. monoprice.com I got a 10ft HDMI from them. It is very high quality and cost me 8 bucks and change shipped. Don't go for any of the Monster cable is better or whatever BS from the guys at Bestbuy or Circuit City. They are full of it. One HDMI cable is as good as the next. It's a proven fact.

Good solid advice!

black
    1998 camaro

well, I think it really depends. I've had one for a year now and while I really love it I'm really into movies. The picture is very sharp , however the tech isn't yet where it really needs to be to get all of the benifits. The PS3 is probably your best bet , however the codecs for the best sound haven't been updated yet which is really dissapointing . I have a samsung and it has it's own problems.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

PS3 blu ray FTW!!!

i can not tell you how absolutly bad ass it is... fuck a stand alone player.. get teh PS3...

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by ibanez7 View Post
    just as Yellowv said... yes bluray is that much better.

However what resolution is your HD TV and what size

if the tv is less then 40inches, the blueray will not standout as much because its hard for the human eye to see 1080 on a smaller screen.

if the tv is a 720 instead of a 1080 then yeah it will not beable to take full advantage of the bluray.

now if the tv is 1080 and 42" or more then yes get a bluray player. if you enjoy gaming, the ps3 is the way to go

true... but a tv should be bought to the size of teh room and what range you will be viewing it from...

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

I missed a player that was on a one day sale last saturday for $150 (not bad brand ~ Sharp)

They are coming down finally....

Yeah, That's right CaptainCaveMan's Avatar
    Mexican killed my car

Quote Originally Posted by Kup98ss View Post
    I just got a HDTV and my DVDs look great. Is BlueRay so much nicer that it is worth spending $400 on a new player???

No, because not only do you spend the $400 bucks on the player, but you also spend all the extra money on the movies you will have to buy.

Unless you are buying a PS3 don't worry about bluray at the moment. This isn't like when people went from VHS to DVD, that was a huge difference and there is a difference here, but no where near what it was like then, anyone that says it's the same now as it was then is a fucking idiot that doesn't remember waiting forever for the tape to rewind or adjusting the tracking.

Unless you just have to have the latest and greatest let it pass until prices fall on the players (and more importantly the movies because that is the big nickel and dime).

However, if you are looking for a video game system, just get the PS3 and kill two birds with one stone and save money in the end.
    Last edited by CaptainCaveMan; 09-15-2008 at 10:54 PM.

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

another problem is that a 1080 tv usually has problems with the standard resolution, wich sucks when you watch regular tv a lot. at the moment you basically have to have two sets, one standard and one 1080 full hd with bluray.

Arctic White
    2002 A4,WS6

Thanks for all the advice.
    I figured I would get a PS3 for the value. There are only 2 good games on the system,(heavenly sword and Resistance) But it's a good value and I would like to play those games.
    I got a 46 inch Samsung 1080p 120htz by the way. So maybe I will notice the changes more.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

so very true.

cables are just like print ink, something cheap for the store, that they can rape your ass on.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    true... but a tv should be bought to the size of teh room and what range you will be viewing it from...
    i completely agree with that.

you dont wont to be squinting cause the tv is too small for the room, yet you dont want to be turning your head and moving your eyes too much cause the tv is too big for the room

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

I figured I would get a PS3 for the value. There are only 2 good games on the system,(heavenly sword and Resistance) But it's a good value and I would like to play those games.
    I got a 46 inch Samsung 1080p 120htz by the way. So maybe I will notice the changes more.
    you will notice it.

congrats on the setup and choice

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by ibanez7 View Post
    you will notice it.

congrats on the setup and choice
    +1...

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

There are a lot more games than that, that are good for PS3. In fact both of those aren't that great.

Arctic White
    2002 A4,WS6

There are a lot more games than that, that are good for PS3. In fact both of those aren't that great.
    I'm guessing sports and car games are your thing.
    I can't stand those games.

NBA jam was awesome though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information