Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bike people...

Black
    99 Z28

Bike people...

So for those of you who have road bikes, Harley type cruiser bikes, when they haven't been started for a while and you start them to run, how long should it idle to warm up before it's safe to drive? Just curious...

oh, and while it's idling is it "really" required to rev it several times when it's idling smooth?

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

i always allow any engine 5mins or more to warm up pending outside air temp.

and no... the people who rev cold engines are attention whores that where not loved enough as a baby.

never high rev a cold engine.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Quote Originally Posted by DrMilhouse View Post
    So for those of you who have road bikes, Harley type cruiser bikes, when they haven't been started for a while and you start them to run, how long should it idle to warm up before it's safe to drive? Just curious...

oh, and while it's idling is it "really" required to rev it several times when it's idling smooth?
    Not only are most of the attention whores' bikes fuel injected, even the old carbed ones don't need to be "cleared out" at idle. They are emissions jetted hot running engines and are even leaner with an aftermarket exhaust and no rejetting. I'd idle maybe two minutes then take it easy out of the neighborhood (big neighborhood) then have at it

It's only required to rev them and make alot of noise when leaving bars! Othwerwise just let them idle.

Black
    2001 Pontiac

Attention whores are the ones who sit at stop lights, revvin' the engine every once in a while, ..., gawd-damn that's phukin' stupid, ...

I don't 'warm-up' at all. Just start goin' but be reasonable, ...

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Yep, warms up way faster putting around easy than idling

black
    02 vette vert

just idle a minute or so, and as said before,take it easy till you build some heat. only reason to rev at all is if it's cold or cool out, give it a little rev to make sure i doesn't stumble when you pull out. [ unmodified fuelies are lean, if it's carb you may have the choke or enrichener backed off too far too early ]

Black
    99 Z28

as it turns out, the guy didn't actually drive it anywhere. just went out to the garage and fired it up and let it run for about 15 minutes, a rev here and a rev there, then turned it off and shut the door.

Faggots.

(Southpark reference - calm down there guys)

'05 Harley - 21k m
    '98 Z28 black - 69k mi

my 2005 Harley Davidson Softail is a fuel injected 88ci (1450cc) - it starts on the first turn of the crank everytime - even now with 21,000 miles, I let it idle a rare few seconds, let oil pressure reach top end, then let the clutch out - slightly modified with pipes and computer tuning, even more modified with the looks by adding 240mm rear, paint, wheels, rotors, brakes

my 2000 Kawasaki ZX9r (900cc) has four carbs, no fuel injection. I struggle to get this to light up in cooler weather. best way is full choke until smooths out at 4k rpm, then remove choke until smooths out at 3k, contiune in 1k increments until runs smooth at the 800/1000rpm idle
    Last edited by LimeNine; 01-21-2010 at 04:18 PM.

black
    02 vette vert

as it turns out, the guy didn't actually drive it anywhere. just went out to the garage and fired it up and let it run for about 15 minutes, a rev here and a rev there, then turned it off and shut the door.

Faggots.

(Southpark reference - calm down there guys)
    he probably dribbled some on his pants too.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

some bikes need more time my old iron head needs a few befor she will do any thing the rev for the most part is just crap but there are some bikes that they will load up at idal after they are hot. one of my buddys has a nice evo and he will start it turn the choke off and sit there and keep reving it (pisses me off to no end)

black
    98 WS6

it depends on the bike

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by gd1996 View Post
    It's only required to rev them and make alot of noise when leaving bars! Othwerwise just let them idle.
    That made me laugh. And... it's so true

black
    1998 Camaro Z/28

I let my bike warm up for about 5 minutes or until the temp gauge reading comes up, then off I go.

09 Vulcan 900 custom.
    2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
    1998 Z/28 Hardtop A4 | Y2K wheels | SLP Lid | Magnaflow catback |cutout | Hotchkis LCA'S/PHB | BMR TA and D/S Loop| Tuned by Frost....300rwhp/308rwtq

97 Cobra- bolt ons | full exhaust| 4.30's| suspension | SCT tune- sold!

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by 01 T/A View Post
    some bikes need more time my old iron head needs a few befor she will do any thing the rev for the most part is just crap but there are some bikes that they will load up at idal after they are hot. one of my buddys has a nice evo and he will start it turn the choke off and sit there and keep reving it (pisses me off to no end)
    a lot of older carb bikes are not jetted/set up correctly. most people tend to end up a little too rich when they're hot. as you said, they will load up at a light , ending up with reving to burn out the excess fuel. mostly the rear cyl. since it runs hotter. [ your buddy needs a little schooling lol]

Quote Originally Posted by 98Hardtop View Post
    I let my bike warm up for about 5 minutes or until the temp gauge reading comes up, then off I go.
    what is this temp gauge you speak of?

jk
    Last edited by dklowrider; 01-22-2010 at 11:33 AM.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

I just go and turn mine on in the living room every week or two for about 2 min or more then shut it off and disconnect the battery. Open up the choke and put it down a little by a little till it idles smooth. When its time to ride again i turn it on and ride around the block a bit and then go off into the city

Impounded
    gmcheviac

[QUOTE=dklowrider;2213637]a lot of older carb bikes are not jetted/set up correctly. most people tend to end up a little too rich when they're hot. as you said, they will load up at a light , ending up with reving to burn out the excess fuel. mostly the rear cyl. since it runs hotter. [ your buddy needs a little schooling lol][QUOTE]

The guys on fuelie 88's and sportsters piss me off. That bike will not load up. Also, why pipe it without a jet kit if you're carbed? Because alot of people are all for show and annoying people

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by dklowrider View Post
    a lot of older carb bikes are not jetted/set up correctly. most people tend to end up a little too rich when they're hot. as you said, they will load up at a light , ending up with reving to burn out the excess fuel. mostly the rear cyl. since it runs hotter. [ your buddy needs a little schooling lol]

what is this temp gauge you speak of?

jk
    my bike was like that with my old carb it was rust used up but the new ss i put on it works just right now that i have the right jets in it. an yes he dose i tell him all the time about that crap and give him shit all the time.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Not two words associated with each other.

My carbs take 5 min to warm up (idle) then your good. If feul injection, not warm up required, if running properly.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by LimeNine View Post
    my 2005 Harley Davidson Softail is a fuel injected 88ci (1450cc) - it starts on the first turn of the crank everytime - even now with 21,000 miles, I let it idle a rare few seconds, let oil pressure reach top end, then let the clutch out - slightly modified with pipes and computer tuning, even more modified with the looks by adding 240mm rear, paint, wheels, rotors, brakes

my 2000 Kawasaki ZX9r (900cc) has four carbs, no fuel injection. I struggle to get this to light up in cooler weather. best way is full choke until smooths out at 4k rpm, then remove choke until smooths out at 3k, contiune in 1k increments until runs smooth at the 800/1000rpm idle
    Click for full size
    Theres some green thing in your way when you took this pic BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by gd1996 View Post
    And at stop lights.... WTF. Why are so many (not all, so calm down) Harley owners douchers?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information