View Poll Results: Is this a purchasing motivator? [Check all that apply]

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • The tool is intresting, I would buy a set.

3 25.00%
  • The tool is intresting, I would NOT buy a set.

4 33.33%
  • The tool is not intresting.

8 66.67%
  • His commentarty was insightful.

4 33.33%
  • His commentarty was unhelpful.

5 41.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Big Daddy Don Garlits

Click to play

Drag race legend "Big Daddy" Don Garlits gives his commentary on LINK Tools and their breakthrough design. LINK hand tools use a patented locking mechanism designed by Pete Roberts, inventor of the Craftsman QuickRelease ratchet. Please take part in the survey above!
    Last edited by third_shift|studios; 03-05-2007 at 06:22 AM.

Custom Car Emblems
    from third_shift|studios
    Pittsburgh Car Detailing & Paint Protection from ts|s detailing
    jaison tortorea

Senior Member transamprincess98's Avatar
    CT6

I saw him and Shirley Muldoney (sp?) race each other 2 seasons ago. Nice grudge match with 2 retired racers

Shirley kicked his ass all 3 runs

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

There is no truth in advertising. That said, the concept makes sense to me especially in environments where heavy equipment might be out doors on a construction site in the mud or snow, or near water (working on boats), or at the track where time is critical between rounds. It also just seems a bit easier for us every day type of guys who get pissed off after dropping the socket changing plugs on an LT1 or something...

I have always enjoyed listening to Don and it has been a priviledge to have known him since I was eight years old.
    2002 Street ET Champion New England Dragway
    1999 Street ET Champion Oxford Dragway
    My Blog is here: http://www.downtime.com

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by tnthub View Post
    There is no truth in advertising. That said, the concept makes sense to me especially in environments where heavy equipment might be out doors on a construction site in the mud or snow, or near water (working on boats), or at the track where time is critical between rounds. It also just seems a bit easier for us every day type of guys who get pissed off after dropping the socket changing plugs on an LT1 or something...

I have always enjoyed listening to Don and it has been a priviledge to have known him since I was eight years old.
    That is a cool privilage! Oddly enough; Don invited us to shoot him commenting on these tools; we did not solicit him for video at all. We sent him a set, he loved it so much that he wanted to make a video for us; that's a genuine statement!

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

what the hell is up with you and tools?

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

marketing, hoss. i'm reaching out to the demogrphic do determine product placement.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Nice idea..............DO WE NEED A FREAKING POLL FOR IT????

Hell no!

Do we need a race legend hawking it??? Hell No!
    Can we see it's value??? Hell yes!

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Oh man....that is one tough sell. A guys tools...your in sacred territory now. Every guy/gearhead I know is brand loyal as hell to his particular brand of tools. Craftsman/Matco/Snap On etc.I do not know of a single guy that would buy another brand outside of his own damn collection of tools. Tools and beer. Sacred ground. Very tough (impossible) sell IMHO.
    The other problem is these locking extensions have been around forever man....
    I dont get it at all. I went to their website and they want a arm and a leg for their set of basic tools.....I have locking sockets and extensions from Craftsman today for much less ....I just dont get it...here I'll google...see what I get.....
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Set-of-3-Socket-...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MAC-TOOLS-3-...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Set-of-3-Socket-...QQcmdZViewItem

Shitload of the same things out there for a bunch less money. Sorry man....gonna need to get a red haired girl with great tig ol bitties....nekkid...and give free beer away to sell those things...what am I missing? I gotta be missing something here...what is it?
    Last edited by Sarge; 03-05-2007 at 10:48 AM.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

The link tools mechanism uses a sliding pin vs the competition's style of a locking ball bearing which are known to slip. The pin is made of titanium and will NOT budge under any torque load, infact, it will hold/lock tighter in that case.

Also, ALL link tools have locks on them, where as the products you show are just locking extendors; only extensions/bits/u-joints after the extendor are locked. With Link, the extendor is also LOCKED to the wrench via the wrench's locking collar. Same goes for the t-bars, breaker bars, palm wrenches and speeders; they all have locks to keep the next extension from falling off.

This page is part of Link's new website that I'm working on and will go into further description. keep in mind, it is a work in progress, some images and links may not work.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

No man....Many of the locking tools have slipped joints...so the harder you pull back the tighter they get...that shit has been around forever....
    My point is...your marketing better be aimed at old farts like me....cuz I cannot tell the difference in what I have and what that video shows....those thing have been around for years...and no I aint talking about the standard slip ball joint....Why is that better? I bet your salary...any guy that has been around very long would watch that and say the same thing I am. Nothing new and Garlits was paid to pimp this shit. Fair or unfair....just being honest
    Read the links I provided after 3.2 seconds of searching....and for the record my Craftsman have a release button...if I dont push it nothing comes off.

Description Item Specifics - Item ConditionCondition: New

You are bidding on
    Set of 3 Socket Locking Extensions 6-12-24" Lengths 3/8's Drive
    KEEPS YOUR SOCKETS FROM FALLING OFF IN THOSE HARD TO REACH AREAS.
    Works on a Wedge Principle, the Harder You Pull the Tighter the Lock Gets
    Once you use these extensions you not use any other.
    These extensions are new never used.
    Similiar extensions where sold by Matco, Stanley, SK and Facom to name a few. These where made for the GSA to reduce foriegn object damage FOD during repairs. What I'm selling is the over run and unsold product. High Quality Construction. The extension is a semi-automatic design which let you put on the socket like any other extension but to release it you need to pull back the nurled sleeve and the socket will come right off like any other extension.
    Buyer pays $9.00 shipping and handling. Feel free to ask questions before buying. Thanks for looking Jim

Last edited by Sarge; 03-05-2007 at 11:46 AM.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

you're still talking about locking extensions VS an entire LOCKING SYSTEM.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I'm being an ahole to help you get your marketing together But I'm also being a accurate ahole.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    you're still talking about locking extensions VS an entire LOCKING SYSTEM.
    No I am not. Craftsman has had the push to release forever. Here I'll show you....sheesh....
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CRAFT...QQcmdZViewItem

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

So I can/do have top quality sockets and ratchets that only release when I want them to. Will not fall off....so I am back to my original point....why would I drop $300 bucks for this? The same stuff is out there made by major manufactures that accomplish the exact same thing for a shitload less money and with lifetime warranty. Get to marketing there boy. This is gonna take some lipstick and a wig on that pig
    Here I'll help.
    Please pay more of your hard earned money for some name brand tools you never heard of that do the exact same shit as your favorite brand of tools do for less money. Why?Cuz...well...ugh....well.....ugh....that's why you marketing boys get paid the big bucks. Might want to think of some sexy panties to go with that lipstick and wig for that pig man

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

i was thinking the same as sarge my dad had this type years ago when we would wrench on cars ect. craftsmen has always been our choice you break it go get another one for free 10 mins from his house. and like sarge said to it'd hard to change people's mind on tools. agreed 100 %.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

The man who designed the quick release ratchet is the inventor of Link Tools. His name is Pete Roberts. Small fact, sears did not expect the quick release to sell like it did, and only paid Roberts a small comission. After millions of sales, he then lawyered-up and made back his $$. Robert's Link design is gaurded by over 20 patents.

I know you're being advocate

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I know all about that. I can read.....So Sears butt raped him as they did the Crescent wrench inventor...so this guy goes out and "invents" a variation of the same fucking thing to make some money back. I know...I know.....so now you guys have to go out and market this bullshit. So?
    Buy this shit cuz this guy got butt raped by Sears. OK....I'd work on it though
    Seriously...you must be aware there are better known tools out there that accomplish the exact same thing kid....been around for a long time.
    I'm back to tig ol bitties and free beer man

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    So I can/do have top quality sockets and ratchets that only release when I want them to. Will not fall off....so I am back to my original point....why would I drop $300 bucks for this? The same stuff is out there made by major manufactures that accomplish the exact same thing for a shitload less money and with lifetime warranty. Get to marketing there boy. This is gonna take some lipstick and a wig on that pig
    Here I'll help.
    Please pay more of your hard earned money for some name brand tools you never heard of that do the exact same shit as your favorite brand of tools do for less money. Why?Cuz...well...ugh....well.....ugh....that's why you marketing boys get paid the big bucks. Might want to think of some sexy panties to go with that lipstick and wig for that pig man
    zboner said he'll purty himself up once he looses a few lbs

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    I know all about that. I can read.....So Sears butt raped him as they did the Crescent wrench inventor...so this guy goes out and "invents" a variation of the same fucking thing to make some money back. I know...I know.....so now you guys have to go out and market this bullshit. So?
    Buy this shit cuz this guy got butt raped by Sears. OK....I'd work on it though
    Seriously...you must be aware there are better known tools out there that accomplish the exact same thing kid....been around for a long time.
    I'm back to tig ol bitties and free beer man
    pm'd

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    pm'd
    leave it hear it's more fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information