Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    91 Corvette

Best sport bike for 2 up?

I've decided to get another bike. I had a pretty horrific crash on my last street bike, but the pull of 2 wheels is strong...

Anyway, I am looking for a commuter bike. Something to ride to work, the movies, and on dates with my girl. Acceleration, cornering, and other performance is secondary to comfort. I'm not willing to go to a Buell/Harley, a goldwing, or anything like that. I want a bike that is comfortable for the rider and a 6' 140lb girl passenger, but I can still go have an OK time on by myself.

I was thinking, in this order:

2003+ SV1000
    2004+ R6/R1
    2004+ GSXR 600/750/1000
    Maybe an RR or a 954.

I saw an SV with a Suzuki fairing kit on it and it looked pretty good. Eventually, I think I can talk the girl into riding it solo, and the SV would probably be the best bike for her to learn on.

There's a commute that her and I make several times a week that is 80 miles 1 way. If we could make that 1 hour+ drive on the bike, and not be kinked up when we got there, that'd be awesome.

Thought's?

'57,'63,'70,'91,'01

The SV's are good bikes. I'd also look at ZRX1100 and 1200. Comfy and fast.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

IF it's comfort for two you want then I'd look past the split seat designs like the R6 and such, there are more comfortable versions like the yzf600r that are one seat, from what I've owned/been around chicks don't really care for the split seat cause it sits em so high and they can't hold on to you very well.

black
    98 WS6

how about honda 919? I just love naked bikes so that would be my choice

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

thats a very varied field of bikes your chosing from, i would not pick an r1 for a 2 up bike and i would never let my girlfriend ride it alone, you might as well give her a grenade to hold with no pin. same goes for any of the gixxers. for 2 up and still having real good performance take a look at an older cbr600 f4 or even f3 if your on a budget. they are fast, they are very comfy and they last.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

zx-9R is a very good bike . The zrx1200r or the FZR all good bikes.

Black & Brilliant Silver
    1999&1997 SL600 6.0 V12's

Quote Originally Posted by neat
    I've decided to get another bike. I had a pretty horrific crash on my last street bike, but the pull of 2 wheels is strong...

Anyway, I am looking for a commuter bike. Something to ride to work, the movies, and on dates with my girl. Acceleration, cornering, and other performance is secondary to comfort. I'm not willing to go to a Buell/Harley, a goldwing, or anything like that. I want a bike that is comfortable for the rider and a 6' 140lb girl passenger, but I can still go have an OK time on by myself.

2003+ SV1000
    2004+ R6/R1
    2004+ GSXR 600/750/1000
    Maybe an RR or a 954.

I saw an SV with a Suzuki fairing kit on it and it looked pretty good. Eventually, I think I can talk the girl into riding it solo, and the SV would probably be the best bike for her to learn on.

There's a commute that her and I make several times a week that is 80 miles 1 way. If we could make that 1 hour+ drive on the bike, and not be kinked up when we got there, that'd be awesome.

Thought's?
    awesome, just make sure to fill out you organ donor card. plz

I would reccomend a serious look at an FJR1300. I have an ST1300, which is a great two up bike as well, but the FJR is quicker and more sport orientated than my ST.

Both have integrated bags, which are really useful. I find myself using my bike as daily transportation since it is so useful. At $2.50 a gallon, it's easy on the wallet.

Black
    91 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by D!ck
    awesome, just make sure to fill out you organ donor card. plz
    Already done brother. I'm 25, don't smoke, exercise fairly regularly, have no family history of heart or lung problems, my liver is ineligible because my father died of liver failure, kidneys are good to go, and anything else anyone needs. I should be a good candidate for any type of organ donor program. Shit, if it was legal to sell organs in the US I'd be down 1 kidney, 1 lung, and one ball already!

I hadn't though of an older Honda, the F4 might be a really viable option.

Thanks, and keep em' coming!

1994 3000gt

I had an F3, really comfortable for two up, but not enough oomph when a passenger was aboard. I have a 929rr now, much more power, and not as uncomfortable even for a passenger as most would think. A corbin seat will help quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by neat
    Anyway, I am looking for a commuter bike. Something to ride to work, the movies, and on dates with my girl. Acceleration, cornering, and other performance is secondary to comfort.

2003+ SV1000
    2004+ R6/R1
    2004+ GSXR 600/750/1000
    Maybe an RR or a 954.
    Interesting topic. I'm in the market for a bike too and have been looking for a "balanced" bike that will seat two pretty well. I noticed some of your choices included the YZF R6 and R1 bikes. Those are two bikes that I wouldn't consider comfy for two or even close to commuter bikes. Great rides for sure, powerful and probably the best looking sport bikes IMHO. Anyway, I also wouldn't consider GIXERS to me great commuter bikes or 2 up either since they are in the sport bike category.

I recently read an article in a consumer reports and testing mag for bikes from a coworker and it had an excellent article on 3 great sport touring bikes; 06 Yamaha YZF 600RR, 06 Honda CBR F4i, and my personal favorite the Kawasaki 06 ZZR 600. The F4i was the only fuelie in the bunch and had the most RWHP at 90.1 but the carbed ZZR and YZF 600RR were very close with the ZZR putting down 89.7 RWHP and the YZF laying down 84.X RWHP. As far as the best balanced bike of the three per the testing, the ZZR came out on top with better/smoother throttle response, 2nd best seat (YZF was #1), and ride position. I'm certainly not trying to sell you on any particular bike but simply offer some alternative choices based on the criteria you provided. If, you are looking for a blend of power, style, and comfort for two, you may want to consider checking any of the 3 I mentioned out. As for me, I'm leaning towards the ZZR but haven't ruled out the F4i. You also mentioned the SV models and every mature bike rider I've spoken to has nothing but praise for the SV models. Anyway, have fun deciding and make sure you sit on them with your girl to get a better feel.
    2005 SRT-4 : Stock for now
    93 LX 5.0 : Vortech V2-SQ 3.33/6.87 * AFM power pipe * TFS Heads * Cobra Intake * 80MM Pro-M * 255lph in-tank/255lph in-line * SCT Flip Chip * Snow Stage2 Boost Cooler
    481 RWHP 455 RWTQ pump gas, 5600RPM, 11:5 A/F. before LT's Tuned by Kauffman's

MINE! Lol j/k

I have a 04 GSXR 750 with 2k miles if your interested.

hende80@yahoo.com
    Last edited by Hende; 03-14-2006 at 06:17 PM.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

true that . I went for the bigger Kawi because big tank and fairly cheap. There is also the F650 BMW. also you could get a few year old 1150gs. Those bikes are shaft drive and go forever. Alittle bit more cash up front but overall some of the best bikes made. IMO

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

true that . I went for the bigger Kawi because big tank and fairly cheap. There is also the F650 BMW. also you could get a few year old 1150gs. Those bikes are shaft drive and go forever. Alittle bit more cash up front but overall some of the best bikes made. IMO

Black
    91 Corvette

I did list the RR in my original post, but I see you point.

I am really thinking F4i. Cheap, not bad looking, and they are everywhere for real cheap, lol.

If not the F4, then the SV1000.

Thanks guys!

Black
    '05 Ninja ZX-10R

Most of the gsxr's, ninjas, and cbrs are too much of a pure sport bike to be comfortable for 2 up. Very aggressive riding pos, and dynamics change a lot when you've got a smaller engine. A 600cc will be considerably harder to ride 2 up. Consider the big sporty bikes. All the straight line power and speed with a much more relaxed and comfortable ride. The zzr-1200, zx-12r, cbr1100xx blackbird, and the hayabusa. They don't corner like an r1 or 10r would, but they're said to be much more comfortable to ride. Much more relaxed positioning, you're not always crouched over the tank and holding yourself up with your arms. Go try a ride. If these are still too uncomfortable for you, look into the sport tourer class of bike. Pretty much everything there fits you well. Join a bike board...

Black
    '05 Ninja ZX-10R

Just read your post over again. Saw you mentioned a race replica, not a good choice for riding comfort. I should also ask, what was your previous bike and experience? As you've found out, riding has inherent dangers. And a sportbike makes them come at you much, much faster. You will be on an extremely fast and powerful machine, easily capable of running 9's or 10's in the 1/4 if you do your part, and pulling over a g on the skidpad. It is not forgiving of mistakes. You get some head shake at 40mph driving down a nice residential neighborhood, accidentally grab at your throttle, and you'll be over 100mph before you can blink. I'm not going to preach. A lot of bike boards will tell you that you need to start off very slow. But I started on a 600 and I'm still alive, so I think you have to gauge your own maturity levels, and decide for yourself. The bikes I suggested are going to provide a good mix of comfort/power for pillion riding for responsible riders. But they also go very, very fast when you're riding by yourself. In the time it took to read this sentence, one of these bikes has just gone from 0-150mph and back to 0 again. Just be safe, have fun.

Black
    91 Corvette

I whacked a canyon wall at about 40 MPH. I was on a buddies 03 SV650 (I had an R1 at the time). There was a canyon that we rode 2 or three times a week. Obviously I murdered him through the canyon if I was on my R1 and he was on his SV. One week, we switched. I am/was a better rider than him, and could still out pace him through the canyon on his SV with him chasing on my R1. Every time we did it though, his skills were coming up, and he got a little closer.

Anyway, I was leading into a decreasing radius right hand corner, and caught some gravel. I went low side, and slid into the wall tires first. The tires hit the wall and stood the bike up which kind of catapulted me into the wall. I bounced off the wall and went about another 180 feet. I shattered my left femur (which is now titanium) and shattered my left knee cap. I caught my right leg on the bike on the way off and sliced a 7 inch long gash just above knee all the way to the bone. I cut tendons in my leg, and cut some big veins too. Then I bounced and rolled down the road, lol. I ended up with some busted up legs, and some minor rash. All in all, I was VERY lucky.

My buddy missed the gravel, missed me, missed his totaled bike, and shut down. He dropped my R1 and came running to me. As he came running to me, a police officer came driving around the corner. This canyon is out in extreme BFE. There's not another human being for 15 miles in any direction. Tell me there is no God when I wreck like that and within 10 seconds a cop shows up, lol. We've ridden that canyon, no joke, 25 times at least, and never even seen another car, let alone a cop. The ambulance was there within 20 minutes and I was taken to the hospital.

Anyway, through the work of a fairly miraculous surgeon, I made a 100% recovery. I can't run downhill, but other than that, I am basically as good as new. I did sell my R1 though.

So now, I am looking to get a commuter bike for my girl and I to tool around on. Nothing too fast, not gonna run any canyons, just something to get the freedom of a bike back under me. I don't want anything too fast, that's why the SV1000 is so appealing. My buddies SV was an awesome bike, underpowered, but an awesome bike.

Anyhow, I'll report back when I make a decision.
    Last edited by neat; 03-17-2006 at 06:45 AM.

Black
    '05 Ninja ZX-10R

Wow. I'm glad you're alright, and good to hear you're riding again. It really drives home those stories about riding with full gear, although I'm not sure just how much riding pants would help a shattered femur. I wear it to protect against road rash. Yeah, the SV650s are great, very fun to throw around. I understand they have a cult following. The V-twin is nice and torquey too. If you like the suzuki vtwin, but miss full fairing sportbike look, have you also considered the TL1000 s or r? It's pretty much a full fairing SV1000. I still think the zzr is a good choice to mix comfort and speed, not quite as much of a ultra high power tourer like the others. And invest in a good set of gear, especially since you're going to have your girl's safety in your hands too! Have a fun ride, it's always great to read stories about other getting back up and continuing to ride after a fall.

Black
    91 Corvette

Holy typo's in my last post. It's fixed now, and should make a bit more sense.

I hadn't considered a TLR, that's a good idea. I was going to get the Suzuki fairing kit for the SV if I went that route, but I bet a TLR would be more comfortable for her anyway.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information